The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Just got a 10" Mambo wedge this afternoon. Plugged in briefly, so too early for a proper review. I really like the tones so far.

It is less boxy than the Champ, and the tone controls are much more flexible. At the same time it is quite hard to get a bad sound out of it, unless you go for extreme EQ settings.

The voicing switches are really well thought out and all pleasing in a different way. The harmonic setting gives a bit of a richer tone which I like.

More headroom than the Champ, less boxy.
    Also smaller and lighter. Came with the soft case.

Works great with 175. High notes are nice and round, lows are clear. The tone is well balanced.

Reverb is better than I expected, would not mind using it as a primary reverb. For the reference, I have UA Golden and Strymon Flint on the board.

Kudos Mr. Mambo!

Mambo 10" Wedge-img_20220805_152500-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Can't wait to try it with other guitars and plugging Iridium into the FX return.

User Info Menu

Cool amp! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Tried with other guitars. Interesting.

175D VOS has MHS buckers which are rather smooth and darker than the others. Dot Studio with BurstBuckers which are rather bright. Guild T-50 Slim with Franz which is P-90-ish and brightest of all 3 but also has a nice low end. All three sounded good. This is the first amp where I felt no need to tweak the EQ when switching between them. Just fine tune the top end with each guitars tone knob to taste and let each guitar sound like itself, and it still comes out fairly balanced and pleasing.

So far my favourite mode is Bright (Fender) and Harmonic on. EQ 12 o'clock. Gain 9-10 o'clock. Reverb mix 12 o'clock, decay 1 o'clock.

The cabinet is a bit directional and brighter straight up, but slightly off-axis it is perfect. Which means it also sounds good across the room.

It is very quiet when idling compared to my Champ, sometimes I forget I have it on!

User Info Menu

Oh, I see that the mambo has some aesthetical upgrades... Nice logo. And what is this protection thing that shines through the covering?
    Best, lapideus

User Info Menu

It's the beam blocker, improves the spread and reduces the high frequency ice pick when pointed straight at you. You can buy an aftermarket one if you think you might need one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by burchyk
    It's the beam blocker, improves the spread and reduces the high frequency ice pick when pointed straight at you. You can buy an aftermarket one if you think you might need one.
    Thanks! I see! Is this one a special order or is this the current regular Mambo?

User Info Menu

I have no idea, got it second-hand

User Info Menu

Is Mambo amps still active? Contacted them a while back about purchasing an amp but haven‘t heard back…

User Info Menu

Dunno sir-vector. I got mine second-hand. I believe there is at least one forum member who has been in contact with the builder in the past and might have his number.

User Info Menu

@sir-vector have you tried calling the contact phone number on the website? E-mail sometimes gets snagged by junkmail filters and never reaches the intended recipient.

Info from website:
    Contact
    please phone
    Jon on +44 (0)7762 158326
    or you can email
    info@mambo-amp.co.uk
    Mambo Amp

If I'm not mistaken the forum member @burchyk is referring to above is @Franz 1997 - perhaps he's been in touch with Jon Shaw recently?
    Last edited by v281; 08-18-2022 at 11:44 AM.

User Info Menu

Can't wait to try it with other guitars and plugging Iridium into the FX return.
    Please let us know how it goes the Strymon Iridium with the Mambo Amp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_175
    Please let us know how it goes the Strymon Iridium with the Mambo Amp.
    Actually pretty nice. It is a different sound obviously on the Vox and Marshall setting. But even the Fender (Round) has a different voicing from built-in Bright on Mambo which is supposed to be Fender-like.

Neither is necessarily better or worse. Built-in preamp feels a bit more direct and natural but not sure if the listener would be able to tell which is which unless they know the tonal imprint of each. Iridium has more gain available. Mambo reverb is placed after the FX return so can be used together with outboard preamps like this. And it is a nice reverb as I said previously.

Tempted to get some nice tube preamp like a Kingsley.

Have to mention the master is very good, it's linearity especially at lower volume levels. Much easier to manage loudness and it is not coupled to the amp tone like the volume control on the Champ.

I've got Fulltone '69 mk2 (GE fuzz face) and MXR FET Driver and both sound great in front. Nothing fizzy or harsh. Will try a Tone Bender next.

Wish I could use Mambo as an external cab for the Champ. Don't know if I can plug into the external speaker socket or need to open it but have no idea how.

User Info Menu

Neither is necessarily better or worse. Built-in preamp feels a bit more direct and natural but not sure if the listener would be able to tell which is which unless they know the tonal imprint of each. Iridium has more gain available. Mambo reverb is placed after the FX return so can be used together with outboard preamps like this. And it is a nice reverb as I said previously.

Tempted to get some nice tube preamp like a Kingsley.

Check out this tube pedal by Hagerman -- pretty cool for the price!

User Info Menu

Re post 11...that would be me..I last talked to Jon around 6 weeks ago; he was still building amps, but like other builders, he has supply chain difficulties . I have another email address I can try if it would help. PM me. I do remember he said his gmail account was playing up and putting new emails in the spam box.