The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

I have an Epiphone Les Paul 100 that I want to replace the pickups on. I am wondering if a Benedetto B6 would sound good on it, considering it's made for hollow archtops.

Do you have any recommendations for replacement pickups?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi!
    Lots of great pickups out there! For an LP, a nice PAF style would be cool. Check out Bare Knuckle, Amalfitano, Porter, et al.

[Or if you want some fun, get a humbucker sized P-90!]

User Info Menu

The B6 is a great pickup. But pickup sound is almost totally a subjective subject, and what you like may not be what I like. It sounds best, IMO, with the volume rolled back by about half, since it's a high output pickup.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wrogsprit
    I have an Epiphone Les Paul 100 that I want to replace the pickups on. I am wondering if a Benedetto B6 would sound good on it, considering it's made for hollow archtops.

Do you have any recommendations for replacement pickups?
    In a les paul I like low wind, alnico 2, unpotted, nickel cover. The SD seth lover is a safe bet.

Cheap guitar, expensive pickups, go for it, but you will never get your money back unless you split them before selling either.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    It sounds best, IMO, with the volume rolled back by about half, since it's a high output pickup.
    Assuming a B6 is identical in structure and performance to my B7, that epoxy shell is much thicker than any standard HB cover. So it serves as a spacer to keep the strings much further away from the element than is the case with a traditional pickup. The specs say it’s “high output”, but the strings are far enough above the actual pickup to negate much of that.

I made a single pickup (neck) LP 7 from an Epi about 25 years ago and have used it with many pickups (all HB or active). From my experience with LPs and the B7, I suspect the B6 would be a great choice to get a warm, slightly woody tone from it. But I wouldn’t use it if I wanted truly high output for drive - the output isn’t that high despite the specs.

I love my B7, but I didn’t put one in my Tele because I wanted to try a pair of Lace Alumitone “humbuckers” in it. I’d like to swap the neck Alumibucker with the B7, to see how the Lace sounds in an archtop and the B7 sounds in a solid body. I just haven’t been curious enough to do it yet

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Assuming a B6 is identical in structure and performance to my B7, that epoxy shell is much thicker than any standard HB cover. So it serves as a spacer to keep the strings much further away from the element than is the case with a traditional pickup. The specs say it’s “high output”, but the strings are far enough above the actual pickup to negate much of that.

I made a single pickup (neck) LP 7 from an Epi about 25 years ago and have used it with many pickups (all HB or active). From my experience with LPs and the B7, I suspect the B6 would be a great choice to get a warm, slightly woody tone from it. But I wouldn’t use it if I wanted truly high output for drive - the output isn’t that high despite the specs.

I love my B7, but I didn’t put one in my Tele because I wanted to try a pair of Lace Alumitone “humbuckers” in it. I’d like to swap the neck Alumibucker with the B7, to see how the Lace sounds in an archtop and the B7 sounds in a solid body. I just haven’t been curious enough to do it yet
    Seymour Duncan Benedetto B6 Pickup | Seymour Duncan

SD lists them as standard mount. I believe there a post where someone disassembled a broken B6 and it looked a lot like a wax potted blade humbucker, but there was something interesting going on with the electronics that I did not understand.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wrogsprit
    Seymour Duncan Benedetto B6 Pickup | Seymour Duncan

SD lists them as standard mount. I believe there a post where someone disassembled a broken B6 and it looked a lot like a wax potted blade humbucker, but there was something interesting going on with the electronics that I did not understand.
    They are a standard mount. But that black encapsulation is quite thick, especially on top. So even with the top of the pickup very close to the strings, they’re further away from the pickup assembly itself than they would be from a standard humbucker placed the same distance away.

User Info Menu

You might also want to check out Bartolini. The ones I have, do that smooth articulate type of sound very well.

Another PU that also has that type of vibe is the Bill Lawrence PUs. I think they are a bit hotter and have the ceramic magnet thing happen. I like that thing for certain applications. However heavy players also like it. Really good note articulation.

Lawrence lost the brand name so they go by Wilde PUs. Lawrence sadly has passed away but I do believe his wife Becky is still keeping the company up and running.

I have used a lot of Duncan PUs but have never really bonded with them. Others love them. To me they have a certain push in the mids. (Same as boss/roland gear, and I have used and still use their synth stuff everyday). There are good things about the mid range push, even though I tend to appreciate it: I always dislike it.

I have always wonder if I would like
    the Benedetto but have yet to hear them.

User Info Menu

I would recommend to stick with something mainstream like Seymour Duncan Seth Lover as recommended above.

Get it used for a reasonable price and you would likely get your money back if you would decide you'd want something else.

Another reason to get SD SL is that it is commonly known and you would be able to research your next pickup by listening to abundant comparison videos on YouTube which often include that pickup.

Either way, it is one of my favourite pickups. Having vintage wind and Alnico II magnet, I prefer it to the popular SD '59 (A5) which is a bit more scooped and can be harder to get a balanced tone in the neck position in my experience. Especially since typical amps used for jazz also tend to be scooped to begin with (e.g. Fender combos).

Quote Originally Posted by burchyk
    I would recommend to stick with something mainstream like Seymour Duncan Seth Lover as recommended above.

Get it used for a reasonable price and you would likely get your money back if you would decide you'd want something else.

Another reason to get SD SL is that it is commonly known and you would be able to research your next pickup by listening to abundant comparison videos on YouTube which often include that pickup.

Either way, it is one of my favourite pickups. Having vintage wind and Alnico II magnet, I prefer it to the popular SD '59 (A5) which is a bit more scooped and can be harder to get a balanced tone in the neck position in my experience. Especially since typical amps used for jazz also tend to be scooped to begin with (e.g. Fender combos).
    I ended up winning a bid on a used Benedetto B6.

I had a SD 59 in a Tele before and didn't like it, but I only had a cheap line 6 amp back then, so that might've affected the tone. I recall it being really boomy and bassy.

I'll check SL videos on YouTube when I get home.