The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Anyone use them? I typically use TI Jazz Swing flats but I tried some Pyramid chrome flats and like them better. I recently got another acoustic flat top and want to try acoustic flats on it. One of the few choices are from Dogal. Pretty expensive. Just wondering if anyone likes the brand.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi
    Not the answer you’re looking for, but since you asked about the company…
    Never tried the Acoustic Flats, but did try their electric flats.
    I thought great sound and feel, but at $40 they should be.
    IIRC the D snapped after less than a week, so I never went back.
    Their classical strings have a very good rep, I’ve used the Diamantés, liked them.
    Somehow supporting a company in Venice as it slips below the seas seems romantic.
    jk

User Info Menu

I bought a couple of sets of Dogal 80/20 flatwounds but have not used them yet. The guitar they are going on is an acoustic archtop with a 25.5 scale. My aging fingers cannot play roundwound 80/20 strings (12's) these days on a guitar with that scale length, so I am hoping the Dogals work out. If not I will stick with TI Flats (12's) on that guitar.

If I can get a sound like this guy does with the Dogals, I may keep using them:

User Info Menu

I put a set of their brass flats on my Stromberg G1. The second string (A) was dead. I would have contacted the company for a replacement but what with one thing and another didn’t get around to it. Eventually I replaced the wound strings with nickel but kept the two high strings on the guitar, where they still sound fine months later.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    I typically use TI Jazz Swing flats but I tried some Pyramid chrome flats and like them better.
    Why?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Why?
    They seem to have a softer feel. Might just be me. They are also less expensive.

User Info Menu

Dogals are my favourite flats. Garrison Fewell turned me on to them. He loved them, his number 1 choice. I love them. They sound really responsive and the feel is very, natural? Hard to describe but as far as flats, yes I will never recommend TI's after playing Dogals.
    Personal choice, obviously

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    If I can get a sound like this guy does with the Dogals, I may keep using them:
    That may require playing in an olive orchathedral

User Info Menu

I had been using TI GB 12s, and decided to try the Dogals after reading about them on this forum. I use the R40, the Expressive Jazz Strings 12s.

They're a little more expensive, but the TI GBs were already expensive. The Dogals seem to last a long time, and I like their acoustic sound.

User Info Menu

I've used the Dogal Nightclub V25 80/20 Bronze Flat wound round core strings
    They are great sounding strings, easy to play with a low tension feel and no string squeak.
    The Dogal V25 are my favorite acoustic guitar strings but they've become too pricey for me.

My recent alternative to the Dogal V25 are the Magma Flat Phosphor Bronze GA120PBF hex core,
    which are my second favorite acoustic guitar strings.
    The Magma GA120PBF strings are about half the cost of the Dogal V25 strings.

These Magma strings are not flat wound but are round wounds that have been
    ground and polished to a really smooth, no string squeak finish.
    The Magma GA120PBF sound a little darker and have more string tension than the Dogal V25.
    The Dogal and the Magma both seem to have a long string life.

User Info Menu

Yep I’ve used both the expressive and evolution flats. Very similar but the expressive are a lil less percussive and feel smoother. I have evolutions on now tho. 12-52.

they ended my personal string search. They’re fantastic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dhd
    My recent alternative to the Dogal V25 are the Magma Flat Phosphor Bronze GA120PBF hex core,
    which are my second favorite acoustic guitar strings.
    The Magma GA120PBF strings are about half the cost of the Dogal V25 strings.

Interesting!! I notice they're phosphor bronze, a metal wrapping usually used for acoustic (often flattop with contact pickups) and often less magnetic interaction with electric pickups. Do you use these with a magnetic pickup?
    I used to really like labella press wounds, similar idea, but they stopped making them (why? dang!). I may have to try them. Thanks for the heads up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Interesting!! I notice they're phosphor bronze, a metal wrapping usually used for acoustic (often flattop with contact pickups) and often less magnetic interaction with electric pickups. Do you use these with a magnetic pickup?
    I used to really like labella press wounds, similar idea, but they stopped making them (why? dang!). I may have to try them. Thanks for the heads up.
    I use them on my flat top acoustics, no pickup.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dhd
    I use them on my flat top acoustics, no pickup.
    May be time for a Magma Stainless Steel ground wound research project. I didn't find them offered by JustStrings but I did see them with Stringsbymail. Always good to know there are lively squeakless strings out there. Thanks!