The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
    Seems a bit silly, but what do the midrange Notch and Frequency controls do on the Luna.

My (questionable) understanding is that the Notch sets a specific frequency, and then the Frequency adjusts the +/- of the midrange centered at the frequency set by the Notch? Even simpler, Notch sets where the midrange EQ adjustment happens via adjustment of the Frequncy.

Thanks all!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If you are getting feedback, move the frequency knob to find the problem and than use the notch to cut that frequency out.

Quote Originally Posted by SandChannel
    If you are getting feedback, move the frequency knob to find the problem and than use the notch to cut that frequency out.
    So then the Notch is the +/- adjusting amount of mids about the frequency set by the Frequency control?

User Info Menu

Yes, but in a very narrow range.

EQs have a broader range whereas a notch focuses on an extremely narrow range. You can use an EQ to bump the mids or roll off some highs. A notch will target a narrow and specific tone. Lets say the feedback causing frequency is 820. You will target and notch the narrow range of 820, but if you used an EQ to do the same, you could end up taking out a large portion of your mid range and sounding like you've scooped the mids. You would only use a notch filter for targeting feedback, but not tone shaping.

Below is a pic of a notch.

Raezer's Edge Luna EQ Question-15a-notch-filter-500x300-png

And, this is a pic of a notch overlaid on a more typical bell curve. You can see the much wider Q of a standard EQ.

Raezer's Edge Luna EQ Question-15b-peak-filter-500x300-png
    Last edited by SandChannel; 08-04-2022 at 08:21 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the above explanation! I'm using my Luna only occasionally, as a test amp in one particular location. No wonder I haven't found a meaningful role for the notch feature. The amp came with no manual, so I thought it's the midrange eq with an adjustable shelf. Apparently, something much narrower. Responding to my earlier question on this, some users gave very precise settings for the two knobs.

User Info Menu

My understanding (perhaps incorrect) is that one controls the frequency to be notched, the other controls how much the notched frequency is reduced.