The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 74

User Info Menu

Suggestions for a clip on tuner would be much appreciated.

I usually use the tuner in my pedalboard, but I'm soon going to be playing in a situation where there may not be room for it.

Last time I tried one, it was too sensitive to room sounds to tune when others were playing. I'd like to be able to touch up my tuning at any time.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have the TC Electronics one, and it's fantastic. It's what most of my pro friends use and I happily took their recommendations.

I also have a D'Addario one, but it's not as precise as the TC.

User Info Menu

After running the Peterson Strobotuner pedal for a few weeks I'm a complete convert to their products. So maybe their equivalent in a headstock model?

User Info Menu

I’ve used the Peterson Strobo clip on tuner for several years now and it works really well. It’s precise and it doesn’t burn through batteries like some of the others. It’s a little more expensive, but well worth it in my opinion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vernon
    I’ve used the Peterson Strobo clip on tuner for several years now and it works really well. It’s precise and it doesn’t burn through batteries like some of the others. It’s a little more expensive, but well worth it in my opinion.
    That’s the best one I’ve used.

User Info Menu

I use D'Addario NS Micros. They're very accurate if you go slowly, watch the color bars carefully, and give it a second or two to re-equilibrate after turning the knob. When I got my first one about 2 years ago, I expected immediate response - but it's not a fast as many others. The only other weakness I've found is that the plastic clips are a bit fragile. I haven't broken one yet, but I thought I did when I accidentally pulled one apart. I also find it helpful to squeeze the clip tightly every time I take a guitar out or put it in. I've found that it can slip a notch from pressure on it (e.g. rubbed hard aginast the inside of the gig bag or accidentally struck with my hand).

Once the blue bar is lit on each side of the letter, you're good to go. And they shut off automatically after about 10 minutes, so I haven't had a dead battery since I switched from Snarks.

Clip-on Tuner-da_tuner-jpg

User Info Menu

+1 on the Peterson Stroboclip.

User Info Menu

+2 on the Peterson Stroboclip.

Never I’m surprised at your experience with those micros TBH I threw mine away. Just never did an accurate job.

User Info Menu

I use the TC Polytune (switched to it from Snarks, after breaking 3 or 4 of 'em). I find it the easiest to see in bright light of all the ones I've tried, and being colorblind I also find it easier to interpret than basically all others on the market (red/green/amber es no bueno por los datonianios).

User Info Menu

Korg Pitchblack on gigs w/my electric [obviously m not a clip on]
    +1 Peterson Stroboclip on acoustics at home

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vernon
    I use it and like it.

User Info Menu

Rick, I have tried many and also use the Peterson Clip on. It is the best of them for sure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Never I’m surprised at your experience with those micros TBH I threw mine away. Just never did an accurate job.
    I have one on each of my guitars. I wasn't thrilled with them until I discovered that they need a few seconds to settle. Accuracy isn't a problem at all. as long as I'm meticulous about waiting to tune further until the display settles down. With a steady blue bar on either side of the note indicator, it's very accurate.

They're so low profile that I can leave them in place on gigging guitars. It takes a little care not to rub it off on the way into or out of the gig bag, but this is easily avoided once you realize it's going to happen. The only other issue of any kind is that my low A (7th string) sometimes takes a few seconds to register at all.

User Info Menu

I suppose a Peterson is in my future...
    For now, I'm using a PRS tuner and have no complaints.

Clip-on Tuner-prs-hstuner-jpg

User Info Menu

I bought a TC Electronic years ago when it just came out. They are half that price now.

These pro's prefer it too.

Clip-on Tuner-screenshot_20220727-073704-jpgClip-on Tuner-screenshot_20220727-073526__01-jpg

User Info Menu

I have both a TC Polytune and a Peterson StroboClip. I bought the TC on sale for about $12, figured I couldn't go wrong at that price. It was supposed to be a Unitune, but they shipped a Polytune, and I didn't complain. I don't actually use the polytune function that much. I find I use the Peterson most of the time. It's stable, easy to see, and very accurate, and I like the sweetened tuning. The TC is a little jumpy in strobe mode, which is unsurprising, since it's advertised as being sensitive to 0.1 cent in strobe mode. My only complaint is that it shuts off after 30 seconds, whether or not you're still tuning. In standard mode it's not so sensitive, but not quite as sensitive, just one cent. Close enough for many people, but not for me. But for the price, it's fine. The Peterson is much more expensive, but worth the extra cost to me. I also have lots of cheaper tuners sitting around, or already tossed in the trash. The Snarks just fell apart after awhile, the plastic holding them to the clip just came apart. I have a Korg Hammerhead and an Intellitouch PT10. They stay on the shelf. I use the Peterson every day, and the TC pretty often. I highly recommend the Peterson. If you're cheap, you can get the Peterson Strobosoft, which runs on your phone and works very well in quiet environments, but not so well when it's noisy. You can get a clip adapter, which clips to the guitar and into the phone via the included cable, and works well, but is very inconvenient. I have both, but rarely use either. The Stroboclip rulez.

