The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Question 1:
    Looking at modding my Kingpin CW II by replacing pickups. One option is a floating pickup.
    * For those who have mounted these to the neck, does the odd neck shape (floating over the top, which I think is great) make it difficult to screw at proper position?
    * For either neck or pickguard mount, how do you adjust/optimize pickup height? Seems like you wouldn't have very good control.

Question 2:
    I've got the standard Godin TUSQ bridge (compensated, with the "jag" between 2nd and 3rd strings) on it, and D'Addario Chromes (11, 15, 22w, 30, 40, 50). For some reason, intonation is quite good by sliding bridge ends for all strings but one. Fourth string is way sharp at the 12th fret. I noticed when I played a song that hits an octave (4th string 12th fret + 1 string 10th fret) and it was horrible! In order to play that song I have to drop the string flat at the nut, but then, of course, it's out of tune at the lower frets. Any idea what is going on here? I didn't expect it to be perfect, but it's really off.

Added info, I put on a capo at the first fret and tested intonation at 13th, and have same problem, so it's not the nut.

Any suggestions here would be greatly appreciated!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Did you try replacing the string? Sometimes it’s just a flaw or wear of the string.

(Btw, do you mean the B or the D string? Frome where do you count?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Did you try replacing the string? Sometimes it’s just a flaw or wear of the string.

(Btw, do you mean the B or the D string? Frome where do you count?)
    D string...

Never crossed my mind that one string would suddenly be off while the others are fine. Good excuse to replace the set, and see what happens! (Doubt I have a set of those around, so will have to order...)
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

I think it would be tricky attach a floater the the fingerboard extension because of the way it’s curved. I suspect attaching to a pickguard would work, though (probably best to get one made for that purpose).

For the intonation problem, you could try moving the bridge so that the D intimated OK, and then pivot to see if you can get the other strings OK.

Another option would be to replace the saddle with, say, a compensated wood saddle. They’re cheap enough, and you might luck into one that’s compensated better for your string/gauge. Mybold Kingpin I had one (installed by the previous owner), and it intonated fine.

Still another option is just to try a different brand and/or gauge of strings. Sometimes a bridge and a string, for whatever random reason, don’t get along.