The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Hi everyone,
    I am writing this post to get some advice/opinions from other forum members. I currently own two henriksen amps: a 112 ER JazzAmp and a 110 ER BluesAmp (Rajin cajun speaker) both discontinued. I often had the impression that the 112 was a bit too much on the bass side for guitar so I was thinking of selling the 112 jazzamp and buying a Blu Ten, also because I am curious to hear how the new amp sounds. I would end up with a pair of henriksen amps with 10" speakers.
    Is it something you would consider doing. I would like to hear your opinions on the basis of your experience or your specific needs.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What guitars do you play? The amps will react differently to body types, pickups, hollow vs solid, etc.

Another consideration is that you may want to try swapping out the speaker in the 112 to one that has a frequency response that doesn't emphasize bass.

The only way I would consider the change would be if I could acquire the new amp without losing money in the swap (which seems unlikely in your case since you want to upgrade to a newer model).

User Info Menu

I've got all sorts of guitars, from laminated archtops to semi-hollow and solid body, so I know the result very much depends on which guitar is played.
    As for the speaker swap in the jazzamp 112 I can remember several discussions in the gear page forum and, of course, in this one, many years ago, regarding possible alternatives to the Eminence Beta 12 speaker. I remember someone had come up with the Jensen Tornado.
    Maybe mine is kind of a silly question, more like a GAS attack rather than a real need. I used to gig around a few years ago but now I only play at home.

User Info Menu

Different generation Henriksen amps

From the above thread, I read that the different generations of Henriksen sound very similar or maybe the latest gen is a little warmer.

I have not had a chance to try the new class d Henriksen, but the class d amps I have heard all sound really good (I have only checked out the more expensive ones).

I also have a Henriksen Jazz amp 2nd or 3rd (I can never remember). Sometimes I also think about getting a newer one, but I am happy.

User Info Menu

Thanks, interesting thread on the old generations Henriksen amps.

User Info Menu

Did you try turning 100 and 300 Hz all the way down, turn the higher frequencies up and adjust from volume. I agree with your GAS attack theory.

User Info Menu

Just to support your GAS. I would do a speaker swap if I was looking for a different sound and/or according to what pedals I am using. I like to endlessly search for things. The Jenson web pages are fun.

(Here is my latest GAS thought. New cab (maybe custom built), symour duncan powerstage, UA AITB).

User Info Menu

The danger is that I might order another amp and keeping the ones I already have. That is one of the possible consequences of GAS: gradually accumulating stuff....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_175
    ...I often had the impression that the 112 was a bit too much on the bass side for guitar so I was thinking of selling the 112 jazzamp ...
    I believe Medblues is on the right track (Post #6). For Jazz with an archtop, I turn down the 300 Hz knob to about 10 O'clock, leave the rest relatively flat, and use a wedge to tilt the front of the amp off the floor a few inches. The bass is deep but clear and tight - like a grand piano. For Pop with a semi-hollow and a few effects (again using the wedge), I set the 100 and 300 Hz controls at 9 O'clock, the 1kHz and 3 kHz knobs at 3 O'Clock, and the 10kHz knob at 12 O'Clock (it doesn't seem to do much anyway). Again - excellent but not overpowering bass. I've thought about getting an Eminence Deltalite 2512 as a replacement speaker but never come that close to pulling the trigger. My personal feeling is that the 112 sounds much better than the 110 I also used to have. I have a Bud 6 as well and probably would get a Bud 10 (deeper cabinet than the old 110) if I didn't have an amp. By the way, the 112 also sounds quite good at reasonable volumes with an electric bass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_175
    The danger is that I might order another amp and keeping the ones I already have. That is one of the possible consequences of GAS: gradually accumulating stuff....
    My wife's mantra: One in, one out.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 06-29-2022 at 12:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by st.bede
    Just to support your GAS. I would do a speaker swap if I was looking for a different sound and/or according to what pedals I am using. I like to endlessly search for things. The Jenson web pages are fun.

(Here is my latest GAS thought. New cab (maybe custom built), symour duncan powerstage, UA AITB).
    Shouldn't that be "AAS?"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karol
    I've thought about getting an Eminence Deltalite 2512 as a replacement speaker but never come that close to pulling the trigger. My personal feeling is that the 112 sounds much better than the 110 I also used to have. I have a Bud 6 as well and probably would get a Bud 10 (deeper cabinet than the old 110) if I didn't have an amp. By the way, the 112 also sounds quite good at reasonable volumes with an electric bass.
    For a lightweight 12 neo speaker, Quilter uses the Celestion BN12-300.

CELESTION BN12-300s Quilter Labs

User Info Menu

I could be wrong and I am still waking up, but the quilter vid for the Celestion BN12-300, sounding pretty fizzy to me.

The highs were edgy in the way I would typically not want. As if I was running an electric guitar with dirt into a tweeter. I do not want to be negative, but I am not sure I could happily work with the setup used in the vid.

(The Quilter stuff I have come across has always sounded good. Maybe not the sound for me, but very usable. I did have a friend whose amp died at a gig. Outside of that one experience, I have not heard anything bad about quilter).

