The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

So, I used to play a blonde Peerless Gigmaster Jazz years ago. It was a great guitar and served me well, but there was always something about the pickups that didn't quite capture the sound I was after.

I went through a solid-body phase a few years ago and sold the Peerless. I wish I had held onto it and swapped the pickups, but oh well. You live and learn, I guess.

I've now come back around to gigging on an archtop again--a Peerless Imperial, which is an amazing instrument, but since most of my gigs are outdoors/high temperature/high humidity/high volume etc., I'm always loath to bring the fully carved guitar out in those conditions.

So, I'm looking to get my hands on a nice laminate ES-175 copy. I've been talking to Masaki Nishimura about his ATC175 guitars, and I'm seriously considering taking the plunge on one, but I wanted to see if anyone here had any experience with them they might like to share.

The only other guitar I'm considering is this new T49D/v that Eastman is producing. They are both around the 2000 USD price point and seem to be very similarly designed.

I'm not sure about the Archtop Tribute, but it looks like the Eastman has a very thin finish, which may make it more sensitive to humidity changes, but I don't know.

What do you all think?

Thanks in advance for sharing any insights you might have!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have an Epiphone ES175 Premium, and I think it's as good as a Gibson. I'm not sure if they're still being produced, but they come up on the used market. Just make sure it's the Premium, and check that the pickups are real Gibson Classic 57s, reportedly the pickups in the base model don't sound as good, and people strip them out of the Premiums for separate sale, replacing them with whatever they have. A real Epi Premium is a great bargain, though, at least IMO.

User Info Menu

Have not tried that specific Eastman, but had played other models and was quite pleased with the quality and sound.

I've got '59RI VOS though, simply for the experience of owning one. Gibson being Gibson, it needed quite a bit of work

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I have an Epiphone ES175 Premium, and I think it's as good as a Gibson. I'm not sure if they're still being produced, but they come up on the used market. Just make sure it's the Premium, and check that the pickups are real Gibson Classic 57s, reportedly the pickups in the base model don't sound as good, and people strip them out of the Premiums for separate sale, replacing them with whatever they have. A real Epi Premium is a great bargain, though, at least IMO.
    Interesting that you mention these, as I just happened to see one up for sale on Reverb. I looked into them, and it seems that they were made with quite a slim neck, which is not my preference. I definitely find the chunkier necks more comfortable. How does the neck on yours feel?

User Info Menu

It's okay for me, but it is on he slim side, the thinnest of all my necks. That's pretty much what you're going to find on ES175s from the past few decades. It's a pretty faithful copy of an ES175. If you must have a chunky neck, I don't know what to recommend.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by c.mf
    So, I used to play a blonde Peerless Gigmaster Jazz years ago. It was a great guitar and served me well, but there was always something about the pickups that didn't quite capture the sound I was after.

I went through a solid-body phase a few years ago and sold the Peerless. I wish I had held onto it and swapped the pickups, but oh well. You live and learn, I guess.

I've now come back around to gigging on an archtop again--a Peerless Imperial, which is an amazing instrument, but since most of my gigs are outdoors/high temperature/high humidity/high volume etc., I'm always loath to bring the fully carved guitar out in those conditions.

So, I'm looking to get my hands on a nice laminate ES-175 copy. I've been talking to Masaki Nishimura about his ATC175 guitars, and I'm seriously considering taking the plunge on one, but I wanted to see if anyone here had any experience with them they might like to share.

The only other guitar I'm considering is this new T49D/v that Eastman is producing. They are both around the 2000 USD price point and seem to be very similarly designed.

I'm not sure about the Archtop Tribute, but it looks like the Eastman has a very thin finish, which may make it more sensitive to humidity changes, but I don't know.

What do you all think?

Thanks in advance for sharing any insights you might have!
    Before COVID-19 I have tried the ATC175 in Tokyo. I liked it a lot, the craftsmanship and looks are better than of the similar Gibson model. As Masaki may have told you, the 'C' stands for Custom. It means the guitar is made by the same group of luthiers who build the Westville guitars. I guess no need to tell you how good these guitars are.

User Info Menu

Thanks for your input, sgosnell! I appreciate it and will keep those things in mind. I asked the guy selling the Epiphone if he wouldn't mind measuring the neck and getting back to me, so we'll see.

User Info Menu

"I'm not sure about the Archtop Tribute, but it looks like the Eastman has a very thin finish, which may make it more sensitive to humidity changes, but I don't know."

