The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 57 of 57

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg
    Danocaster is a well-respected "partscaster" builder.

Danocaster

Wherever he is getting his bodies and necks from doesn't seem to bother anyone.

He's selling everything he builds as far as I can tell, and the used ones for sale are asking more than he charges on his website.

Maybe Nacho is doing the same magic with outsourced bodies and necks. I guess they are in Europe since I see Euros mentioned on the restocking fee.

I do get a tickle out of this at the Nacho website:

"Only members of the Nachoguitar club receive our product offerings."

Not sure I want to join a club that would take me as a member.

Didn‘t know that. By the way, Julian played a Danocaster before his Nacho

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nacho Banos recently acquired a warehouse full of old swampash from a timber merchant in Valencia who imported it some 60 years back for a guitar building project that never took off. This would seem to suggest he makes his own bodies, and, I believe also, his own necks. Ron Ellis informed me by email, that he hasn't supplied Nacho with pickups for some time, so he probably winds these now too. He has a team of 3 or 4 people building the Nacho guitars, and suggests interested parties register their interest. Those who do get to hear first what is available when a 'new' batch is produced, and these are usually sold within 2/3 days. He also now builds to order. I've always found him helpful and very agreeable.
    By the way Project Music in Devon have three JL470s in stock at about £750 less than Coda Music, if you have to buy one and you're UK based.

User Info Menu

Collings Electric Guitars

^^ Link to Project Music UK

I don't listen to Julian Lage and I do not want the guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stefan eff
    oh yes, sure:

Attachment 93625
    this is a swampash thinline with maple top, angled neckpocket (to avoid a shim), bigsby b-16, barfuss pickups. Truarc serpentune bridge.
    Attachment 93626
    the neck is a aaaaa-flamed roasted maple fat neck (maple cap).
    My favourite guitar. Handmade.
    Sounds like a dream, plays like butter.

*and this guitar is truly no alternative to the collings 470jl (even if the special wound neck pickup sounds somewhat similar, it‘s a fat one with >10.000 windings and old jazzbass magnets), so sorry for being completely o.t. Anyway:
    It‘s really a magic pickup and everything but a regular telecaster type ;-)
    holy wow, that neck is gorgeous!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sully75
    I'm of the somewhat unpopular opinion that 89% of a guitar's tone is the pickups, 5% the setup and the other 6% is also the pickups.
    My past experiences say otherwise. Guitars, even solid bodies, have an inherent tone and no amount of pickups can change that. I've had a few over the years that no mater the pickup swap they always sounded pretty much the same. If the inherent tone was thin, then it was still thin after a pickup swap. It was different, but still thin.

Same works other way, if a guitar had a solid thick tone, it would retain that tone with a pu swap. I have a tele that no matter the pickup it always sounds kind of the same and that sound is amazing. I have another tele that sounds thin no matter what I do. Had similar experience with a Epi 335 pu swap from cheap Epi HB's to early Gib 57's.
    Last edited by street; 08-07-2022 at 12:08 PM. Reason: spell check....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by street
    My past experiences say otherwise. Guitars, even solid bodies, have an inherent tone and no amount of pickups can change that.
    s.
    Totes. There’s a YouTube clip from a guy who built 5 interchangeable bodies, ash, mahogany, particleboard from a door, maple, something like that. All pluggable to the same extended neck with pups. And while he was showing “there’s no difference in sound” and stuck to it, I could clearly hear significant differences even on my phone speaker!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    Here's something to argue about: I think Julian is the greatest player to come along since Metheny. As much as I respect him and his need to earn a living, I find his amazing talents largely wasted with the americana schtick he's currently playing.
    Love's not the only thing that hurts!
    I agree. I’m a big fan and I do enjoy his crunchy guitar trio records, but I think Worlds Fair is maybe the most inspiring guitar record of all time and the trio stuff doesn’t hit me like that. Of course who am I to tell him what to record seems like he loves playing folk and Americana inspired tunes with the trio