The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

As stated in the title, what are your thoughts on the classic swing and '40s tone of a Campellone vs. Vintage Gibson L5/L7? Having never played a Campellone, I am not sure what the character of their acoustic tone is?

While a blonde 30s-early 50s Gibson L5 blonde would be a dream, I wonder if a Campellone would have a similar sound or if the Campellone is more of a modern Gibson tone... or perhaps its own thing all together.

Just to toss one other detail... one of the guitars I am looking at (online and not in demo driving range) is a 16" Campellone with 24.6" scale. I realize this will have an affect on the tone.

Appreciate your thoughts.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have all three of those guitars, a Campellone, an L5C and an L7. My Campellone sounds different than the Gibsons. My Gibsons are both brighter and have the sound of old swing era guitars (the non-cut L7 even more-so than the cutaway L5C). My Campellone sounds warmer and more “modern”. Having said that, my Campellone is a slightly shorter and shallower 17” body (Johnny Smith dimensions) and 25” scale. I had another Campellone a few years ago with a larger body (L5 size) and 25.5” scale. That one sounded more traditional. It had lots of volume and a brighter attack, more like my old Gibsons. Based on the guitars I have owned and others I have played, I feel that if you opt for a Campellone, you might be best to find one with the same body size and scale of an L5, for the sound you want. Having said that, an old non-cut L7 is an affordable option that will certainly deliver the sound of an old swing-era guitar. Mine is a 1947 and it really sounds great.
    Keith

User Info Menu

I might be mistaken but the Campellone is more of an acoustic Johnny Smith on steroids and due to the finely tuned nature of the top and back plates, the sound will be warmer and more dynamic in the lower mids, compared to the relatively stiff, parallel braced, Gibson plates of that era.
    So from my 'lived' experience, as people like to say, the Gibson's will have the earlier swing sound you're looking for.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    I might be mistaken but the Campellone is more of an acoustic Johnny Smith on steroids and due to the finely tuned nature of the top and back plates, the sound will be warmer and more dynamic in the lower mids, compared to the relatively stiff, parallel braced, Gibson plates of that era.
    So from my 'lived' experience, as people like to say, the Gibson's will have the earlier swing sound you're looking for.
    I agree with the Campellone being warmer than the old Gibsons. Regarding your comaparison of a Campellone to a Gibson Johnny Smith, I don’t find those two guitars to be much different. I also have a Gibson Johnny Smith and my Campellone has identical body dimensions, scale etc. They actually sound very similar and have about the same volume. Neither of them have the “old” sound like the my L7 or L5C though.
    Keith

User Info Menu

I don't know if this helps but I have an 18 inch Campellone Deluxe from 1998. It sounds different for sure from the typical Super 400 guitars from the late 30's and 40's. The Campy has a warmer tone with a smoother bass that have what I called a more developed sound. The upper registers are nice but not trebly like say a well make Johnny Smith with the pronounce highs. The swing era Super 400's have steely sound with a bit more "throb" in the attack. Again is not so much which one is better but what you what in sound. Frankly I like both of the options depending on my mood for the day.

The Campy's as Floatingpickup said, is pretty much spot on correct. In fact, given his experience with these particular guitars he is the authority on it and probably no need to go further. Just buy and L7 and a Campellone then you won't have to worry the bases are covered

User Info Menu

1953 Gibson L-7 | Reverb

Go 17", 25.5" scale length, vintage wood or go home.

User Info Menu

Why no Epiphone in the mix?

?? Campellone vs. Gibson L5 / L7 -- Classic Acoustic Swing Tone-46bwy_1121_-jpg

Great replies as always. Thanks.

I'll just keep saving and searching for the right L7 / L5. Epiphones are an option as well. I have been searching Reverb, Craigslist, etc. tracking pricing and availability.

Cheers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    I agree with the Campellone being warmer than the old Gibsons. Regarding your comaparison of a Campellone to a Gibson Johnny Smith, I don’t find those two guitars to be much different. I also have a Gibson Johnny Smith and my Campellone has identical body dimensions, scale etc. They actually sound very similar and have about the same volume. Neither of them have the “old” sound like the my L7 or L5C though.
    Keith
    Indeed, it has been a long time since Gibson has made guitars specifically for acoustic "Freddie Green" type coming- at least since the '50's. The acoustic L5's might be more in that vein, but most players post-Charlie Christian wanted to be able to comp and solo, and the guitars evolved with thicker plates etc to accomplish this and minimize feedback. Even D'Angellico guitars made this transition.

With a Campellone, I can get mine to chug like that but it's really more of a finesse instrument with warmer mid frequencies etc. And it sounds great amplified as well.

OP I am not sure how authentic you want to be with this or whether you want the guitar to cover other styles as well; if the latter, a Campy could work out great. For a '40's sound, maybe looking for a guitar of that era will be more true to that genre.

Quote Originally Posted by bluejaybill
    OP I am not sure how authentic you want to be with this or whether you want the guitar to cover other styles as well; if the latter, a Campy could work out great. For a '40's sound, maybe looking for a guitar of that era will be more true to that genre.
    Good question. I “think” That I am leaning more toward authentic era comping and chord melody type sound. Seems 40s-early 50s L5 / 7 is the ticket.