The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 41 of 41

User Info Menu

Apparently Billy Byrd had a double cut Byrdland in the 1950’s.so I’m sure that someone got the idea “How about an L-5CES ?” Those marketing guys need to keep their jobs, Lol!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Guild made something similar back I the late 70's.

L5 Double-Cut - I don't get why?-screenshot-2022-07-21-05-17-08-png

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Apparently Billy Byrd had a double cut Byrdland in the 1950’s.so I’m sure that someone got the idea “How about an L-5CES ?” Those marketing guys need to keep their jobs, Lol!
    Gibson built a double cutaway guitar for Billy Byrd in @1962. Now owned by Gibson collector Mike Thompson. It's badged as a Byrdland and had a Byrdland tailpiece, but it has a 25 1/2" scale, like the double-cutaway L-5 thinline version introduced in 2014. Note that the three-way switch is on the treble side on the original version, but on the bass side on the newer version.
    Attached Images Attached Images L5 Double-Cut - I don't get why?-gib-byrdland-dc-billybyrd-63-mikethompson-2-jpg L5 Double-Cut - I don't get why?-gib-byrdland-dc-billybyrd-63-mikethompson-3-jpg L5 Double-Cut - I don't get why?-gib-byrdland-dc-billybyrd-63-mikethompson-4-jpg 

User Info Menu

I kinda like it. It's sort of a Gretsch look, just without all the bling and switches. Unfortunate heel though.

If they reissued the ES-150 or made a double cut ES-175 I'd be interested.

OP here, my point was, the heel is still at 14, which makes the double cut useless.

User Info Menu

Well turns out, there is actually no $$$ above the 3rd fret anyway!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I just don't get it. Once you reach the heel, it's already too big/deep to get your hand around it.

Gibson L-5 Double Cutaway 2014 Sunburst | Reverb

Unless you're this guy ...

L5 Double-Cut - I don't get why?-thumbs2-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images L5 Double-Cut - I don't get why?-thumb-jpg 

User Info Menu

I see you've met my urologist

User Info Menu

I don't spend much time playing above the 12th fret anyways. Lots of thinner archtops and solid bodies made with that in mind if that's what you want to do.

The double cut seems to be more for looks than any actual player benefits. No need for all of us to like those looks.

Then again upright bass players have been playing in the upper registers past a massive neck joint on a deep body for centuries ...

Not that it's easy, but it can be done even with a deep body.

User Info Menu

it looks off just because everyone is used to seeing a single cut on a deep body
    if archtop guitars had been double cut since the days of Lloyd Loar and someone came out w/a single cut today not many folks would like it imo
    that said I have no desire to own one

User Info Menu

I had a chance to play a double cutaway L5 a few months ago. I liked the look just fine. Played and sounded nice too, but I wasn't blown away. I actually like the feel and sound of my ES 175 better in terms of "jazz" guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by Crm114
    When I post pictures of my Campellone’s or my old Gibsons this one guy pops up and always adds a picture of his double cut L5 and he loves it because he plays with his thumb around the neck and it is a beautiful guitar

BigMike
    I'm not denying it's beautiful, but the heel is in the same place as the single cut, no? How does that help with left thumb technique?

User Info Menu

Gibson. Marketing. Disposable Income. Nuff said.
    Analyzing the double cut L5 is like trying to analyze why there are approx 1,768,001 Les Paul models.
    Gibson. Marketing. Disposable Income.

Wait, it’s 1,768,003 now.

User Info Menu

L5 Double-Cut - I don't get why?-a0d0ff74-e3bc-474c-aa24-f0ce6588ec51-jpg

I can confirm that the heel is the same as a regular L5, so the double cut is just a cosmetic change with no playing benefits. Personally, but I really like the looks and it plays and sounds every bit an L5. Apols for the pic angle

User Info Menu

L5 Double-Cut - I don't get why?-a88961c6-0872-4bbc-8c83-c58bdadbf391-jpeg

I’d play it sure why not… it looks like it sounds big - lol looks better than the Barney K model…. “K for Klingon”

Poor Barney… He hated that thing
    Attached Images Attached Images L5 Double-Cut - I don't get why?-5de9b4cd-22bc-48c3-b33b-8b0109277ba2-jpeg