The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

I'm looking at a guitar in Larry Wexer's Gbase store.

Laurence Wexer, Ltd. - Fine Fretted Instruments

Laurence Wexer Ltd. | Gbase.com > Guitars Amps & More

I've had one positive recommendation from one of or our regular contributors.

If anyone else has anything to report it would be appreciated.

He doesn't take credit cards so it would mean sending a lot of money via check or wire transfer.

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg;[URL="tel:1209279"
    1209279[/URL]]I'm looking at a guitar in Larry Wexer's Gbase store.

He doesn't take credit cards so it would mean sending a lot of money via check or wire transfer.

Thanks!
    Laurence is a good man. I’ve done business with him for years. He is honest and stands by his word. He is very knowledgable

User Info Menu

I haven't bought from Larry, but I've known him for 30 yrs and you won't find a lmore honest and knowledgeable dealer.

User Info Menu

He has a sterling reputation, formerly ran Mandolin Brothers I believe?

And on of the rare ones who really knows arch tops. If he says it's a good one it probably is.

As far as payment goes it's a little surprising, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

User Info Menu

Sorry to say but anyone today not accepting credit cards as payment is not getting my money.Credit cards are your best friend in case of a dispute no matter how reputable someone is.

User Info Menu

He's been around a long time and has a sterling reputation dealing with the rarest and best instruments in the world. In professional circles, he's old school, reliable, knowledgeable and I've known pro players who have been very happy dealing with him.

User Info Menu

I have known Laurence Wexer for many years. He is a very honest and knowledgeable person. My brother bought a beautiful D’Aquisto Excel from him a number of years ago. Dealing with Laurence was an excellent experience and the guitar (which was formerly owned by one of our forum members) exceeded expectations. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy from Wexer guitars.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Larry is the best. As the others have said, he is incredibly honest, extremely knowledgable as well as an excellent player who can truly evaluate an instrument. I've bought from Larry in the past and the deal was as professional as they come. I wouldn't worry at all about the lack of credit card transactions. Doing business with Larry is a true pleasure!

User Info Menu

I had a good experience selling a guitar to Larry Wexer a few years back.

We met up and I spent some time going over it with him......he's a good player and put it through its paces.
    I'd have no hesitation doing business with him.....

z

User Info Menu

No worries about doing business with Larry. He is honest and very knowledgeable. I bought a guitar from him with a personal check and didn’t give it a second thought. I would contact Larry again for the purchase or consignment of a fine archtop guitar without hesitation.

User Info Menu

One of the few honest guys I ever spoke to about my '35 D'A. The other NY guys were a pack of wolves.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the feedback!!

User Info Menu

I have known Larry since at least the early 1990's. He is a fantastic guitar player in his own right and a fine dealer. I would possibly put him at the very top of the list as someone to do a deal with. He knows guitars inside and out. He was at Mandolin Brothers many years ago and probably has seen as many guitars or the great ones as anyone alive. He does business the old fashion way. Right now he has a Super 400 I want so bad and would buy in a heartbeat if I could sell one guitar to finance some of the deal. I probably should post it here but I did not get any takers before so I want to that even though I would drop the price

Larry is a worry free dealer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I have known Larry since at least the early 1990's. He is a fantastic guitar player in his own right and a fine dealer. I would possibly put him at the very top of the list as someone to do a deal with. He knows guitars inside and out. He was at Mandolin Brothers many years ago and probably has seen as many guitars or the great ones as anyone alive. He does business the old fashion way. Right now he has a Super 400 I want so bad and would buy in a heartbeat if I could sell one guitar to finance some of the deal. I probably should post it here but I did not get any takers before so I want to that even though I would drop the price

Larry is a worry free dealer.
    The Super 400 at Larry's is a fine instrument. It's Hutch signed, .....from Gibsons "Custom - Art- Historic Period" and a great price. Many consider the 90's to be the best post war period for Gibson. My Gibson Legrand is from that period and its spectacular.

If you like it Mark, just grab it. Try relisting what you want to sell.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

That Super 400C looks awesome and it's probably a better guitar than the '69 Super 400.