I'm not sure sure finish thickness will change humidity resistance- the insides are all unfinished and vapor will get in though the F-holes.
    Stringed instruments have been using this varnish for generations before archtops became a going concern.

You would probably find design choices such as multi-piece necks and laminated body constructions contribute the most to Humidity resistance.
    Any ES-175 copy is likely to be laminate body construction as that is the design of the ES-175 (Feedback resistance)

I don't know how robust the Eastman vintage varnish is compared to a Nitro finish. Is it pure shellac or a modified violin varnish?
    Stringed orchestral instruments don't see nearly as much body rubbing against the instrument compared to a Guitar body.
    Sure look pretty though.

User Info Menu

FWIW I have the Pisano AR380ce which to me at least is "like" an es-175 but ~0.55" thinner.

Like in the sense of Body shape and width, 2 set in HBs with laminated maple construction, 24 3/4" scale length, trapese tail and floating bridge. Nitro.

Beyond that, similarities start to deviate a little or a lot. Tailpiece is wood over metal, fretboard is ebony, neck is 3pce etc etc. NOT the same pickups. Laminate thickness is probably different but it depends I hear on what year you are comparing against. I am of the understanding the Eastman laminate is thinner than more modern ES-175s, but having never owned let alone seen one (old or new) I would not know.

Works well enough for me!

EMike

User Info Menu

Wow, that Eastman T49D/v looks exactly like me Eastman 371, except a lot more.

User Info Menu

Vintage models
    Ibanez 2355
    Aria Herb Ellis

User Info Menu

If you can find a used Guild X150 Savoy, check it out. It's very similar to an ES-175, made as well or better, and has a chunky neck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Vintage models
    Ibanez 2355
    Aria Herb Ellis
    Some years ago I did own a 1978 Gibby 175 as well as a 1977 Ibby at the same time. See the picture. The sound is very comparable. Hard to tell them apart. The feel and the looks are nowhere near. I would say that the Ibanez. although costing half the price of the real 70s deal , is worth about half as well, may be even a bit less. The neck feels really like a slim U profile, a bit like a Gretsch, inlays feel plastic. the looks are way less, no where near the vintage Gibson ES175. But if the budget is tight, it is a good alternative and reselling will not cost you dearly ever.

Help me choose a laminate ES-175 copy-dsc00948-jpg

User Info Menu

+ 1 on the Epi 175 Premium

Seventy Seven Hawk Deep or Hawk Jazz Deep. The MIJ versions are really good, but hard to find. Not exact copies of a 175 cosmetically, but they capture the vibe and have chunky necks (the Hawk Jazz has a lam spruce top so, a little less "thunky" than a real 175).

Ibanez FA100
    Ibanez FG100 nails the sound (check out Dutchbopper's videos with it), but looks very different.
    Aria EA-650

Eastman AR-372 captures the look, but not really the sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chazmo
    If you can find a used Guild X150 Savoy, check it out. It's very similar to an ES-175, made as well or better, and has a chunky neck.
    And almost as much as an ES175. If, you can find one. People hang onto them.

I prefer archtop’s at least as deep as a ES175. There aren’t many guitars that meet that spec. The depth contributes to its sound.

I’ve owned the Epi Premium. Great tone. If you can deal with the thin neck. Priced from $1k to $1500.

If I was going to purchase an Eastman, I’d not obsess over the finish. I own two, a rare Jeff Hale Eastman 803 16” with a sweet tone, but it’s 2 3/4” depth. For a deeper tone the size of a traditional 17” I’ve an AR610.

I’ve never seen a used Eastman w/ it’s finish worn through. But hey, I’m only a home player that’s not thrashing the guitar on gigs.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the input, everyone!

@2bornot2bop, you know, now that you mention it, I'm thinking that the slightly slimmer body depth of the Gigmaster Jazz might have also contributed to the lack of "that sound".

FWIW, I own a couple of Eastman guitars and love them. I've played on a few AR371/372s, though, and they didn't scratch that 175 itch for me.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

So I ended up buying an Archtop Tribute ATC175D from Masaki at Walkin' guitars, and I just wanted to chime back in to say that the build quality on this thing is seriously top notch. The neck is perfect, sound is excellent--I can definitely say that the itch is scratched. I enjoy playing this more than any real ES-175 I've ever played (which admittedly isn't that many). In any case, I would highly recommend checking them out if you're in the market for something like this. I will try to post a video soon when I get some time. Thanks again for all the input and advice!

User Info Menu

Congrats! I never heard of that brand (Westville). They look nice.