The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 30

User Info Menu

Hi, everyone,
    I am asking you for ultra slim pickup purchase advice.
    I do not have an archtop, I have a Yamaha silent classical with steel strings, I like this guitar, but I would like to add a humbucker to have a "sweet jazzy" sound (Ed Bickert sound, Kenny Burrell sound, etc...).
    I am thinking of buying an ultra-slim humbucker. I was thinking of purchasing the "Lace sensor ultra slim acoustic, " but I haven't found any video on youtube (there are only resonator guitar videos).
    Also, the Krivo would be an option, but since I am in Italy, buying a krivo is not so easy.
    The lace will cost me around 160$ the Krivo 240$ shipped.

I need a slim pickup to attach at the end of the neck without milling the guitar.
    Do you think that I can have the sound that I am looking for? Do you have a different solution to suggest to me?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Insane idea. I like it. Maybe you could try with a cheap knock-off of a Kent Armstrong ultra slim floater - I don't know if something like the Artec Jazz Mini Humbucker would fit - to see how it sounds first. Use putty to fix it in position before drilling screw holes, right? Have you thought about where you'd put the pots and jack socket?

User Info Menu

You want a humbucker so feel free to ignore this suggestion I guess, but the D'Armond 1000 and 1100 (with adjustable pole pieces) Rhythm Chief pickups are among the thinnest I've seen and the reissues sound as good as any to my ear. You can find the reissues if you look around and they're quite affordable compared with the originals.
    Ultra slim pickup?-screen-shot-2022-08-02-6-39-56-am-pngUltra slim pickup?-screen-shot-2022-08-02-6-39-21-am-png
    But they're not humbuckers.
    Good luck with finding what you need.

User Info Menu

Just how slim does it need to be? How much clearance is there when you press a note at the last fret?

User Info Menu

Search for Barcus-Berry dobro pickup, or Hi Tek. I had one on a Johnny Smith whose neck had been planed down. The pickup sounded fantastic. They're very hard to find now, and pretty expensive. I'm holding on to mine in case I ever get an old archtop that needs it.

barcus berry dobro pickup - Google Search

Very Rare Discontinued Barcus Berry Dobro Pickup | Reverb

User Info Menu

I put a Schaller Jazz pickup on my archtop. It's about 7mm thick. Look at this: Schaller Bass, Schaller Jazz und Western Pickups

Schaller doesn't make them any more, but they should be readily available on the used market.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

ALD in France have a 6.5mm thick humbucker with an external volume control box intended for Selmer type guitars. The pickup is made by Benedetti, so you could also contact them directly if you don't want the volume control.

ALD Micro ALDtone - ALD
    Benedetti Accueil | benedettipickups

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    I put a Schaller Jazz pickup on my archtop. It's about 7mm thick. Look at this: Schaller Bass, Schaller Jazz und Western Pickups

Schaller doesn't make them any more, but they should be readily available on the used market.

Thats look similar to the Barcus Berry I mentioned.

User Info Menu

Wow, here's one on reverb *in Italy* at a very reasonable price. That could be your ticket. At that price, it's worth trying. If you don't like it, flip it. But I'll bet you'd like it.

Shaller Jazz Pick-up 2000 Black | Reverb

User Info Menu

I’ve got just two words: Kinman. If they have something thin…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Antonio Surdo has a page on FB and also a website in Italy. He makes very slim pickups for guitars, particularly gypsy jazz guitars.

User Info Menu

Had this and it is very nice, balanced pickup Kent Armstrong Adjustable Floating PAF (Handmade) - DjangoBooks.com

Dunno if it is going to fit though. Also the tab might be awkward.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    This. I have one on my 63 L7c and I honestly like it more than I was expecting to. It's a nice mellow, really 'sweet' sounding pickup that I think nails the 60s archtop tone. Although the 60s L7 is a good starting point for that haha.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.
    Yesterday I tried my di marzio dp139 reference acoustic.
    With this the tone/timbre it is very similar at what is achievable with on board electronics…. At this point I have some doubt of what I can achieve wit my idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found an online shop with one Schaller Western 10/40 new old stock.
    I bought it and mounted with some blue tak on my Yamaha nylon silent guitar with a set of Thomastik KR116. I am very pleased with the result.

User Info Menu

Ebay uk
    Guitar Pickup Schaller Archtop Made IN Germany | eBay

User Info Menu

I use a Lace Ultra Slim on my arch top and it sounds great.

User Info Menu

Something I am confused about. It is a Yamaha Silent Classical (nylon) but with steel strings on it? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Something I am confused about. It is a Yamaha Silent Classical (nylon) but with steel strings on it? Why?
    Hi, yes you are right.
    the strings have the same tension as the nylon ones. The reason is that I like the nut width and the string spacing at the bridge of the classical guitars. Unfortunately the market does not offer nothing with those characteristics (at my budget at least).

User Info Menu

Hi,

I read your post on adding a slim pickup at the neck of your silent.
    I have the same issue, have you done It?
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Cri75!
    Hi, yes you are right.
    the strings have the same tension as the nylon ones. The reason is that I like the nut width and the string spacing at the bridge of the classical guitars. Unfortunately the market does not offer nothing with those characteristics (at my budget at least).

User Info Menu

I have a brand new Krivo pickup humbucker that I just bought but ended up not using. It is 6.2mm thick and will work for anything. You can simply use putty to hold it to the soundboard no modifications. You need to add a jack and volume control and that can be done easy. The simplest way is wire a mini jack to the leads and use your amp to control volume. Send me a PM if interested in the pickup $175 plus shipping.
    Micro-Stealth PAF-Style Pickup for Archtop Jazz Guitar (krivopickups.com)

User Info Menu

Try Peter Biltoft at Vintage Vibe Guitars especially for a custom made pickup.Great results for me on several occasions, highly recommended!

User Info Menu

I came across those while researching about the Häussel pickups that came with my used Yamaha tele. Seem to be quite slim. There is a little more information in the catalogue (p. 9), unfortunately everything is only in German. There is also a custom shop for special orders.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Try Peter Biltoft at Vintage Vibe Guitars especially for a custom made pickup.Great results for me on several occasions, highly recommended!
    I second that. Pete Biltoft is very accommodating with regards to custom requests and his pickups are still affordable - and they sound great. I have them in three guitars and one lying idle avaiting installation. It's not relevant in your case, but he even makes pickguard assemblies with PUs and controls mounted for example for Strats and Teles.