The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Hello all- I'm new to the forum. My good buddy and guitar whisperer, BFlat233, tells me that it's customary to post a new arrival. I just picked up a Tal Farlow from archtop.com. I'm in Portland so a trip up to Seattle to play this axe was a reasonable thing to do. I very much liked this guitar (enough to buy it!) during my tryout but absolutely LOVE it after playing it through my Quilter (10" Micropro Mach 2). (Note to self--bring your amp the next time you preview a guitar). This guitar is now at the top of my A-list (1953 ES 175, Benedetto Bravo Deluxe, Eastman 486ED). What a lucky fella!
    Attached Images Attached Images NGD -- 2001 Gibson Tal Farlow-tal-top-side-jpg NGD -- 2001 Gibson Tal Farlow-tal-head-jpg NGD -- 2001 Gibson Tal Farlow-tal-front-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A wonderful Tal would be curious of your comparison with your other guitars as they are all in the same type. Laminate construction and especially the 175 vs the Tal. The Benny is certainly different but not a carved top so close. You did well and for being new to the forum you hit a home run on the first pitch!

User Info Menu

Congrats and may she inspire your playing for many years to come.

User Info Menu

Hi!
    Love then in red! Its a great axe inspired by a great person…. Enjoy in good health!
    Now like Tal you need a set of 13 Chromes with 15-20 on top)))

User Info Menu

Congratulations! Every Tal owner seems to love it. I have mixed feelings. A missed opportunity around 2006 left a craving. I finally found my 2014 Tal last year, but haven't quite come to grips with it. Compared to my ES-175 1959 VOS and Benedetto Bravo, I find it heavy and stiff, almost like a solid-body. As well, the top two strings sound bright and stingy, unless the volume is rolled down a bit. Perhaps it's just me, and the recent lack of gigging opportunities, but my beautiful Tal has has been mainly resting in its coffin. I rescued it from somebody totally in the woods with archtops, but consider passing it on. There aren't too many around in Europe, I believe.

User Info Menu

Congratulations! You purchased the perfect generation for a Tal, for in 2001 Gibson was on a roll with their production of very superb guitars during this period. And the shading of most archtop’s from this period were some of the finest ever produced, imo.

I know that drive to Seattle really well, having driven from Seattle to Portland to purchase a Super 400 which was posted on Craigslist. The drive home was never shorter, even in the slow lane. I was pinching myself. Enjoy the Tal! And Welcome!!!

User Info Menu

Tal’s rule…..a big CONGRATS !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    Congratulations! Every Tal owner seems to love it. I have mixed feelings. A missed opportunity around 2006 left a craving. I finally found my 2014 Tal last year, but haven't quite come to grips with it. Compared to my ES-175 1959 VOS and Benedetto Bravo, I find it heavy and stiff, almost like a solid-body. As well, the top two strings sound bright and stingy, unless the volume is rolled down a bit. Perhaps it's just me, and the recent lack of gigging opportunities, but my beautiful Tal has has been mainly resting in its coffin. I rescued it from somebody totally in the woods with archtops, but consider passing it on. There aren't too many around in Europe, I believe.
    I am surprised at your comments, having had three Tal's over the years speaks volumes, If the guitar
    is properly set up it should have none of these issues.My current model is a 2014 Crimson Custom
    build, finished in Viceroy Brown ( actually flamed Cherry Sunburst is a better description ! ) IMHO
    the Tal stands up well with an L5, neither compare to a Campellone. just my 2p

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    A wonderful Tal would be curious of your comparison with your other guitars as they are all in the same type. Laminate construction and especially the 175 vs the Tal. The Benny is certainly different but not a carved top so close. You did well and for being new to the forum you hit a home run on the first pitch!
    Hmmm..subtle differences indeed. To my ears--The 175 is equipped with P90s so great old school chunk suitable for rhythmic comping but I like a fatter sound for single note work. The Benedetto has been my main gigger for years and is nice and light weight (great for standing) but I have been finding the highs a bit screechy at volume. The Eastman's (the ED is for El Diablo) a gorgeous thing that looks, plays and sounds like a 335 only tighter and fatter IMO.
    I'm gigging the Tal on Monday with a full combo. Can't wait!

Pics of the rest of the (laminated) herd.
    Attached Images Attached Images NGD -- 2001 Gibson Tal Farlow-bene-175-435-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    I am surprised at your comments, having had three Tal's over the years speaks volumes, If the guitar
    is properly set up it should have none of these issues.My current model is a 2014 Crimson Custom
    build, finished in Viceroy Brown ( actually flamed Cherry Sunburst is a better description ! ) IMHO
    the Tal stands up well with an L5, neither compare to a Campellone. just my 2p
    I regret bringing up my views in this context - definitely no intention to spoil the OP's joy. I had one of the country's top techs go over the guitar. Further adjusting of pole pieces might help the top strings, or non-metal saddles on the TOM bridge. Or a wooden bridge. Time will tell; I'm in no hurry since I don't intend to gig with such a mint-condition treasure and will keep it in original condition. What I do intend to do is have it tested by one or two top-notch jazz guitarists - and I'll be happy indeed if they prove me wrong. After over 60 years and 60 guitars I'm still just a hopeless amateur as a player.

User Info Menu

A fun fact that most don’t know about Tal’s color viceroy brown.
    When coming up with the color Gibson asked Tal what color sunburst.
    Apparently at the time Tal was smoking Viceroy cigarettes and he said the color of this cigarette filter.

User Info Menu

You have a wonderful, iconic instrument. Congratulations, and play it in good health!