The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

did you catch this?

Markbass released announced new bass cabinets that use a composite instead of wood for the cab. This cab has a ceramic magnet and weighs 21lbs... They have a neo magnet version that is slightly more than 15lbs. I wonder if they'll be releasing guitar versions?

MB58R 121 P – Markbass

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

They already have two low weight cabs for guitar: 2x8 at 22lbs, and a 2x12 at 24lbs. Both can be run in stereo. Both have high wattage speakers.

I am doing this from memory so some facts could be off. I have never heard them so I have no tonal assessment to offer.

I would really like hear and run the 2x8 through some paces and see how well it works.

Also the brand Skin Cabs looks interesting. I sent them an email with a few questions. They never emailed me back. Maybe I will try again but the DV Mark cabs are pretty close in weight and I can easily purchase them.

Skincabs - Premium Custom Lightweight Guitar Cabs

Yes, but these new cabs will be 7-8lbs lighter because they are not wood. I don't know if they'll release guitar versions though but I'm guessing they will. I do use their neo pearl speakers in my mojotone lite cabs and they are absolutely the best neo guitar speakers I have tried (and I've owned a bunch of them)

Quote Originally Posted by st.bede
    They already have two low weight cabs for guitar: 2x8 at 22lbs, and a 2x12 at 24lbs. Both can be run in stereo. Both have high wattage speakers.

I am doing this from memory so some facts could be off. I have never heard them so I have no tonal assessment to offer.

I would really like hear and run the 2x8 through some paces and see how well it works.

Also the brand Skin Cabs looks interesting. I sent them an email with a few questions. They never emailed me back. Maybe I will try again but the DV Mark cabs are pretty close in weight and I can easily purchase them.

User Info Menu

Just an unrelated aside, last year I bought a custom handmade ultralight carbon/kevlar canoe from Slipstream Watercraft, 13', seats 2, just 21 lbs. My little wife can carry it with one hand or over her shoulder. Amazing.

Welcome

Sportduo 13

http://www.slipstreamwatercraft.com/Slipstream_Watercraft_2/To_Smile_About_%26_Customer_Comments.html

Exciting new speaker cab-canoes-jpg
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 07-01-2022 at 10:30 AM.

User Info Menu

Wow! That’s a new name to me. I just looked at their website, and the specs are very impressive. Hopefully they sound great, because I’m sure that the price is equally impressive.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Yes, but these new cabs will be 7-8lbs lighter because they are not wood. I don't know if they'll release guitar versions though but I'm guessing they will. I do use their neo pearl speakers in my mojotone lite cabs and they are absolutely the best neo guitar speakers I have tried (and I've owned a bunch of them)
    Thanks for the information. I will check out the neo pearl. Do you have any thoughts or experiences with Jenson Tornado?

I hope DV Mark does offer some new cabs.

(FYI I also emailed Skincabs again).

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Wow! That’s a new name to me. I just looked at their website, and the specs are very impressive. Hopefully they sound great, because I’m sure that the price is equally impressive.
    they look ugly IMO. Also, I didn't see the 12" cab dimensions listed but it looked small which probably will sound boxy. I think the mojotone lite cab with a DVMark pearl is a nice option. It's around 23lbs and does not sound boxy. I think it's the smallest open back cab that I've tried which does NOT? sound boxy.

User Info Menu

FWIW I have a Quilter Block Dock that has a Celestion BN12-300S. (It’s a Neo) Highly recommend it, after years of using the Eminence DeltaLite Pro. It’s a bass speaker, but I would rate it near an EVM12L. On line others have too, although that’s close to blasphemy
    Smooth, detailed, good enough for Pat Quilter good enough for jk.

Thanks for the information. I will check out the neo pearl. Do you have any thoughts or experiences with Jenson Tornado?

I hope DV Mark does offer some new cabs.

(FYI I also emailed Skincabs again).
    Yes, just my opinion but I have owned several variations of the jenson jet / stealth tornado. I got a nice sound in my bedroom at low levels but every gig I played with them was extremely painful. They mush out when played loud (and I'm talking jazz guitar trio, not rock band) and i just hated the sound of them at band volume. IMO, for anything other than roots rock or blues rock stuff, they are not great speakers. Note - This was 2.5 years ago and technology changes so they may have improved since then...

User Info Menu

they look ugly IMO.
    Although it's mission-critical when hiring band mates, that's the least important quality to me in an amp or speaker cab, Jack. I've played through everything from rolled and pleated naugahyde Kustoms to shag carpeted monstrosities to the 12" knockoff GK cab I built from a street sign and still use. If it's built well, sounds great, and is easy for me to carry, I'm all in - it could look like Oscar the Grouch's trash can and I wouldn't care (much).

I agree that appearance matters in some venues and situations, and I probably wouldn't take Oscar's can on stage at Carnegie Hall unless it sounded so fine that I cried tears of joy every time I played through it.

Exciting new speaker cab-oscar_in_can-jpg

The ugly was a side note. The small size is the bigger issue for me...

Although it's mission-critical when hiring band mates, that's the least important quality to me in an amp or speaker cab, Jack. I've played through everything from rolled and pleated naugahyde Kustoms to shag carpeted monstrosities to the 12" knockoff GK cab I built from a street sign and still use. If it's built well, sounds great, and is easy for me to carry, I'm all in - it could look like Oscar the Grouch's trash can and I wouldn't care (much).

I agree that appearance matters in some venues and situations, and I probably wouldn't take Oscar's can on stage at Carnegie Hall unless it sounded so fine that I cried tears of joy every time I played through it.

