The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Yesterday I visited a friend and compared his original 1967 ES-330 with my recent copy ('59 VOS) and while these two have the critical differences in neck size and width (1967 had the narrow 40 mm nut width) we both took just seconds to adjust to each one.
    My test ist to play the bridge of Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue. If I can manage the chords with the narrow fingering I'm fine with the guitar.
    He liked the beefier neck of mine better and I thought that his pickups had a hint more clarity – obviously we didn't change the amp settings. We were both amazed how similar the guitars were beside this obvious differences. What nags me a little bit is that he paid less for his "birth year guitar" (we were both born in 1967) like 7 years ago than I paid for the copy / reissue in 2019. But Gibson seems to do a good job with these VOS-Models.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A 330 is on my wish list. From my experience shopping for 175s I will likely end up with a VOS.

User Info Menu

But such an occasion is sure worthy of some photos!

User Info Menu

I'm not a great fan of Gibson but I really liked the VOS 330 when it came out. I thought the feel of the neck was very nice and the whole quality of the build just really stood out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    But such an occasion is sure worthy of some photos!
    I thought of it today but did not last afternoon. Sorry.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I'm not a great fan of Gibson but I really liked the VOS 330 when it came out. I thought the feel of the neck was very nice and the whole quality of the build just really stood out.
    I was looking at one in the local music store but it took me a while and when I finally decided to buy it it was gone. I drove home frustrated and checked their internet site. I saw one and ordered. It was the most expensive guitar I bought so far, so I didn't take it easy. When it eventually arrived it rattled like crazy. I took me a while to find out it had double spoke wheels at each bridge post which were loose. Then I had a luthier look after the also rattling switch.
    So yeah, it took some nerves but eventually the guitar became my favorite instrument. It has a lot of character.

User Info Menu

Interesting comparison! Back in the day I had a ´67 330. Sold it somewhat regrettably, so when the reissue VOS 330 came out around 2012 I was curious.
    Took the trip to my local friendly guitar shop, tried one out and was hooked. Came home with the blond....!
    In my opinion the reissue is a way better guitar, but this is remembering the ´67 I sold thirty odd years ago.
    The neck and playability are predictably more comfortable, but the sound is also much more usable.
    I couldn't get the old one to be more than a Chuck Berry soundalike, whereas the reissue is a genuinely versatile guitar, covering jazz to Beatles via country, blues and rock & roll. (And doing it well)
    It is possible that the limitations of the owner/guitarist had some effect on the perception of that ´67.
    Anyway, there is no doubt that that first batch of reissue 330s are brilliant guitars, and from a sample of two, better than the old ones.
    As always YMMV, IMHO and so on.

User Info Menu

The big-neck reissue ES-330 guitars are fabulous, IMO.

User Info Menu

I love my VOS 330. Never tried a vintage one. It’s a 2013 or 2014 which is when they introduced the new MHS? pickups I found it, believe it or not, on Amazon around 2016. It was listed as used. I took a chance considering their return policy.

It arrived in a brand new case with a COA. It appeared new but was probably sitting somewhere a while. The neck had a huge bow and there where rattles from the bridge and tail piece. I called Amazon and the immediately took $450 off. I tinkered a little and got it squared away.

It wound up costing me around $1,500. Nice fat neck, I love the pickups and it sounds great unplugged. It’s probably my best deal ever.

I’ve since looked on Amazon for similar deals and have found nothing like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Will Box
    Interesting comparison! Back in the day I had a ´67 330. Sold it somewhat regrettably, so when the reissue VOS 330 came out around 2012 I was curious.
    Took the trip to my local friendly guitar shop, tried one out and was hooked. Came home with the blond....!
    In my opinion the reissue is a way better guitar, but this is remembering the ´67 I sold thirty odd years ago.
    The neck and playability are predictably more comfortable, but the sound is also much more usable.
    I couldn't get the old one to be more than a Chuck Berry soundalike, whereas the reissue is a genuinely versatile guitar, covering jazz to Beatles via country, blues and rock & roll. (And doing it well)
    It is possible that the limitations of the owner/guitarist had some effect on the perception of that ´67.
    Anyway, there is no doubt that that first batch of reissue 330s are brilliant guitars, and from a sample of two, better than the old ones.
    As always YMMV, IMHO and so on.
    Amazingly the old one had a more comfortable action than my VOS. I asked him if a luthier we both know and respect did set it up, but he said it came that way when he bought it.
    I couldn't spot out any big difference in tone and versatility – only that my neck pickup may sound a hint fuller and louder than his. My friend is more like an indie rock and folk type of player. So meeting up with him taught me what a 330 can do in that regard. OTOH I had no problems to get tones à la early 60s Grant Green or Kenny Burrell tones from either guitars. We played his new single and I was able to get a nice tone for some country licks on his old guitar I threw in on top of the cowboy chord strumming he played on my VOS.
    It seems like the meeting also got me a new / old job as bass player in the reincarnation of the (indie rock) band we founded in 1987 (which I left only a couple of years later). He asked me the next day. Looking forward to do some festivals next summer.