BTW, I also have several of the low profile Planet Waves Micro Clipfree tuners installed on guitars. They work in a pinch, but the Stroboclip is so much better I rarely bother with them, even though they're always on the guitar. If you like stealth tuners, they're the way to go, IMO, much better than the clip-on version. They attach via a screw holding the tuner in place on the head, and come with replacement screws long enough for the additional thickness between the screw head and the peghead. Cheap, always available, accurate enough for many people. But I still prefer the Peterson Stroboclip.

User Info Menu

The tuner is the most important pedal in my opinion. Drop something else if you have a board.

That being said, I use the D'Addario NS Micros or TC clip on since a lot of my playing is sitting in for a song or a set.

Thanks to all who replied.

Much appreciated.

User Info Menu

i’ve had various Snarks , no-names, intelli-something
    and TC polytune , clip on tuners

but my current favourite is the dadario clip on
    https://www.daddario.com/products/accessories/tuners/eclipse-headstock-tuner-multi/

simple , quick , legible , robust
    and very cheap

note i haven’t tried the Peterson

User Info Menu

Never could get the TC Polytune to agree with itself if the low E was in tune in Poly vs Uni mode. Dumped it. Very pleased with the Petersen HD clip on. Don’t care for the “sweetened” settings though.

User Info Menu

I've had an analog tuner for near 30 years that is easy and accurate, but not chromatic (there's a switch to select each string and standard Spanish tuning only). Can't remember the brand offhand, will update later. Not so convenient on the gig but I use it at home and for setting intonation. I had the Intellitouch tuner which was OK, have a bunch of the D'Addario NS ones which are frankly just not accurate enough for my ears and the clip just isn't secure enough. My guitars sound so much better when I use the analog tuner than the clip-ons. I don't like the tuners on stalks that stick way out from the headstock (just on aesthetic grounds), which is why I stopped using the Intellitouch. They just seem clunky. That ruled out the Peterson for me. Petty, I know.

I just ordered the Polytune clip-on after reading a bunch of reviews, etc. I'll update as to how I like it. I'm really picky about being in tune, which is objectively a bit silly given the many problems inherent in tuning a guitar...

User Info Menu

I will pile on with the Peterson. I have a TC as well but the Peterson is better and loads better than the cheapos that I got as giveaways.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    have a bunch of the D'Addario NS ones which are frankly just not accurate enough for my ears and the clip just isn't secure enough.
    The NS clip is definitely not as secure as it could be. Before learning how to get the guitar in and out of the case / bag on stage without knocking it off, I had to find one of these on the dark rug of a dark stage floor overrun with cables, stands, drums et al far too many times. I'd never seen the version with a single screw mount that goes into one of the tuner screw holes - I like this and will try one.

As for accuracy, the combination of heavy HVAC blowing right on us plus my inconsistent touch (I still get a bit heavier as I get more excited about the tune) costs me a cent on at least one string every few minutes. I touch up my tune by ear while playing, and occasionally even use pressure or a slight bend to correct more serious offage if I've started a tune before realizing a string was off. On rare occasions, I've even shifted position to avoid a wonky string until someone else's solo so I could get back in tune. For me, the benefit of such a low profile tuner makes up for its not being accurate to fractions of a cent.

And, as I've said before, patience is the key to accuracy from these little tuners. I've thought I was done many times, only to watch one of the colored guide LEDs light up or go out a few seconds after I struck a string.

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    i’ve had various Snarks , no-names, intelli-something
    and TC polytune , clip on tuners

but my current favourite is the dadario clip on
    https://www.daddario.com/products/accessories/tuners/eclipse-headstock-tuner-multi/

simple , quick , legible , robust
    and very cheap

note i haven’t tried the Peterson
    Thank you for this. One review on Amazon says that this tuner is too sensitive to room noise. I want to be able to tune while the band is playing. Will it do that?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Thank you for this. One review on Amazon says that this tuner is too sensitive to room noise. I want to be able to tune while the band is playing. Will it do that?
    yes