Exciting new speaker cab-oscar_in_can-jpg

User Info Menu

The ugly was a side note. The small size is the bigger issue for me...
    Me too! Markku, how about a limited edition Oscar The Grouch model Toob???

User Info Menu

Me too! Markku, how about a limited edition Oscar The Grouch model Toob???

Ha! I have to catch up on Oscar because my family left USA after a two-year stint at the IMF in 1976. My elder son, then 3, was a big Sesame Street fan, and I still remember most of the tunes, including "I love trash." However, I deal with sewer pipes exclusively. How else could one achieve 4-11 lbs weight without astronomical cost?

On a more serious note, the 500 Toobs and Metros mark will be reached over the next few weeks. For a 75-year old five years in the business, this is a kind of a double or quit milestone. Having just received 362 laser-cut wood parts and expecting over 40 SICA woofers in August, looks like quit is not an option. But yes, I'm happy to see other ultra-light cabs finally in the rear mirror. Proves I've not blazed the wrong trail. Exclusively positive feedback, much of it from pro musicians in 30 countries, keeps me going. And on responsiveness: the toobspeakers@gmail.com Mailbox has over 4,000 messages and just as many in Sent.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    Ha! I have to catch up on Oscar because my family left USA after a two-year stint at the IMF in 1976. My elder son, then 3, was a big Sesame Street fan, and I still remember most of the tunes, including "I love trash." However, I deal with sewer pipes exclusively. How else could one achieve 4-11 lbs weight without astronomical cost?
    Innovation is the future, my friend! As they say on the farm: where there's swill, there's a way

Exciting new speaker cab-trashcan-jpg

User Info Menu

Jack Z. I bought one of their light weight 1x12” guitar cabs awhile back. 150 watt Neo speaker. Weighs very little and a nice option!
    But to be fair I haven’t been gigging enough to tell how it compares.

I mainly bought it as a companion for my Quilter 1x8” Aviator Combo, for louder Rock Pop gigs.

User Info Menu

A common diameter of metal garbage cans seems to be 20.5 inches, so a 15 speaker would fit easy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohanAbrandt
    A common diameter of metal garbage cans seems to be 20.5 inches, so a 15 speaker would fit easy
    A metal trash can as a cab is a joke of course. I've tried expanded PP (the same material as TRIC cases) flower pots with some success. 400 mm o/d corrugated double-wall drainage pipe is rigid and takes a 15" speaker. Been there, done that. But who needs such a narrow-beamed monster in today's environment of noise restrictions and in-house PA? Market data is scant and expensive, but from what I gather, personal stage amplification has been on the decline for a decade at least, with Class D/ultra-light as the only growing subsegment. I can do a 39 lbs 4x12, but with used stacks in abundance for next to nothing, there's no market.

User Info Menu

A metal trash can as a cab is a joke of course..
    Of course. If I was in need for a light cab I`d buy a Toob. Coolest cab on the market no doubt.

User Info Menu

A metal trash can as a cab is a joke of course.
    And of course, there are the licensing fees you’d owe Sesame Street…….

User Info Menu

And of course, there are the licensing fees you’d owe Sesame Street…….
    And of course theres the trash haulers union…

User Info Menu

I can't speak about this cab, but I personally know and have worked with 4 bass players (including myself) who use the CMD 121 combo. It's awesome.

Last edited by Woody Sound; 07-02-2022 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Jack Z. I bought one of their light weight 1x12” guitar cabs awhile back. 150 watt Neo speaker. Weighs very little and a nice option!
    But to be fair I haven’t been gigging enough to tell how it compares.

I mainly bought it as a companion for my Quilter 1x8” Aviator Combo, for louder Rock Pop gigs.
    Who is "their" ? dvmark? A friend of mine has 2 of their 1x12 cabs. One is the one they call "small" and the other is the "neoclassic". The smaller one sounds boxy to me...I think the mojotone sounds better being a little larger and open back...I love their pearl speaker though. It's the only neo speaker I like. Still doesn't sound as good as a ceramic speaker but I'm not getting any younger...

[update] Apparently, the new composite cabs are only available in the bass line currently.

User Info Menu

It's a shame DV Mark discloses nothing on the speakers except they take 150W and come in different colors. Weighing a pound less than Tornados suggests a smaller voice coil/magnet structure. The in-store comparisons I made about three years ago pointed to a lower sensitivity than you'd expect from a modern 12". From that perspective, they need the high wattage, but the DV Mark combo amps only do 50W. Then again, my Micro 50 head (more or less the same amp) gets louder than my Luna 200R.

I find them more efficient than the jensen, eminence oe celestion neo speakers and they hold up better for loud clean tones. I aagree their site and info is horrible

It's a shame DV Mark discloses nothing on the speakers except they take 150W and come in different colors. Weighing a pound less than Tornados suggests a smaller voice coil/magnet structure. The in-store comparisons I made about three years ago pointed to a lower sensitivity than you'd expect from a modern 12". From that perspective, they need the high wattage, but the DV Mark combo amps only do 50W. Then again, my Micro 50 head (more or less the same amp) gets louder than my Luna 200R.

User Info Menu

I now fear boxy. For me boxy would mean: lows and mids lose definition (ie: you can not hear between the frequencies and every thing is mush), and the highs do not extend. Like a cheap car radio.

My experience is that closed back cabs tighten the bass frequencies, mids and highs are due to speakers. However those are well made and expensive.

I would love to learn how you relate to the word boxy.

I hope to gain more knowledge from you sharing you experiences. I can also respect if you do not want to. We all have a right to our thoughts, and feelings. Peace