The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I always figured I'd use my AI Corus for just jazz gigs and big band gigs, but I decided to try an experiment for a musical I'm playing that features a lot of acoustic guitar-nylon and steel string, and some early rock styles.There's no pre-1960 music in the show.
    I decided to try a combination I've never used before, my parker solid body and the AI.
    The AI brings out the acoustic sound of the Parker's piezo beautifully for the acoustic parts, and even handles my Boss Super OD pedal nicely.
    Experiment = Success!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Love my Corus Series III.

User Info Menu

I always thought the Corus was especially great for nylon string guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan0996
    I always thought the Corus was especially great for nylon string guitar.
    Yeah, they're superb for any acoustically based string instrument.
    I'm literally in Nirvana on this show, because the blend with the piezo and the keyboard, cello and violin is out of this world!
    The fact that they are classically trained musicians, who can also play the heck out of the rock-based numbers doesn't hurt either.

The Corus can also handle my Boss Super OD pedal fine. The guys in the band thought I was using at least two guitars on the show; an electric and an acoustic.
    The writing for guitar was done by Michael Starobin, who has orchestrated for Sondheim and many others, and really knows how to make both single-lines and chords blend in with the other instruments beautifully.
    If I had chosen any of my other six amps for this show , it would've been a real letdown. The same goes for guitars.

The AI Corus was so good, the bass player thought I was playing acoustic guitar all this time!.
    I much prefer playing a show like this than using some fat,bloated body, flat top with with damn .013s on it.
    Just too heavy for a good blend with the violin and cello.

User Info Menu

What is the show? I usually use nylons through either of my Genzler Acoustic Arrays, or if I am realy squeezed, the Hen Bud 6.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    What is the show? I usually use nylons through either of my Genzler Acoustic Arrays, or if I am realy squeezed, the Hen Bud 6.
    ps - Doing 3 weeks of Kiss Me Kate in Sept. Never done it before, lots of classic standards. Looking forward to it.

Dogfight by Pasek and Paul. It was taken from a movie about three marines going off to Vietnam in 1963, and the Marine tradition of making a bet on who can find the ugliest girl and bring her to a party. The Marine with the ugliest girl wins the bet.
    The lead just happens to bring an aspiring folksinger/guitarist, and the pit guitarist has to play her guitar parts while she fakes it on stage. There's a lot of guitar in the show.

User Info Menu

Unusual use for my AI Corus-thanksgiving-new-179-jpg

I've played quite a bit of rock & roll through a Coda/Corus/Ten2. Works great and everyone loves it.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Dogfight by Pasek and Paul. It was taken from a movie about three marines going off to Vietnam in 1963, and the Marine tradition of making a bet on who can find the ugliest girl and bring her to a party. The Marine with the ugliest girl wins the bet.
    The lead just happens to bring an aspiring folksinger/guitarist, and the pit guitarist has to play her guitar parts while she fakes it on stage. There's a lot of guitar in the show.
    What actress wants to be cast as the ugliest girl...

There was a girl in my wife's high school who always got cast as the old lady, because she looked the part.

What actress wants to be cast as the ugliest girl...

There was a girl in my wife's high school who always got cast as the old lady, because she looked the part.
    LOL!!! That's what I was thinking before I went in!
    It turned out to be an overweight young woman who could sing and act really well, but I wouldn't describe her as ugly.
    The actress who won the 'dogfight' was actually pretty hot, but she was a hooker who was hired by one of the Marines (breaking the rules).
    She was a 'veteran' of many dogfights, because she had no front teeth, and cursed like a longshoreman.
    The whole show had a lot of cursing in it- even in the lyrics to the songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny W.
    Unusual use for my AI Corus-thanksgiving-new-179-jpg

I've played quite a bit of rock & roll through a Coda/Corus/Ten2. Works great and everyone loves it.

Danny W.
    Yeah, I was surprised how well it reacted to my Boss Super Overdrive pedal. I've done a lot of shows, but I never considered using it for them before. It would probably work well in Godspell, too. Some people don't think it can do rock, but with the right pedals it does just fine.

It was a 400 seat theater, so I was thinking of bringing down my Redstone-12, but I would've drowned out the whole band.
    I subbed for a rocker who drowned out an entire orchestra with a Roland Jazz Chorus at a big theater in Manhattan
    When I did it, it sounded like a completely different show. Dynamics are everything in that type of work.

User Info Menu

The keyboard player in my big band uses an older AI (I don't know which model.) Sometimes it breaks up a bit, probably because he always plays too loud.