The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Odd topic, but it just came up.

I usually sit in an ordinary chair and I play with my foot always on the volume pedal of a Boss ME80.

But, I'm about to play some gigs where that may not look right. I don't want to stand, so my alternative is a stool.

When I get it high enough to not look silly in front of a microphone (for talking and singing), I'm not comfortable reaching the pedalboard. So, I put a old hardside briefcase under the ME80, which looks a little stupid, but which works fine. I'll take a drum throne to the gig that adjusts to the height I want, about 4" over a standard chair seat. That's also about the thickness of the briefcase. I also picked a music stand that goes lower than most, so that I'm not peeking out over the stand to see the audience, and vice versa. The old big band stands which were low with a nearly horizontal desk gave me the idea.

Which led me to wonder how other people do this.

Any thoughts to share?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Bought mine when they were a lot cheaper. Now over $300 and wouldn't pay that even though they are the best guitar seat ever. Still.. as an example of a higher seated position for mic and pedal, there's the K&M guitar performance stool. Note that they also come with a removable backrest.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Bought mine when they were a lot cheaper. Now over $300 and wouldn't pay that even though they are the best guitar seat ever. Still.. as an example of a higher seated position for mic and pedal, there's the K&M guitar performance stool. Note that they also come with a removable backrest.

THIS, for about 80% of my gigs . Mine has a canvas seat cover - you have to clean it from time to time but your butt stays cool and dry ;-)
    I have my right foot on a volume pedal and the left foot deals with the switches on my Helix Stomp. I had to adjust to the new XL-version of that
    pedal since the 4 preset/snapshot switches are now in two rows so I have to aim quite carefully when I need to hit a switch on the upper tier - it works.

User Info Menu

IKEA Franklin stool, $49. Light, foldable, comfortable, been using one for years (as has my bass-playing band mate). I play with a volume pedal (right foot on it 80% of the time), a pedal board, and a Bluetooth page turner (left foot).
    FRANKLIN Bar stool with backrest, foldable, black, black - IKEA

User Info Menu

Yes, Ikea makes (at least made) that folding bar stool in two heights.
    I carry both in the trunk of my car. I use the taller one when I'm playing a gig where I don't need to access my pedalboard very much and the shorter one one when I'm using a looper pedal often. They're great and have back support as well

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzmanstever
    Yes, Ikea makes (at least made) that folding bar stool in two heights.
    They still have it.
    One other nice thing about the Franklin stool, my favorite gig accessory (drink holder) clips onto the tubular legs, a bit more discrete than attaching to the music stand, and it's positioned where your left or right hand would naturally drop.

User Info Menu

I use the "Original Guitar Chair" Oak Guitar Chair - The Original Guitar Chair

User Info Menu

Funny how many of you are using the Ikea Franklin chair! I also pack that one whenever I'm playing with my Swing Band!
    As that band is really into vintage aesthetics i put some Teak-stain on the wooden parts, and some gold spray paint on the legs. Worked great, holds up well, and works much better with our stage Design.

Paul

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Webby
    Funny how many of you are using the Ikea Franklin chair! I also pack that one whenever I'm playing with my Swing Band!
    As that band is really into vintage aesthetics i put some Teak-stain on the wooden parts, and some gold spray paint on the legs. Worked great, holds up well, and works much better with our stage Design.

Paul
    Pics?