The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Greetings. Does anybody have any thoughts on the Gretsch G100CE Synchromatic Cutaway? I can't find anything here. Mind you, that might be because I'm new here and haven't sussed out the search engine x

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think in that price range we tend to recommend the Godin 5th Ave more
    Last edited by blille; 07-20-2022 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blille
    I think I’m that price range we tend to recommend the Godin 5th Ave more
    I'm looking for single p/u cutaway.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polyp
    Greetings. Does anybody have any thoughts on the Gretsch G100CE Synchromatic Cutaway? I can't find anything here. Mind you, that might be because I'm new here and haven't sussed out the search engine x

Well, that surprised me, one comment recommending something else. Is it really that bad?

User Info Menu

It seems decent enough. If you're in the US there's on at Guitar Center for $429. I think they will ship anywhere for free or at least cheap.

But I second the recommendation for considering Godin!

The problem with Gretsch is that there aren't a lot of dealers around and not as many on the used market, so not much chance for many of us to try them out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polyp
    Well, that surprised me, one comment recommending something else. Is it really that bad?
    I tried one. The unplugged sound is not good, basically a typical low-end laminated archtop that looks like an acoustic guitar but really isn't one. The plugged in sound struck me as and overly thin and bright, also typical of low-end laminated archtops with floating pickups. Build quality and playability were fine, though (as is generally the case with the entire Gretsch line). The point about comparing it to the Godin 5th Ave/Kingpin is that the Godin actually sounds better both unplugged and plugged in (though it, too, isn't really an acoustic guitar). I can say this from comparing the two side by side and buying a Godin. Others might prefer the Gretsch, though.

But it doesn't really make much sense to recommend anything to you without knowing what you're looking for. Does the Gretsch interest you because you specifically want an acoustic archtop with a floating pickup? If so, how important is the acoustic sound to you? Or is just that you want an archtop (without having thought much about the acoustic/floater dimension), and this was within your budget? That sort of thing. If you go looking for opinions about a particular guitar you'll get them, which might not be all that useful. But if you open a conversation with some information about how you play, what qualities and features you're looking for, what you have now and/or have aleady checked out, how much money you have to spend, etc., you might get more in the way of help.
    Last edited by John A.; 07-19-2022 at 02:38 PM.

User Info Menu

If this helps you...there is the profile of an excellent professional musician, playing this model of Gretsch in different situations...duo, trio, solo, big band, unplugged...

Joseval Paes (@josevalpaesoficial) • Instagram photos and videos

Thank you for your comments. I was looking for a single pu. But I've just fallen in love win a Godin Kingpin II p90s. As soon as I held, and played, one, I had no choice but to buy it.