I haven't played a 60s Gibson archtop that I really liked ... yet.

The D'Aquisto Avant Garde is on my dream list, but probably too rich for my budget.

If what I'm looking at is still there Monday, I will probably get it. Should have my money in a more liquid form by then.

If the guitar is gone by then, we'll be doing some remodeling in the house ... LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg
    That Super 400C looks awesome and it's probably a better guitar than the '69 Super 400.

I haven't played a 60s Gibson archtop that I really liked ... yet.

The D'Aquisto Avant Garde is on my dream list, but probably too rich for my budget.

If what I'm looking at is still there Monday, I will probably get it. Should have my money in a more liquid form by then.

If the guitar is gone by then, we'll be doing some remodeling in the house ... LOL
    Good luck! I hope you get the guitar you're after. Larry has some wonderful examples. FYI, that Avant Garde is sold.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D'Aquisto Fan
    Good luck! I hope you get the guitar you're after. Larry has some wonderful examples. FYI, that Avant Garde is sold.
    Good to know. I wondered why it wasn't showing up on all of his Gbase listings.

I doubt I could justify spending that much on a guitar.

User Info Menu

I'm late to the party but Larry is an excellent dealer, player, and person. Yes, he was at Mandolin Bros for years. Last time i talked with him he had to get off the phone because peter bernstein was dropping in to play some with Larry.

User Info Menu

I'm looking at a guitar in Larry Wexer's Gbase store.

Thanks!

Larry is the best. I bought a number of guitars from him. Absolutely no issue to wire him the money

User Info Menu

I bought 3 guitars from him. Couldn't recommend him more highly.

User Info Menu

Here is a great video worth watching. If you want to know how Larry Wexer is perceived in the guitar world Jump to 5:24. Larry has been a friend for over 30 years - and when it comes to knowledge and integrity…..he’s the best.

He’s also a fantastic guitar, mandolin and harmonica player, who practices for several hours a day. He plays many different styles, and has sold some of the finest Martin, D’Angelico, D’Aquisto and Gibson’s ever made.

He’s usually called into Auction houses to appraise upcoming events - and has a network of clients with some of the finest stringed instrument collections in existence.

This is a man that’s held and played the finest stringed instruments made - and he knows tone, responsiveness and playability like no one else. If Larry says it’s a good guitar - you can count on it for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Here is a great video worth watching. If you want to know how Larry Wexer is perceived in the guitar world Jump to 5:24. Larry has been a friend for over 30 years - and when it comes to knowledge and integrity…..he’s the best.

He’s also a fantastic guitar, mandolin and harmonica player, who practices for several hours a day. He plays many different styles, and has sold some of the finest Martin, D’Angelico, D’Aquisto and Gibson’s ever made.

He’s usually called into Auction houses to appraise upcoming events - and has a network of clients with some of the finest stringed instrument collections in existence.

This is a man that’s held and played the finest stringed instruments made - and he knows tone, responsiveness and playability like no one else. If Larry says it’s a good guitar - you can count on it for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm in the middle of buying a guitar from him.

We'll see how it goes.

He may owe you all a commission after this.

Pretty sure he keeps an eye on this web site, too.

User Info Menu

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm in the middle of buying a guitar from him.

We'll see how it goes.

He may owe you all a commission after this.

Pretty sure he keeps an eye on this web site, too.
    Awesome! Please share your NGD when that magical day arrives!

User Info Menu

I remember meeting Larry on Staten Island, in Mando Bros. I didn't buy anything that day, but he was a 'stand-up' guy.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the feedback, all.

I wired a truckload of money to New York and a Gibson Citation showed up on my doorstep this week.

Larry was good to work with and packed it well.

I've attached Larry's pictures. Not sure why they show up sideways.

I need to work some pictures of my own and do another post for it. The back on this guitar comes to life as you change angles and lighting. Hopefully, I can capture that.

It plays and sounds great! Time to work up some Joe Pass tunes on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images Has anyone here bought a guitar from Laurence Wexer in New York?-95-citation-front-jpg Has anyone here bought a guitar from Laurence Wexer in New York?-citation-back-jpg