The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

ok this is getting redikahlus another mini farm scenec beautiful is opening up with a venue.Was asked if i would be interested in playing there.Does any one think My eastman 403 would be bad idea for out door ?If so what budget guitar would you recommend under 700.00.not afraid to spend a lot less i just want it comfortable to play.My Polytone sounds great also with a good vocal mic.But an amp suggestion as well.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EarlBrother
    ok this is getting redikahlus another mini farm scenec beautiful is opening up with a venue.Was asked if i would be interested in playing there.Does any one think My eastman 403 would be bad idea for out door ?If so what budget guitar would you recommend under 700.00.not afraid to spend a lot less i just want it comfortable to play.My Polytone sounds great also with a good vocal mic.But an amp suggestion as well.
    I play outdoors all the time with all my guitars, including a regular outdoor gig with my Seventy Seven archtop. Nothing bad happens. If it gets dirty, I wipe off the dirt. If I had an ar403 I’d play that (or any other Eastman.

Outdoors per se is not a risk to a guitar. Dodgy venues where it might get stolen or knocked over are, but that’s just as likely indoors as out. Keep it in sight and in the case between sets and it’ll be fine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EarlBrother
    I play outdoors all the time. In the hot Florida sun I need to wipe the moisture off my guitar neck, but no damage. I would suggest a laminate if playing an archtop in direct sunlight...and wear a hat.

theres enough of these places now to merit a little investment.if neede hah thanks again John A

User Info Menu

I play my AR 610 outdoors no worries.

User Info Menu

My only bad experience, reported earlier, was a very rainy August day a few years back. We were playing in a tent, but my Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin absorbed so much moisture that its fretboard curved outwards, making it non-playable. A single-slab neck, be it mahogany or cherry, is more sensitive to moisture changes than necks glued together from several layers of different woods. Can't say anything about solid maple, but if Strats and Teles were equally moisture-sensitive, the world would know.
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 07-30-2022 at 03:48 PM.

User Info Menu

I’ve played a solid body on almost all outdoor gigs for many years. Back in the day, I remember sweating all over my 175 when it was my only guitar and I had no choice. I wiped it down several times during a gig, and it never suffered at all. I even got caught in a few showers over the years, with no damage apparent except for the time I touched the mic and my guitar strings while standing on wet grass. I got a real charge out of that encounter.

But once I could afford multiple guitars, it was either an LP or a Tele, even for outside gigs under a cover if the weather was dicey. They’re tougher than archtops, easier to protect, and less likely to be harmed. But if you don’t ride ‘em hard and put ‘em in the barn wet, most guitars will be fine most of the time.

Back in the ‘80s, I bought a used Epi strat clone for $50 to keep at work and use when I really didn’t want to risk a better guitar. It wasn’t bad at all, although no one mistook its tone for Bickert’s strat.

User Info Menu

If there is a real stage with a roof, or a tent, I dont mind bringing out a L5. If there no such thing and there is a rain forecast and I have to play under the open sky, I bring something less costly like an Epi Sorrento, a Les Paul or a 6120 along, just in case.
    If it rains, often the performance gets delayed due to the weather circumstances.
    A fellow guitarist was once booked on a cruise at the river Rhine. had to play every day at the uncovered upper deck. He had no spare guitare with him and regretted that very much once it started to rain. Thats why I keep a close eye on the rain forecast...