User Info Menu

All I know is I'm driving 50 miles Saturday to pick up a used Henriksen Jazzamp for $250, and if you never hear from me again, you'll know that GAS is real.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    All I know is I'm driving 50 miles Saturday to pick up a used Henriksen Jazzamp for $250, and if you never hear from me again, you'll know that GAS is real.
    That is great, and at a price that is very seductive. I know very little, but the first generations had lower wattage. That might not be a concern to you, and again at $250 it might not matter. I have not used the lower wattage ones so I can not speak to what they can and can not do.

User Info Menu

That is a great price, but I would bring my friends Mr. Smith and Mr, Wesson along just in case it is too good to be true and you are walking into a rip-off.

User Info Menu

I could be wrong and I am still waking up, but the quilter vid for the Celestion BN12-300, sounding pretty fizzy to me.

The highs were edgy in the way I would typically not want. As if I was running an electric guitar with dirt into a tweeter. I do not want to be negative, but I am not sure I could happily work with the setup used in the vid.

(The Quilter stuff I have come across has always sounded good. Maybe not the sound for me, but very usable. I did have a friend whose amp died at a gig. Outside of that one experience, I have not heard anything bad about quilter).
    I think the vids are toned and geared toward rockers. I use mine dark and clean with a big band and for music theater, and I get compliments.

User Info Menu

I haven't even watched the vid you refer to, but I know my ABCs regarding the BN12-300, having installed dozens into my Toob bass cabs. It's a woofer, never meant for shredding. The stated frequency range is 50 Hz - 4 kHz. Nothing fizzy about that. Of course, lower and higher frequencies are present, but outside a cutoff threshold which varies from one maker to another. My German reseller thinks the bass cab Toob 12B is better (i.e. rounder, darker) for jazz guitar than my other 12" versions. OTOH, bassists laud the 12B for being able to do Marcus Miller stuff without a horn. The BN12-300 is a helluva all-rounder, and the fizz rather comes from amp genius Pat Quilter's personal guitar sound taste: twang, surf, steel, country, Western swing, anything Fendery. The InterBlock 45 was the first Quilter I've tried with enough bass end, and the SuperBlocks are OK in this regard. Haven't tried the current 200W offering. 101R begs for a darker successor IMHO.
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 06-29-2022 at 03:35 PM.

User Info Menu

Watching a vid, not fully knowing what was used, it is difficult to make assumptions. I did not like the vid and I glad that I now have more information. Thank you

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    That is a great price, but I would bring my friends Mr. Smith and Mr, Wesson along just in case it is too good to be true and you are walking into a rip-off.
    I picked up the Henriksen JazzAmp today for $250, and sure enough, it's got reverb on it. The reverb even has it's own on and off switch, so I don't think it's a first generation, but I'll list the layout of the amp here.
    It's only one channel, and doesn't have a mic jack on the top.
    It has a line out 1/4 inch jack on the top.
    It has five tone cone controls like a Graphic Equalizer, the first 3 labeled 10kHz, 3kHz, and 1kHz, and the other two labeled 300Hz and 100Hz
    The Power Switch is also on the top of the amp.

Other than warnings and company info, the back of the amp has a 1/4 inch jack for an extension speaker of 8 Ohms or more (which is great news, because I've got an RS-12 which would sound dynamite with this amp.
    The only other thing is has is a serial # which is 2006- **** , so maybe that means it was made in 2006?

Volume-wise, the seller put the EQ knobs on flat, and the volume on one, and it got a beautiful sound out of my Borys Jazz Solid. Then the seller put it up to 4 and it was so loud that it was breaking up.
    Does anyone have any ideas about what generation Henriksen this is? I'll copy and paste this on the other Henriksen thread so others can see it.

User Info Menu

I picked up the Henriksen JazzAmp today for $250, and sure enough, it's got reverb on it. The reverb even has it's own on and off switch, so I don't think it's a first generation, but I'll list the layout of the amp here.
    It's only one channel, and doesn't have a mic jack on the top.
    It has a line out 1/4 inch jack on the top.
    It has five tone cone controls like a Graphic Equalizer, the first 3 labeled 10kHz, 3kHz, and 1kHz, and the other two labeled 300Hz and 100Hz
    The Power Switch is also on the top of the amp.

Other than warnings and company info, the back of the amp has a 1/4 inch jack for an extension speaker of 8 Ohms or more (which is great news, because I've got an RS-12 which would sound dynamite with this amp.
    The only other thing is has is a serial # which is 2006- **** , so maybe that means it was made in 2006?

Volume-wise, the seller put the EQ knobs on flat, and the volume on one, and it got a beautiful sound out of my Borys Jazz Solid. Then the seller put it up to 4 and it was so loud that it was breaking up.
    Does anyone have any ideas about what generation Henriksen this is? I'll copy and paste this on the other Henriksen thread so others can see it.
    Bump. Anyone have any info on this amp, wattage (not specified),etc..?