The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

...If you like the Little Jazz, but want a more natural acoustic archtop sound, you might consider its acoustic twin.

AC 801 P – Markbass

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Do you own it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_175
    Do you own it?
    No, but I like acoustic amps in general. I've used Fishman, Genz-Benz, now use Genzler. There seems to be a lot of love for the Little Jazz here, so I thought I'd mention it. Plus, I think it looks very cool. But I hated the metallic-y reverb on the DV 250 head I had for a while, so I am wary of that. Maybe they've changed that.

User Info Menu

I like the way the mark bass amps sound for jazz guitar.

no reverb though, but no reverb is better than bad reverb imo

Then there's DV's bigger stronger brother, the AC101. One thing that bothers me about some of these acoustic amps is that the on-board effects make you choose between either reverb, or delay, or chorus. You can only have one. That's where Fishman and Genzler nail it, you can combine them with separate controls. I guess if you don't use chorus it's a non-issue.

AC 101 H – Markbass

User Info Menu

The amp that you call "the big brother", the AC 101 H replaces the AC 101, which is now discontinued. It is just that "H" that makes the difference .
    I remember I tried the old model AC 101 with a Gibson Es 175 in a music shop many years ago and I liked it a lot. I had the impression that the quality of the sound was better than that of my Henriksen jazzamp 112 ER.
    I often thought about purchasing it but never did.
    What strikes me about dvmark is the amount of discontinued products they have. If you look at guitar/combo section, they have 12 discontinued amps. In the bass section they have 18 discontinued models.
    I assume this is the result of continuos efforts to improve their amplification systems (or that there is something wrong that they have to correct....)

User Info Menu

DV Mark and Quilter are both relative newcomers, which have pushed the solid state/Class D envelope with their own technology for about a decade. And commendably so! Contrary to older manufacturers, who can milk their classic/vintage reputation and, especially in the case of Fender, introduce and re-introduce successive generations of products under the same name, they are keen to show progress with new models and dynamic marketing. Sometimes the changes are purely cosmetic, as seems to be the case with DV Mark's Micro 50/60 versions. The MarkBass bass amps have been around several years longer, which partly explains the seemingly nervous product portfolio.

Many smaller makers are taking their power unit/power amp modules from IcePower, so their own input is limited to the preamp section, connectivity features and, with combos, speaker choices. Their market share is probably so much lower that the market needs quite some time to absorb a minimum feasible production run. True boutique products with hand-assembled components are a different story again, but rare on the solid state side.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug

Many smaller makers are taking their power unit/power amp modules from IcePower, so their own input is limited to the preamp section, connectivity features and, with combos, speaker choices.
    Thanks Gb, I had to look them up. Interesting.

ICEpower - Intelligent, Compact & Efficient Sound Made Powerful

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_175
    What strikes me about dvmark is the amount of discontinued products they have. If you look at guitar/combo section, they have 12 discontinued amps. In the bass section they have 18 discontinued models.
    I assume this is the result of continuos efforts to improve their amplification systems (or that there is something wrong that they have to correct....)
    I bought the first generaton DV Mark Gambale combo. While really I liked the control layout and tone (and it looked so cool), I found it severely underpowered on the clean channel. I don't know if the newer version is any better. They claimed 150w, but I think that was for 4 Ohms, while it shipped with an 8 Ohm speaker

DV Mark Frank Gambale 1x12 Combo Amp - Pre-Owned (COLLECTION ONLY)

Last edited by Woody Sound; 07-04-2022 at 09:30 AM.

User Info Menu

I spoke to Frank Gambale a few months ago after his fantastic concert in Espoo, Finland. A DVMark combo in use for just one acoustic number, the rest through a smallish tube amp. Can't remember the maker, but should be no sweat to google up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I bought the first generaton DV Mark Gambale combo. While really I liked the control layout and tone (and it looked so cool), I found it severely underpowered on the clean channel.
    That’s probably why they upped the ante to a rated 250W into 4 Ohms for the next generation. My EG250 only has a clean channel, and it makes some serious sound through my 8 Ohm RE 10.

User Info Menu

Gambale's amp was a Laney.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Then there's DV's bigger stronger brother, the AC101. One thing that bothers me about some of these acoustic amps is that the on-board effects make you choose between either reverb, or delay, or chorus. You can only have one. That's where Fishman and Genzler nail it, you can combine them with separate controls. I guess if you don't use chorus it's a non-issue.

AC 101 H – Markbass

That's surprising. My Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge allows me to run reverb and chorus simultaneously, and I typically do, when I use it in the church band I play in.