The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Hi.

After I while away from the guitar, I've just ordered an Ibanez AS93FM (AS93FM | AS | HOLLOW BODIES | PRODUCTS | Ibanez guitars) and are looking for an amp to go with it.

Some possible options I have the moment - i.e. second hand amps that looks to still be available - are:
    1. Line 6 CATALYST 60w
    2. Fender Mustang GTX 100 and Fender Mustang GT 100
    3. Fender bassbreaker 18/30
    4. Fender champion 40
    5. Fender Mustang 4 V.2 and Fender Mustang IV
    6. Fender mustang 3 V.2
    7. Peavey delta blues 210
    8. Boss Katana 50 mk2
    9. Blackstar Silverline Special 50 W Combo
    10. Fender Pro Junior IV LTD SE
    11. Fender Blues junior III

These are quite different amps, and I'm open to try both tube amps and digital amps.

As of tonal preference, I usually prefer quite dark, clean possibly with a slight breakup, sounds. If I can get into the ballpark of Jens Larsen or John Scofield, although I know these are quite different sounds, it'd great.

Any help in picking an amp or two will be appreciated!
    Last edited by kenneho; 08-03-2022 at 12:58 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Probably a lot of those amps would work for you. I suggest taking your new guitar and playing it through as many of them as you can until you find one you're happy with. Personally, I'd lean towards one of the Fenders or the Boss.

User Info Menu

Peavy lacks head room

i quite like the boss katana

No opinion on the others

User Info Menu

I'd look at various BassBreakers, decent tone, although they are reported to be hard to repair.

Thanks for the replies. I'll look around and see what I end up with.

User Info Menu

Fender Champion 40 has received a lot of praise.

User Info Menu

Yamaha G50 or G100, any series or speakers.

User Info Menu

I would rule out all the 3 Mustangs. They have so artifical, characterless sound, especially in clean settings they kill your guitar. The built in tuner also useless.

User Info Menu

Congrats on the AS.. those are fine guitars at a great price in the Exprrssionist series.
    What is your top money limit? Makes it easier to advise.
    At this time in guitar amp evolution IMHO would not consider the one trick ponies but go modelling. There was a new firmware update to the Katana mkII recently and its getting good comments. If youre into Sco a modelling amp will give you lots of chances to nail his various sounds without a zillion pedals. Jens gets a great sound, dunno what his chain is. Do search and i think youll find the Katana mkII amps are coming on strong as the firmwsre evolves.
    IMHO would avoid Fenders they dont seem to go warm at all anymore.
    But… you can always put a bass speaker in and warmth will follow.
    have fun!
    jk

Thanks for all the excellent input. I ended up going for a Fender Mustang GT100. Hopefully I'll get it to sound awesome.

User Info Menu

That's a good choice. You should be able to get many different sounds out of it. There's a lot of online support (youtube etc.) for the Mustang amps.

User Info Menu

Good choice, if I was fast enough I would have proposed the katana