The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Hi. I've been looking for a good jazz guitar to buy. The Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor-II PRO is within my price range. I like everything about it apart from the tinny tone that can come through. Is there anything else around the same price (I'm willing to pay a bit more) that has a nice warm tone (and that perhaps looks similar too)? Ideally, I'd like a Peerless Monarch, but I can't find them anywhere, so I don't even know how much they sell for. I think they've been discontinued, right? The Monarch is such an elusive guitar.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Did you actually play one? Mine was anything but tinny.

User Info Menu

I think the Guild A-150 Savoy punches above its weight for a learner. Can go a lot further than that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Did you actually play one? Mine was anything but tinny.
    No, I haven't. Maybe I've been watching the wrong videos. I'll give a try in a store nearby. In some videos it sounds warm and rounded.

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    I think the Guild A-150 Savoy punches above its weight for a learner. Can go a lot further than that, too.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out.

User Info Menu

I own and really enjoy Epiphone Dot Studio and a Guild T-50 Slim. D'Angelico SS Excel series are very nice. Eastmans are great.

Not trying to be controversial, but "jazz guitar" is quite a bit of a spectrum though. From Telecaster to Les Paul, 335, 330, 175, Super 400 to acoustic archtop and even flat top and classical. In the end it's the player that picks the design that fits them and their rig sonically and ergonomically and makes it a "jazz guitar".

I find that all guitars tend to benefit from being set up in a particular way to produce the more stereotypical jazz tone. Thicker strings, nickel, maybe flatwounds, action a bit higher than what would otherwise be normal for blues or rock. Low output pickups. Pickups further from the strings.

Picks at least 1mm thick, polished tip. Picks that are made from a material that is less "clicky". I like nylon (Dunlop Jazz III red, Fender Nylon).

User Info Menu

I always have my “jazz” guitars set up with a little lower action to facilitate fast runs. I have a little higher action on my blues/rock guitar to facilitate bending strings.

When it comes to PUs, it depends on the amp and the guitar. I tend to use medium output PUs, also HBs tend to work a little better. I do use a whole bunch of other PU types. P90 can be really sweet.

User Info Menu

Try in person. No reason for the Epiphone to sound tinny.

Amp is important.

User Info Menu

I think used D'Angelico EXL-1's are a pretty good deal. They are made pretty well and sound good.

User Info Menu

If you can find one, be on the lookout for a used Epiphone Emperor Regent.
    These are excellent guitars for even a seasoned veteran.
    A used one should run you $700 - $800.

Good Luck, Joe D

User Info Menu

i went to see jim mullen play
    the other day

he sounded wonderful on his
    Aria FA71

they're 25.5 scale by the way

User Info Menu

one in Canada...Aria FA71 | Reverb nice price...

User Info Menu