Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a schematic for one of these bad boys:

Looking for a schematic (Roland Cube 60 - original one)-cube-60-png

actually, I only really need to know what component (and value) this is:

Looking for a schematic (Roland Cube 60 - original one)-cap-jpg

I think it's a capacitor.. (the side of it has 'popped' off - looks like heat has done it) but as you can see from the pic it appears to be the only component in that bunch without an identifying letter/number...

If I knew what to replace it with, I've got adequate soldering skills for the task.

Thanks guys.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If it’s the part indicated by the letters rs5 it’s a resistor. Probably high power

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

You’re talking about the component between R51 and D1, correct? I can’t see the reference designator, but the symbol on the board under the component looks like the same symbol used on the caps, such as C36. So, it’s probably a capacitor. Can you get a better picture of the component? You may have to remove it from the board to get a good look at it. Sometimes you luck out and the value is printed on it…

You might be able to find a sch on the net via google. Here’s one that came up, could be a slightly different version:
    Circuit Diagram(Main Board Analog) - Roland CUBE-60D Service Manual [Page 22] | ManualsLib

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blue-moves
    Hi Guys,

I think it's a capacitor.. (the side of it has 'popped' off - looks like heat has done it) but as you can see from the pic it appears to be the only component in that bunch without an identifying letter/number...

If I knew what to replace it with, I've got adequate soldering skills for the task.

Thanks guys.
    I vote resistor. A few stripes (tells you the value and rating) appear to be present. Check out The Music Electronics forum. Great resource. I used to hang there when I tinkered. Pros there are generous with tips etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 73Fender
    I vote resistor. A few stripes (tells you the value and rating) appear to be present. Check out The Music Electronics forum. Great resource. I used to hang there when I tinkered. Pros there are generous with tips etc.
    Me too , it looks like it is .... R51 ....

another thing is to power up the amp
    and play it till the heat gets up to the
    point that the amp fails
    (maybe use a looper pedal to keep playing)

the use a cold spray to cool down that actual component and see if that component is causing the failure/distortion

like this kinda thing
    Using Freeze Spray to Diagnose Faulty Electronics | Techspray

User Info Menu

Unfortunately, the photo is blurry and the "X Marks the Spot" graphic obscures the item in question. Looking at the holes in the circuit board, it seems like there might be a ceramic disc capacitor that is somehow bent over the resistor underneath it (R 51). However, it looks blue compared to the other capacitors which all seem to be orange ceramic disc type. The components in that area look like D1 (presumably a diode), the mystery item, R51 which is a resistor and then D3 which is another diode, I think.

if it is a capacitor, you may be in luck as most of them have a code printed on them that tells you what the value is. Resistors have a colored band system for getting that information, which is a little bit of a nuisance if you're not used to it.

if you can provide a more in focus photograph and don't put a drawing on top of it, that would help us.

User Info Menu

Yup, it's R51 all right. Schematic attached. I put a red dot next to 1/2watt resistor.

Looking for a schematic (Roland Cube 60 - original one)-rolandcube60-jpg

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

OK, we have two threads covering the same information which is getting confusing. The updated photograph is in the "what's wrong with my amp" thread. It's still a little difficult to tell what we are looking at there. Is that a blue disk ceramic or tantalum capacitor that's partially disintegrated and bent over the R51 resistor? Or is the R51 resistor that badly blown out? I have never actually seen anything like either of those.

The schematic cited by GNAPPI indicates a 56K 1/2 watt resistor at R51, which is a standard part and easy to find. However, if it's actually a capacitor next to R51 (there appear to be holes in the circuitboard next to R51 and legs coming out of those to the mangled item), then that value is still uncertain because we don't know what circuit board reference number there is for that. If the OP can look closely at the circuit board under it, there may be a reference number under that fried component that can be referred to the schematic. If you look at the board, there are different shapes drawn on it for the different components (sort of a dogbone shape for resistors, oval or circle shapes for capacitors, etc.).

User Info Menu

The component next to the resistor is likely C35, but unless the gunk is removed to see the silkscreen it's hard to tell.

User Info Menu

Hmm, C35 looks like it's an electrolytic cap in the schematic, athough I'm a little puzzled by the numbers (100/33 = 100V, .33 cap? And does one leg of that cap go to ground?). Maybe it's C37, perhaps? Although the component progression in the photos looks like it ought to be C35.

Although does the schematic match that amp for certain? I don't see a D2 anywhere in the vicinity of R51 in the photo, unless it's mounted under the board, and it looks like it ought to be right there according to the schematic. The schematic references AP122 while the circuit board references AP0134-060B.

