The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

There is a repro 19th C parlor guitar I am interested in, available from several ebay dealers in Japan. I have sent messages asking if a case is included. None of the Japanese dealers reply at all. Is this normal, or is it a language/cultural thing? I do have a Japanese neighbor who comes here a few times a year to visit, but covid killed that.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 06-27-2022 at 08:49 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Often these are brokers who don't have the guitar themselves. Try to find out which shop is selling the guitar and contact them directly.

User Info Menu

keep in mind the difference is in the time zones and the delay if you contact it on the weekend expect more of a delay
    Once chasing down a blonde GB 20 it was the watermark of the dealer on the corner of the pictures that steered me to the right store that actually had had it in it’s inventory
    being a George Benson fanatic I occasionally run into models did you just don’t see in America that are made for the Japan market only and it’s worth doing the extra sleuthing to bring home something he would never get in America
    Good luck on your hunt I hope you scored the guitar you could always try to find a case for it in a big store here in America

Quote Originally Posted by Crm114

keep in mind the difference is in the time zones and the delay if you contact it on the weekend expect more of a delay
    Once chasing down a blonde GB 20 it was the watermark of the dealer on the corner of the pictures that steered me to the right store that actually had had it in it’s inventory
    being a George Benson fanatic I occasionally run into models did you just don’t see in America that are made for the Japan market only and it’s worth doing the extra sleuthing to bring home something he would never get in America
    Good luck on your hunt I hope you scored the guitar you could always try to find a case for it in a big store here in America

Aria 19C. Small 19th Century stye body. Lower bout 12.5".

https://www.ebay.com/p/817099694?iid=325155783054

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Thanks Jabbs, I found plenty of places that sell them, but none of them will answer me about whether or not it comes with the case. They just don't answer. Grand Salon in Montreal shows one with a case, but they want twice as much $, even with shipping. A 12-1/2" bout case would be hard to find.

C-549, Aria 19C-100N (Japan) – Grand Salon de Guitare

And now it looks like there may be shipping restrictions to the USA, maybe because of the wood.

User Info Menu

Write to Kurosawa Gakki. They will reply when they open in the morning.

If you ask me, I don't think it comes with a case. A case is sold separately. Might be more economical to get a Gator Case stateside.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

This one too.

Ordering from Japan to USA-screenshot-2022-06-28-12-29-00-pm-png

Note: if you choose to order, it will be a chunk of money to send it, but you may also get a discount for the consumption tax.
    You might want to check on import duty as well.

So you guys read Japanese?

User Info Menu

Woody, are you set on this particular model? If not, check out the Dowina Bona Vida Hybrid. It looks a lot more like the 1845 Martin parlor that's been featured here or on the AGF recently, has a comparable nutwidth and (the version I've seen in demoed) walnut B&S so no CITES drama. It probably costs more but should come with a custom HSC and shipping should be less.

(I also have a hunch that it might sound better)

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    Woody, are you set on this particular model? If not, check out the Dowina Bona Vida Hybrid. It looks a lot more like the 1845 Martin parlor that's been featured here or on the AGF recently, has a comparable nutwidth and (the version I've seen in demoed) walnut B&S so no CITES drama. It probably costs more but should come with a custom HSC and shipping should be less.

(I also have a hunch that it might sound better)
    Thanks R, but I'm looking for an early 19th century style nylon classical, to play Paganini, Giuliani, Sor, etc. Not a steel string parlor. I know it's a bit outside of this forum's scope.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Thanks R, but I'm looking for an early 19th century style nylon classical, to play Paganini, Giuliani, Sor, etc. Not a steel string parlor. I know it's a bit outside of this forum's scope.
    Best we can tell those early parlors were used with both kinds of strings - and if it wasn't clear, the BV Hybrid *is* a nylon-string guitar. But so what you're really looking for is a Stauffer, (Hermann) Hauser or Panormo copy?

User Info Menu

Did you end up getting a response from Kurosawa? They are a pretty major shop in Tokyo, and no doubt have some people used to dealing with English speaking customers.

The guitars I see regularly at shops in Tokyo are just unbelievably nice, thinking of starting a guitar concierge service, guiding people to shops around Tokyo and helping them track down what they want Quality, choice and prices are fantastic for what you get.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    So you guys read Japanese?
    I usually use online translators as a basic help. Then, if it "becomes serious" i ask wifey who is originally from Tokyo.