The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 41

User Info Menu

I just don't get it. Once you reach the heel, it's already too big/deep to get your hand around it.

Gibson L-5 Double Cutaway 2014 Sunburst | Reverb

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Some people love butt ugly guitars. People are weird.

User Info Menu

Gibson said it was a stunning marriage of tradition and innovation.

User Info Menu

It may be the theory that “If you throw enough things at the wall, some of them will stick.”

BTW I don’t think its ugly, just impractical.

User Info Menu

Well, I like the 330 and 335. So if this was cherry, I'd like it too.

User Info Menu

For a left hand conversion?!!

User Info Menu

Not gonna lie, if someone said to me, "I got you an L5!" and handed me the case, I would be thrilled beyond belief! Then, I'd open the case, see this, and then I would be thrilled at a much more believable level

User Info Menu

I’d love to play it.

User Info Menu

the 2 1/2 “ depth is very attractive to me
    and aesthetically i like it

User Info Menu

When an es335 isn’t quite cumbersome enough…

User Info Menu

Eric Johnson would like a word with you nay sayers Eric Johnson on Instagram: "Happy Saint Patrick’s Day!"

User Info Menu

LOL

Essentially it is an alternative shape for those who may want something different than the traditional archtop shape.

But from a marketing point of view, it also provides one more form of the L5 for those who already have an L5 CES and an L5 WES and maybe an acoustic or floater pickup L5 as well.

If you like L5s and you have buckets of disposable income it gives you one more version of the L5 that you can add to your collection. Might as well get one in every color, too.

User Info Menu

Can't be too may of these. Wondering if the 335 molds are deep enough, or did Gibson have to make new ones. Did they ever sell enough Barney Kessels to justify the double Florentine tooling? Don't think I have seen anything similar since.

User Info Menu

It's a tricky way to reduce the weight of the guitar? Cut pieces of it off?

User Info Menu

When I post pictures of my Campellone’s or my old Gibsons this one guy pops up and always adds a picture of his double cut L5 and he loves it because he plays with his thumb around the neck and it is a beautiful guitar

BigMike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vintagelove
    When an es335 isn’t quite cumbersome enough…
    get yourself an es150DW !
    L5 Double-Cut - I don't get why?-f7a90812-76e4-4e62-821a-833675403063-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    Can't be too may of these. Wondering if the 335 molds are deep enough, or did Gibson have to make new ones. Did they ever sell enough Barney Kessels to justify the double Florentine tooling? Don't think I have seen anything similar since.

I managed to tour Gibson's Memphis factory not long before it closed. The 335 tops and backs began as a square laminated piece. The 335 shape was pressed into the square and then the 335 shape was cut afterwards.

The double cut L5 backs and tops should have been carved from solid maple and spruce pieces, not pressed laminates. Most of the carve done on a CNC machine and then hand finished to final specs.

FWIW

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    get yourself an es150DW !
    L5 Double-Cut - I don't get why?-f7a90812-76e4-4e62-821a-833675403063-jpeg
    That's more useful than the L5 DC. More open frets on the neck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg
    I managed to tour Gibson's Memphis factory not long before it closed. The 335 tops and backs began as a square laminated piece. The 335 shape was pressed into the square and then the 335 shape was cut afterwards.

The double cut L5 backs and tops should have been carved from solid maple and spruce pieces, not pressed laminates. Most of the carve done on a CNC machine and then hand finished to final specs.

FWIW
    Sure. I was thinking of the rim molds.

User Info Menu

Same body tooling for left and right hand models? Some common tooling with the double cut ES models? Innovative from a manufacturing process?
    EM

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    The Johnny A has A bit of the vibe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EastwoodMike
    Same body tooling for left and right hand models? Some common tooling with the double cut ES models? Innovative from a manufacturing process? EM
    The model was introduced at NAMM-2014. Same general body size/shape/f-holes as the L-5C/CES/WES/ES-5/Tal/Byrdland. Same rim depth as the Byrdland. Easy to make without the need for new tooling. I've played a couple of these and think they're great. I'd grab one in a flash. I bet Gibson made no more than a dozen of these.

User Info Menu

I owned and played a 1969 ES 150 DCN they have super skinny necks and feedback when you even look at them

I have a hard time looking at the double cutaway L5 but there are some things I think it would be good for. The L5 C is a real iconic design just like the super 400 and many other classic Gibson guitars and changing the look seems sacrilegious to most of us

but I bet the L5C double cut away sounds pretty good

BigMike

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    That's more useful than the L5 DC. More open frets on the neck.

User Info Menu

I find it more than appealing on a number of levels.
    If I were a collector and I'd already had an L-5 of every variation and colour, I'd HAVE to have one of these in the collection. Any real collection would be incomplete without it.
    Gibson puts a lot of effort into building instruments that have historic value that isn't realized until years later, like the Flying V. If I bought one of these, its value might triple in 50 years. Win win.
    I could buy one of these and become really famous. Look at Pat Metheny's guitar, or Pat Martino's L-5S, or Wes's single pickup L5, all they needed to do was get crazy good and famous and their guitars are worth a lot in auction. This would become a signature model and the value of this guitar would go way up. The fact that it was a very limited edition gives it something huge that just playing another Les Paul can't have.
    And this design is way cool. In a full sized case, the extra cutaway means I can stuff all sorts of extra stuff into that space in a case or gig bag, sandwich, effects, plush toys... what's not to love?
    Don't underestimate another practical aspect: If it's stolen, I'll bet it'd be a lot easier to identify if it shows up in a pawn shop or Ebay. Tell me this wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb.
    If I had one of these and I had a son who was left handed, and assuming he didn't turn out to be a total delinquent who got locked away and hated guitar, wouldn't this be a perfect gift to pass on?
    These, and so many other reasons make this more than a wise investment, I'd argue that this moves to the top of my own MUST HAVE list.

L5 Double-Cut - I don't get why?-screen-shot-2022-07-20-10-16-07-pm-png
    Classic, iconic, elegant and great fun at a party. Who can ask for anything more?

User Info Menu

Jesse Van Ruller played one for awhile. I thought his was older than 2014, but I can't say for sure. It might have been a similar looking model, but I don't know what it would have been.