The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 74

User Info Menu

I like my Korg AW something because it uses AAA batteries.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I just learned a few months back to not use a pick when setting to a tuner. Use my thumb to lessen the attack and get a more accurate reading.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G
    I like my Korg AW something because it uses AAA batteries.
    I still use my Korg GT3 at home. I switched to clip-ons long ago, but I won't leave one on my nitro finished or French polished guitars because they can make permanent marks in the finish. So I leave the Korg on my studio desk and go to it when I only have a few minutes to play and grab a guitar with no tuner on it. I don't know its rated accuracy - I bought it so long ago that the manual is buried deep in the pile, and I can't find any specs for it online (without going to one of those mass manual sites, many of which are flagged as unsafe by Norton and Kaspersky).

For recording, I've started using online strobe tuners, which show the exact frequency to 0.01 Hz along with the strobe display. Both StroboPro and TBStrobe are pretty good.

Clip-on Tuner-strobopro-jpg
    Last edited by nevershouldhavesoldit; 07-28-2022 at 01:35 PM.

User Info Menu

+1 For the TC clip on (Uni or Poly). The best.

User Info Menu

I purchased a Snark ST-8hz tuner perhaps a year ago and am very pleased with it. It sometimes takes a few trieals moving from the high E to B Before it picks up the string change but then OK. I have recently heard relatively strong criticism in general of these small clip on tuners but when I comprared it with a Peterson Strobe I have it was spot on. Very inexpensive too.

User Info Menu

I've been using a Korg Sledgehammer Custom 100 for a few years and I'm very pleased with it. The fact that it uses a AAA battery is a significant bonus.

Sledgehammer Custom 100 - CLIP-ON TUNER | KORG (Canada - EN)

User Info Menu

The TC Polytune Clip arrived today. It is much smaller than I expected, for some reason. The clamp is nice and secure although it sticks out and is more obvious that I really care for (one of the reasons I liked the D'Addario NS tuners was that they are really subtle visually). It seems to be well-made and feels pretty solid in the hand. After figuring out how the buttons worked for setting tuning mode, in standard mood mode it operates easily and accurately. The strobe mode is something that will take a little getting used to so, I have not tried that very much, although given I am using it with an archtop guitar with a wooden bridge I'm not sure that accuracy to 0.1 cents is all that helpful, anyway. The NS tuners were never reliable on the low E string on any of my guitars, the Polytune seems to nail that without difficulty. Overall tuning accuracy is noticeably better compared to the NS.

User Info Menu

Followed my own advice and bought a Peterson Strobotune clip on after liking their pedal board model so much.

It's not the cheapest. $80.

It's appears to be very well made.

Great clip.

Small size.

Don't know about battery life yet.

Works just like any other strobotuner. Easy to use. Accurate. Not overly fussy.

I would report downsides but other than price haven't noted any. Like it quite a lot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Followed my own advice and bought a Peterson Strobotune clip on after liking their pedal board model so much.

Great clip.

Small size.

I

I would report downsides but other than price haven't noted any. Like it quite a lot.

I bought the Petersen Strobe clip on at the advice of others. I have used it now for a number of months and it could very well be the best guitar related product I have bought that goes with a guitar besides the strings. I now use if for all repairs and intonation setting much better than the needle Krog I was using. This is fast and reliable. I was concerned at first since I do so much neck work and fret dressings, that not being able to see the actual number of cents off or on, it would be a problem. But now I see the amazing way it captures the note and no need for this in setting intonation. Of course, just using myself to play my own guitars it is great. Best cash I have spent period.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410

Great clip.

Small size.

Yes, its really good, the only slight minus is battery life because there is no auto sleep, so if you want to save battery you have to remember to shut it down between tunings. I have a stack of cr2032 instead, and think of them as coins for the jukebox

User Info Menu

I buy CR2032 batteries in semi-bulk via ebay, rather cheap. Even if they're not the absolute best, no problem, they all go dead after use anyway, and an hour or so less isn't a big deal to me. They're small. light, and easy to carry. I keep a couple in the case I bought for the Peterson, just in case. I usually remember to turn the tuner off, and the battery lasts long enough, months for me.

User Info Menu

Until about 1990, I always used a blue steel A 440 tuning fork and then my ears. Then, I got in a situation where I had to tune my classical guitar backstage with a lot of choristers mingling and talking. Fortunately one of them had an electronic tuner in her purse, so I used that. I then went on a search of a good electronic tuner, tried lots of different ones, always had to tweak the tuning to my ears after matching them. Then I got a Peterson Stroboflip and fastened it to my music stand, first tuner that I didn't need to tweak, even my 12 string. Now I also have three Stroboclips kept in different cases, and may buy one or two more (of the newer design) for other cases. Having multiples prevents me from putting one down and "losing" it or searching through several cases to find where it is.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohanAbrandt
    Yes, its really good, the only slight minus is battery life because there is no auto sleep, so if you want to save battery you have to remember to shut it down between tunings. I have a stack of cr2032 instead, and think of them as coins for the jukebox
    no auto off ??

