The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 39 of 39
    Last edited by Lucy; 05-23-2023 at 04:25 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Congratulations on that splendid LH Gretsch. Seems to me that you are ultra happy with that. Gretsch has allways been different from all the other brands. They really stand out. Over the years I have and still own at this time a couple of very, very nice Gretsches. Once in a while somebody will come up and say : you can't play jazz on a Gretsch. IMHO you can play jazz on any guitar. And one of my all time hero's Freddie Green proved it by playing a Gretsch Eldorado for decades in the Count Basie Bigband.
    I still carry his 1950s signature in my guitar case to every performance so that a piece of him is with me at the gig
    The final choice of 2 Epiphone Broadway / Gretsch G5420 lefty-21543751_1703720476366300_3804663546111112771_o-jpg

Last edited by Lucy; 05-23-2023 at 04:28 PM.

User Info Menu

#11 JS will be fine of course, I use them with the Gibson Scale length and play with fingers ( thumb and middle ) too.

plektrum players may prefer thicker strings, as in #12, 13 ...

outstanding feel with these strings, sound of course too.

please report how you like them, after they have settled in.

Last edited by Lucy; 05-23-2023 at 04:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Filmosound 621
    ^^ way sweet guitar, I have only admired these from a distance so far.

be sure to buy the "right" size of strings, as in not too thin.

maybe a start with JazzSwing #12 is fine ?

they might sound "funky" at first , don't let that scare you off, they should well tame

the brightness of that guitar.
    For straight-ahead jazz, I would do 12's too (I do 11's on my 6120 currently), altho Brian Setzer uses 10s and still gets a great jazzy tone out of them

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    Thanks Ruger I've not really listened to Setzer much certainly will now.
    Listen to the big band stuff- Brian Setzer ORCHESTRA- for the jazzier playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vintagelove
    You’ll eventually regret either purchase. The flipped guitar will eventually get on your nerves with the knob and cable position. The gretch isn’t really a "jazz guitar". Might as well get a LP if you’re gonna do that.

Keep saving for a used Peerless, or an Eastman. Also the budget Ibanez suggestion above is worth considering.

The Gretsch really IS a jazz guitar, if you play jazz on it. In fact, it's a superb jazz guitar, and an LP is boring in comparison.

Last edited by Lucy; 05-23-2023 at 04:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Good choice. You will be better off sticking with guitars meant to be played by a lefty .Good luck and best wishes.. mickmac

Last edited by Lucy; 05-23-2023 at 04:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    The Gretsch really IS a jazz guitar, if you play jazz on it. In fact, it's a superb jazz guitar, and an LP is boring in comparison.

I thought he had originally mentioned this gretch, which is certainly further down that road than what he ended up with.

Access to this page has been denied.

As for a LP being boring, that’s just silly. If there’s a guitar that can do anything, it’s a LP.