The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

Double jackpot, but not on the same day. About 4 months ago while surfing Reverb I discovered an unusual L7 C. Built between 1970-1972, it had an ebony board, bridge/saddle and a more ornate headstock, like an L5. Not planning on adding another L7 to the stable, I found this one hard to resist. Contacted the owner and got some history about the guitar. He bought from Joe at archtop.com, thinking he would venture into L5 territory but without the steep price. He put a Lollar JS on it and replaced wiring. I confirmed this by going into the archtop.com archives. Apparently, it was a special order and while it was not mint, had been taken care and played though not abused. There were several offers but in the end, I made room in the stable.

It's a wonderful, very playable guitar. It's light, resonant, great neck. Non original case, but period correct replacement. Sufficiently loud acoustically, nice warm plugged in. It has the versatility I have come to expect with the L7. Hope the pics do it justice.

For the past two years, have been thinking about replacing my Roland 80x with a lighter amp. Ironically, the Roland replaced a Peavy for the same reason many years before. And the Peavy replaced an Ampeg Gemini VI.

After reading reviews I decided to bite the bullet. I ordered the Bud 10. While I am still experimenting with it, thus far I am very impressed. The tone is crisp, clear, and pure. The 2 channels and the variety of settings offer lots of choices. I play archtops with both set and floating pickups and was surprised this amp could easily handle both. It is suffiently loud enough for the gigs I do. At 20 lbs, it is easy to lift and carry, although while it is possible to carry it over your shoulder, it's not recommended for older players like me. Thus far the only criticism is the location of the power switch. It took me a while to find it if you can believe it. It is not in an easy place to find if you're sitting down.

One of the things I like about it is it's adaptability. I have tried nylon string guitars, accoustic guitars as well as a variety of archtop with different floaters as well as a set HB. Its the only amp I have played in the last 10 years or so that has that flexibility.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ngd + nad-20220622_144221-jpgNgd + nad-20220622_144229-jpgNgd + nad-20220622_144129-jpgNgd + nad-20220622_144152-jpgNgd + nad-20220622_144439-jpgNgd + nad-20220622_144336-jpgNgd + nad-20220622_144410-jpg

User Info Menu

Wow! Your are indeed doubly fortunate! That L-7C is gorgeous! The 'burst is enviable. So sweet! And the amp is by all accounts a gem. Congratulations, and play 'em in good health!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FredH
    Ngd + nad-6c65379f-3c12-4796-a87d-2b07b11b7e48-jpeg
    Nice guitar—a real beauty!

Does it have a solid top?

User Info Menu

(cat.... I had one of those “where is waldo” moments... the guitar is cool also).

User Info Menu

Yes. Carved spruce top, maple back and sides

User Info Menu

If Gibson was smart they would make that exact guitar as a regular model. Beautiful !

User Info Menu

Agreed. But only a musical fossil like me and other similar species would buy it!
    Some one this forum described the L7 as having a simple, understated elegance. Couldnt agree more. I love my L5 and my GJS and both get played a lot. But it's the L7 that I turn to more often than not. There's something about it that speaks to my soul.

User Info Menu

Excellent guitar/amp day -- congrats!!

[So we have FredH and Just Fred each having NGDs today ... there must be some connection?!]

Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Excellent guitar/amp day -- congrats!! So we have FredH and Just Fred each having NGDs today ... there must be some connection?! Enjoy!
    Fred Gwynne is the common element, duh!
    Attached Images Attached Images Ngd + nad-munsters-will-success-spoil-herman-munster-jpg 

User Info Menu

Wow! That is a beautiful guitar Fred. The neck looks really nice. It looks like it was perfectly updated with the pickguard and pickup. The volume know is waaayyy far back on the pickguard which keeps it out of the way.
    You did great Fred. Great amp too. I’m happy for you!
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Awesome pair. And I like the rug, too. Have you tried a Bud 6 in the past? I'd be interested to know how they compare.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Awesome pair. And I like the rug, too. Have you tried a Bud 6 in the past? I'd be interested to know how they compare.
    [Goes back, checks out rug] That is nice. You are a man of finely developed tastes, Fred H. Thank you for bringing that to my (I need more coffee) attention, Woody Sound!

User Info Menu

The rug came from a big box store years ago. I actually picked it out, much to my wife's surprise. It matches my sunburst archtops.? I actually forgot the cat was there. She mysteriously appears and takes up residence because she can.

User Info Menu

May that rig inspire your playing for many years to come. A Gibson archtop with a Henriksen amp is, IMO, the perfect recipe for perfect jazz guitar tone.

User Info Menu

The rug came from a big box store years ago. I actually picked it out, much to my wife's surprise. It matches my sunburst archtops.? I actually forgot the cat was there. She mysteriously appears and takes up residence because she can.
    The exact date on which cats domesticated humans is lost in the mists of time. I for one, revere our ancient masters. May they always be there to fill our other-wise idle and directionless lives with duty and purpose.

User Info Menu

Agreed.

User Info Menu

Or thinking about it differently: "Dogs drool, but cats rule." Our cat is a Siamese, a one person cat who comes when I call her, but ignores everyone and everything else. Our golden retriever, on the other hand, is BFF with everyone she meets, especially if they have food. Both of my animal companions like music. When I practice, both are always present, comfortably reclining on the floor.

User Info Menu

Collingswood! My first “real” classical guitar teacher lived there, was a prof at Rowan. Ex North Beach LBI here (Exit 63)

beautiful L7 and enjoy!

User Info Menu

Congrats Fred!
    That's an unusual burst on the back of the headstock, can't recall seeing that before.

User Info Menu

A great guitar, and a great amp. Noice! Congrats!

User Info Menu

Was it Joe Mayes? He and his wife, Kathleen, are on the Rowan faculty. I have met him once or twice over the years. I have heard Kathleen perform many times and seriously considered studying with her many years ago. If they still live in Collingswood, I believe their home is a few blocks from mine.

User Info Menu

I thought about the Bud 6, but I wanted the larger speaker. While the 10 is a bit heavier than the 6, I opted for it anyway.

User Info Menu

I need to have the same "day"... but with an ES-125 and a Gibson GA-50.

User Info Menu

Or thinking about it differently: "Dogs drool, but cats rule." Our cat is a Siamese, a one person cat who comes when I call her, but ignores everyone and everything else. Our golden retriever, on the other hand, is BFF with everyone she meets, especially if they have food. Both of my animal companions like music. When I practice, both are always present, comfortably reclining on the floor.
    Many years ago we had a Burmese cat the kids named "Macaroon." One Christmas they gave me a wonderful reproduction of a statuette of the ancient Egyptian Cat Goddess, Bast. I kept it atop the Bose 802 that handled the high end left channel of my playback system. Macaroon, a deep velvety chocolate color, would come and sit beside the black coal-blackBast statue, duplicating the pose precisely, and sit there for long periods of time utterly motionless - save for the occasional quick eye swivel to the right to see if her companion had moved. It was fascinating! Her living companion was Casper, a snow-white feline whose coat shed everywhere, voluminously. I miss them both.