The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Arggg...

I'll cut to the chase.
    I love the feel of flat wounds but like the brilliance of rounds.

I'm currently using TI JS111 flats but the lower strings, particularly 5 and 6 just sound so dull and muddy. More of a "thud". I've used TI's in the past with other guitars and frankly, I just don't see why they are revered by so many players.

My question is, is this what I am to expect with any brand of flats?
    Yes, I realize flats by design are supposed to be softer in tone but not dead. Or should I just put up with the squeaky nature of rounds if I prefer a brighter sound?

Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The TI flat sound is what many of us that were around in the 60’s heard and still try to emulate. Oh us boomers, you have to excuse us.

But…. Sounds like a good use case for Pyramid Fusion Flats. Do a search here as there was a thread recently and as I recall the reports of them should give you a blend of round sound and flat playability.
    I have a set but TBH haven’t had the chance to put them on.
    Good luck!
    jk

User Info Menu

Thanks.
    Yes, I'm a "boomer" too. (1955)

I forgot to mention that I'm playing this through a Henriksen Bud with a Henriksen Ray ext cab if that's of any consequence.

User Info Menu

‘52 here. Coming up on cough, choke 7. 0. 8/5.
    Here’s the link sorry I should have included it)

Pyramid Fusion Flats?

Never played a Henriksen, but they do sound good out in the wild. I used a Walter Woods from 87 up to last year when something started failing. Now a big fan of a Quilter 202 Tone Block in a 12” Block Dock. And do still love my 74 PR.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2-5Guy
    Arggg...

I'll cut to the chase.
    I love the feel of flat wounds but like the brilliance of rounds.

I'm currently using TI JS111 flats but the lower strings, particularly 5 and 6 just sound so dull and muddy. More of a "thud". I've used TI's in the past with other guitars and frankly, I just don't see why they are revered by so many players.

My question is, is this what I am to expect with any brand of flats?
    Yes, I realize flats by design are supposed to be softer in tone but not dead. Or should I just put up with the squeaky nature of rounds if I prefer a brighter sound?

Thanks
    Daddario chromes flats are a tad brighter to me, you could try those. There also daddario half rounds, and then pure nickels, if you want a mix between smoke and lively

I find flats muddy when I have to much bass on the amp, so I try to dial in mids and only mids which gives a mellow but not muddy tone

User Info Menu

Have you tried D'Addario half rounds? Or LaBella Roller Rounds? For my ear and touch, they have the brilliance in the attack and a subdued decay that makes for a warm overall sound plus the responsiveness of a regularly wound string. They start off with regular wound strings and either compress them to a smooth outer wrap or they're ground to that contour. Different construction, different sound from flats. GHS also makes a Rolled wound string but I've found them to be bright for my taste, but don't let that stop you from making your own assessment.
    But everyone has to find their own combination through trial and playing. Just suggesting an option in your search.

User Info Menu

Thank You for the suggestions!
    I'm very familiar with D'Addario in the round wound department and love them. I'll give theirs a try too.

Thanks again

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    ‘52 here. Coming up on cough, choke 7. 0. 8/5.
    Here’s the link sorry I should have included it)

Pyramid Fusion Flats?

Never played a Henriksen, but they do sound good out in the wild. I used a Walter Woods from 87 up to last year when something started failing. Now a big fan of a Quilter 202 Tone Block in a 12” Block Dock. And do still love my 74 PR.
    I'm not going to handle 70 well AT ALL.
    I'm still in denial about being 67.
    Believe or not, the only time I'm not obsessing about getting older is when I'm practicing my guitar. When my hands stop working then I probably will too. Not to sound morbid or anything, but music truly has been a blessing. It doesn't matter how good or bad you are. Just the mental health alone in playing an instrument makes even the most expensive gear seem cheap in the grander scheme of things.

User Info Menu

Just a few considerations.

If you're using Thomastik 11s and want to stay in that kind of tension range, you may have to look at 10s from other brands and swap out the plains (E & B) to taste. 10s with a wound G (like the TIs) do not abound.

The Fusion Flats below 12 gauge I believe carry a plain G. People seem to like the sound, but the word is that they are squeaky for "flats".

I think all D'Addario Chromes sets come with a wound G, whereas the Halfwounds sport a plain G below 12 gauge (IIRC).

Order a set of each of the sets cited here and see though, as mentioned, you may be limited in choice if you're staying below 12s.

Regarding "Or should I just put up with the squeaky nature of rounds if I prefer a brighter sound?" - Probably, it just seems to work that way.

I hope to have helped

User Info Menu

I have a JH, tried Roundwounds, but it’s a pretty mid-rangey guitar as is, and took them off right away, just too bright for my taste. I know roundwounds are “a thing” with a bunch of the modern players these days,but I suspect that has something to do with the use of overdrive and distortion, yielding a more even tone to build on with those pedals.

I also find the Chromes too bright on that guitar, though they work on my 175 just fine. I’m sticking with Thomastik 12’s and 13’s for my JH and my L5, or things just get too bright with too much upper midrange for me. I really like the JH for its precision, as it forces me to play better, but it has not been the easiest guitar to play, nor the most versatile tone wise, but it has its place

Have a good time exploring, that’s half the fun!

User Info Menu

Chevy or Ford?

User Info Menu

Update:

After all is said and done, I tried a set of Sadowsky Blue's .011 - .050 round wound with a wound 3rd string. Bottom line is I like the results. Despite a squeak here and there I found the positives outweighed the negatives. The guitar sounds much more alive now.

I recently took delivery of a Sadowsky SS-15 (see separate thread in this forum) and had Roger set that one up with the same strings. It's perfect.

So, I think I'm good now.
    Thanks for all of the suggestions.

User Info Menu

It's always a mistake to remove a new set of strings "right away", you really need to stick it out for at least a week. Some strings can really change character after a short break in period.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    It's always a mistake to remove a new set of strings "right away", you really need to stick it out for at least a week. Some strings can really change character after a short break in period.
    Agreed. I gave them a week I tend to like older strings better, hardly ever change flats or rounds, light or heavy more often than every 6 months, sometimes longer. I'm sure the right archtop sounds good with rounds, (evidenced by the young "cool" crowd we all enjoy) - but string noise and lots of highs just don't do it for me. But, it's a fun experiment!

User Info Menu

Fwiw, you can minimize finger squeak a fair amount by using a good moisturizer on your finger tips. Best to load up with it before you go the sleep. Then experiment with very small amount a half hour or so before you play. You can even use Vaseline overnight then try whatever your SO has in stock.