(thats a deal breaker for me)

User Info Menu

I think there is an auto off, but it won't kick in as long as it's receiving vibrations. The TC tuner I have turns off automatically after 30 seconds, whether it's getting signals or not. That gets to be a PITA sometimes. That's way too soon, and I haven't found a way to change it. I haven't checked closely on the Peterson, because I turn it off manually, but it does stay on as long as it's on the guitar and notes are being played.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brad4d8
    Until about 1990, I always used a blue steel A 440 tuning fork and then my ears.
    I've had one of those for decades, although mine is chrome steel. A couple of years ago I thought to check it against several electronic tuners, only to find that my tuning fork marked A440 is actually flat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    For recording, I've started using online strobe tuners, which show the exact frequency to 0.01 Hz along with the strobe display. Both StroboPro and TBStrobe are pretty good.]
    Would be really interesting if you could run those locally!

The StroboPro one would make a nice screensaver too, esp. on a computer with a bit more noisy fans

User Info Menu

The ones I've tried get all screwed up by the big band tuning and warming up. They pick up the loud horns vibration from my headstock. Maye I need to get one that is more isolated.

User Info Menu

Tuning forks are only approximate. They have to be hand tuned, by humans, and can only get close. They're intended to by used collectively, to get everyone tuned to the same pitch, somewhere near 440Hz. Back in the dim mists of the past, I had a pitch pipe, which is theoretically more accurate, but the pitch could be varied a little by the way I blew into it. It was just a single reed harmonica. IIRC they could be had in different pitches.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Tuning forks are only approximate. They have to be hand tuned, by humans, and can only get close. They're intended to by used collectively, to get everyone tuned to the same pitch, somewhere near 440Hz. Back in the dim mists of the past, I had a pitch pipe, which is theoretically more accurate, but the pitch could be varied a little by the way I blew into it. It was just a single reed harmonica. IIRC they could be had in different pitches.
    I don’t think that’s correct. High quality, precisely made steel forks that are perfectly free of any physical damage are extremely accurate and insensitive to ordinary environmental fluctuations. Gently struck on a firm padded surface, they emit a very pure sine wave with quite low harmonic distortion. There are some excellent scientific studies of their output, starting with this one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    no auto off ??

(thats a deal breaker for me)
    The one I own doesnt have it at least. Surprised me quite a bit, but the rest is so good so I have decided to live with it

User Info Menu

The StroboClip is very sensitive. If I put it on my desk while on, it will pick up the vibrations from the amp when playing at low bedroom levels. It might have auto off, but I don't know for sure, because I haven't checked closely. It will remain on if it picks up vibrations, and it does that very efficiently.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    I don’t think that’s correct. High quality, precisely made steel forks that are perfectly free of any physical damage are extremely accurate and insensitive to ordinary environmental fluctuations. Gently struck on a firm padded surface, they emit a very pure sine wave with quite low harmonic distortion. There are some excellent scientific studies of their output, starting with this one.
    The abstract says the paper addresses the purity of the tone (lack of overtones). I don't dispute at all that they produce a pure tone. But many users file and sand their forks to get an exact frequency. And the frequency varies with the temperature. I think most forks sold for tuning musical instruments can vary by one or more Hertz as purchased, regardless of the purity of the tone, which is a separate issue. They should be calibrated with an electronic tuner to make sure. There are YouTube videos which detail how to do it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    The abstract says the paper addresses the purity of the tone (lack of overtones). I don't dispute at all that they produce a pure tone. But many users file and sand their forks to get an exact frequency. And the frequency varies with the temperature. I think most forks sold for tuning musical instruments can vary by one or more Hertz as purchased, regardless of the purity of the tone, which is a separate issue. They should be calibrated with an electronic tuner to make sure. There are YouTube videos which detail how to do it.
    Read the article. Accuracy was also measured and was exceptional for the best steel forks - they’re closer than one cent to pitch.. The problem is that you have to spend more to get good forks - the cheap ones are inaccurate and put out serious harmonic distortion. Even the intermediate ones are only “accurate” to within 5%. You can buy a 440 fork for under $10 and you can buy one for $50+. You get what you pay for.

Ambient temperature has no measurable effect on high quality steel forks of sufficient mass. You can also buy scientific forks that are tunable with precision weights on the tines.

User Info Menu

I'm not going to argue. It's not worth the effort. Tuning forks are long obsolete for tuning instruments anyway.

User Info Menu

FWIW, the Peterson Stroboclip does turn off automatically. I just tried it, and although I failed to measure the timeout accurately, it's 3 minutes or less. It doesn't time out while in use, though, it only turns itself off after a period of inactivity, receiving no vibrations for the duration. I've looked on the Peterson site, and can't find any information on it, but it does have auto off.