The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

What's the consensus here about using open vs. closed back amps/cabs for a more traditional archtop type jazz sound?
    I find closed back amps sound more focused but they are also quite directional so placement is more touchy in a gig situation.
    What are your thoughts?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by jazzmanstever; 08-03-2022 at 10:30 AM. Reason: wrong icon

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There's also ported cabinets which is a variation on closed back.

Then there are Flat Response Full Range (FRFR) speakers used with modelers. Usually closed back but a different sort of set up.

Then you have to consider mic'd vs not mic'd.

And are you looking for a muddy, treble roll off sound, mid-scooped, or more acoustic?

Don't think there is consensus on anything around here. Which is a good thing.

Personally I like the sound of an open back cabinet with a mid-scoop Fender black face tone in small spaces.

User Info Menu

Open, with lots of circulating air for hot tubes.

User Info Menu

Yes, ported as well. I think I like the more focused and somewhat compressed sound of a closed back cabinet but they are so directional that sometimes it's difficult to position things in a live gig situation so that it projects to the audience (as well as the other band members) and I can hear it clearly at the same time. Open back cabs seem to spread the sound around a bit more.

User Info Menu

For playing out, open back. As has been mentioned, less directional, allowing other musicians to hear better. And I think it sounds more “open”.
    And I always tilt my amp back.

User Info Menu

I must prefer open, because I've sold off every closed back amp that I've owned over the years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzmanstever
    Open back cabs seem to spread the sound around a bit more.
    I think it's more than that. The output from the back of the speaker is 180 degrees out of phase with the forward radiated sound. And it's reflected from multiple surfaces throughout the room into which it's playing. This is a simple form of reverb, and I think it has the same effect. Sound from an open back cab is "bigger" because it has a lot more reflected content - this is just another mild reverb effect.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gilpy
    For playing out, open back. As has been mentioned, less directional, allowing other musicians to hear better. And I think it sounds more “open”.
    And I always tilt my amp back.
    The tilting is essential. If there is FOH it face it to me as a personal monitor.

User Info Menu

Open back for me, for all the reasons expressed above. An exception would be the early to mid '60s blond and brown Fenders. But just leave me to my Fender Tone Master Deluxe and I'll be perfectly satisfied.

User Info Menu

I see "focused" as a positive attribute to closed-backs, but don't know what it it stands for, as opposed to "directional", which is a negative. But then, I've never owned, let alone built, a closed cab. Ported, yes, for a deeper bass end and reasonably broad projection, but open-backs are efficient (i.e. loud for the wattage), omnidirectional and "airy", whatever that means.

User Info Menu

For a small, easy to carry amp, much prefer closed for improved low end.

User Info Menu

I always read focused to mean punchy or tight because directional would be a negative attribute.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vintagelove
    For a small, easy to carry amp, much prefer closed for improved low end.
    But most small (8” or less) combo amps and speaker cabs are not fully sealed. If not open backed, they may look sealed but are vented, ported, etc for bigger bass. A well designed sealed cab with a well matched speaker will make tighter, more natural bass and can go every Hz as low as almost any vented design of the same size. But a sealed cab requires far more amplifier power to reach the same output level as an equivalent ported cab.

User Info Menu

All very good points!

User Info Menu

If you don't have an open back, where do you put stuff?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    If you don't have an open back, where do you put stuff?
    The drum set at the club in which my band has played for years is next to the Blues Deluxe in our backline. Our first call sub has kept his favorite sticks and brushes in there for years. The last time he played with us, he reached in and discovered that they'd been removed! We don't know when or by whom, but someone stole the beaters.

Open or Closed Back Amps/Cabs-its_always_something-jpg