User Info Menu

The only way to tell for sure where / what a component is to ring out its' pins on the PCB and see where the lands go I'm afraid.

User Info Menu

R51 looks fine, it's the resistor underneath the blown component. Unfortunately, the photo is so blurry it's not possible for me to see what is actually blown. Moving it, so that the PCB underneath is legible, in a focused photo, would help. My first thought is that it's D2, but it doesn't look like the other diodes near it, D1 and D3. A better photo is needed.

User Info Menu

I've got the same amp on the bench here now. I'll get some photos tomorrow. It's an unmarked component thats been attached to the body of R51 from the factory. Doesn't appear on the schematic. How weird!

User Info Menu

Looking for a schematic (Roland Cube 60 - original one)-img_3566-jpgLooking for a schematic (Roland Cube 60 - original one)-img_3567-jpg

There we go. Weird little disc thing, Its leads are connected across R51. Probably some sort of capacitor, I guess?

User Info Menu

The burnt disc appears to be C37 which is just a small value ceramic disk cap. It looks like 240(?) pf from the schematic.

The schematic also shows "D22A" connected in parallel with R51. See the dashed arrow leading from "D2" (in parallel with R51) pointing to the hand drawn component in the upper left. Silk screen on the board shows D1 and D3 but no D2. So D2 must have been another diode soldered across the body of R51, as the hand drawn component suggests. Heat from R51 probably 'did it in'.

1S2473 diodes may still be available but could be hard to find. It could be replaced with a commonly available 1N4148 or 1N4448.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by va3ux
    The burnt disc appears to be C37 which is just a small value ceramic disk cap. It looks like 240(?) pf from the schematic.

The schematic also shows "D22A" connected in parallel with R51. See the dashed arrow leading from "D2" (in parallel with R51) pointing to the hand drawn component in the upper left. Silk screen on the board shows D1 and D3 but no D2. So D2 must have been another diode soldered across the body of R51, as the hand drawn component suggests. Heat from R51 probably 'did it in'.

1S2473 diodes may still be available but could be hard to find. It could be replaced with a commonly available 1N4148 or 1N4448.
    C37 is over by the 5w resistors, The burnt disc thing Is d22a, which seems to be some mov or thermistor, from the limited resources I can gather. Can't find a datasheet, but appears to be a toshiba part. It seems to have something to do with biasing the main power transistors. I cut it out to see what would happen, and both the 5A fuses blew. Crazy. I put in an ntc thermistor, and that had the bias voltage disappear, everything running crazy hot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xavosh
    C37 is over by the 5w resistors, The burnt disc thing Is d22a, which seems to be some mov or thermistor, from the limited resources I can gather. Can't find a datasheet, but appears to be a toshiba part. It seems to have something to do with biasing the main power transistors. I cut it out to see what would happen, and both the 5A fuses blew. Crazy. I put in an ntc thermistor, and that had the bias voltage disappear, everything running crazy hot.
    R51 says 56, not 56k. The other resistors seem to have the k.

FWIW.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    R51 says 56, not 56k. The other resistors seem to have the k.

FWIW.
    Hahahha. I did actually have a 56K in there, and realised the mistake. With 50ohm in R51 and a thermistor (200 ohm at 25c) in d22a, it works alright. Sounds like a cube.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xavosh
    Hahahha. I did actually have a 56K in there, and realised the mistake. With 50ohm in R51 and a thermistor (200 ohm at 25c) in d22a, it works alright. Sounds like a cube.
    Very good. So the thermister was (is) bonded to the body of R51 ? That does make sense.

Also, the hand drawn 'D22A' shows R51 as 68 ohms, vs the 56 ohms on the main print. And the color code on R51 shows 68 ohms too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by va3ux
    Very good. So the thermister was (is) bonded to the body of R51 ? That does make sense.

Also, the hand drawn 'D22A' shows R51 as 68 ohms, vs the 56 ohms on the main print. And the color code on R51 shows 68 ohms too.
    Indeed it was. And good pickup! Hopefully my mistakes help someone in future.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blue-moves
    Hi Guys,

Thanks guys.
    Nice one! Any idea where to buy a similar one?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by benhatchins
    Nice one! Any idea where to buy a similar one?
    If you are asking about a PCB panel, I bought mine at the Adwin Circuits site. They offer a wide choice and excellent service, so you can address them for details. I'm sure they will help you.
    As for further work, you can look for the tutorials on YouTube if you didn't find the solution here.

Enable GingerCannot connect to Ginger Check your internet connection
    or reload the browserDisable in this text fieldRephraseRephrase current sentenceEdit in Ginger×
    Last edited by Eugle; 07-21-2023 at 03:43 AM.