The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 35

User Info Menu

Almost a year and a half to the day, my custom-made Stephen Holst archtop reached my door. It was a nerve-wracking delivery, as UPS appeared to have "delayed" it somehow, but it arrived a day late and in perfect condition. That condition was due in part to Steve's awesome packing (he's as meticulous here as with everything else) and choice of case (Gator).

When I first contacted him in January 2021, we worked first on my likes, my style of playing, and what I wanted. What I wanted was the perfect guitar -- for me! I'm a small-boned guy, and have found that smaller guitars fit me best. Some of my favorites are my 1957 Gibson ES-225t, my Ibanez AG95QA, and my Taylor GS Mini-e Koa. More often than not, I practice unplugged, so I wanted a guitar that would work both acoustically as well as electrically.

We measured, compared, and Steve got out me stuff about myself I didn't even know, or had considered (binding? inlays? jack location?). He left no stone unturned. When going through the specifics, he would offer observations on wood type, body style, pickup type, and so on. Right up to the end he was fine-tuning the instrument (no pun intended). He suggested adding a sound port, and we spoke of that in an email exchange. As usual, he was right, and my new Holst archtop has a small (less than the size of a quarter) on the upper bout.

After letting it sit in the shipping carton overnight, I unpacked it this morning, tuned it up and -- my dream guitar realized! I may now be cured of GAS.

Oh, when I first contacted Steve, he had three guitars on order. Eighteen months later, he has 14 orders. If you're interested in procuring one yourself, be prepared to wait. But oh, man, is it worth it!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

uuhh, oohh.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Just Fred
    I may now be cured of GAS.
    Famous last words - but it’s just a period of remission! Get back to us about that later

What a cool and beautiful guitar - love and enjoy it!!

User Info Menu

Exquisite! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Gorgeous guitar! I'm sure I'm speaking for the whole forum that we'd love to see some more pictures. The grain on the sides looks incredible.

What specs did you end up going with in the end?

User Info Menu

Beautiful guitar!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JSanta
    Gorgeous guitar! I'm sure I'm speaking for the whole forum that we'd love to see some more pictures. The grain on the sides looks incredible.

What specs did you end up going with in the end?
    I've asked Steve to send me the completed build sheet, so I can have all the specs on hand, so maybe today I'll be better able to answer that. I also haven't really been able to take proper photos of it, because every time I pick it up I wind up playing it!

Here's a photo of it with my Taylor Builder's Edition 652ce 12-string, which is their Grand Concert size in a 12-fret, and my Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, which is a touch smaller than the Grand Concert.

Some details

User Info Menu

The striking inlays & Jescar gold frets make it pop!-Not to forget the binding & sides! A hearty congratulations to you!
    Stephen's ernest 5-6 month TAT build estimates were wildly optimistic in the case of both of the guitars he built for me, but neither could he predict covid, or injuring his arm! I never pressured him, though I did feel I was waiting for Godot!
    His laminate plates are superb, and he got ahold of some nice spruce for my 17" carved top! He's flying above the radar now, and deservedly so!

User Info Menu

The specifications on the build sheet for the guitar would be quite interesting to see, specifically, lower bout width, body length, and scale length. How does it balance without a strap?
    Last edited by Hammertone; 06-22-2022 at 02:32 PM.

User Info Menu

Congrats on your dream guitar. May your GAS indeed be over and may this guitar inspire your playing for many years to come!

User Info Menu

Absolutely beautiful!

User Info Menu

Is the back a single piece of maple? I don't see the typical book matched pieces.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by charleyrich99
    Is the back a single piece of maple? I don't see the typical book matched pieces.
    Yes.

User Info Menu

My most important question is how does it sound?

A recording of it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by charleyrich99
    My most important question is how does it sound?

A recording of it?
    To me, it sounds great! The sound port makes playing it acoustically near perfect. I haven't yet plugged it in (that comes next).

I'm woefully awful at recording myself. But I've had a request or two, so maybe I can come up with something.

User Info Menu

Holst Guitars!!
    Awesome!!
    Enjoy!!

User Info Menu

That is one sweet creation, Fred. It's getting me fired up for the smaller bodied build I've been slowing brewing. Really curious about the full specs on that beast! Where are you located in VA?

User Info Menu

@Fred,
    First -- congrats on your new instrument -- it's gorgeous!

Second: what do you mean you "haven't plugged it in?!?!?"

Steve absolutely does wonderful work, and is incredibly meticulous with his details (about the specs, and the build)! So did you go with the Bare Knuckle pickup?

I'm not a fan of big fretboard inlays, but when I saw the close-up pics of yours -- wow, so cool!!

Enjoy the guitar, and let us know how it evolves!

Marc

User Info Menu

thanks for the additional pics, it is a piece of art.

that will cure your GAS of course, as there is hardly anything out there, that will match this package of size and beauty for you.

between the Inlays and the flamed sides, this one is just perfect.

two thumps up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    The specifications on the build sheet for the guitar would be quite interesting to see, specifically, lower bout width, body length, and scale length. How does it balance without a strap?
    Some specs: Lower bout width = 14.5", Scale = 24", Body Length = 18", Overall Length = 37.75", Body depth = 2.75", Nut width = 1 11/16", Width at 14th fret = 2 1/8", Neck wood = Mahogany, Fretboard = Black Ebony, Inlays = "Modern Art", Pickup = Bare Knuckles PAF

And yes, I've now plugged it in! I'm still dialing in the tone on my amp, but the pickup delightfully captures every slide, hammer-on, pull-off and nuance.

Like I said, I'm keeping it!

User Info Menu

if it sounds like it looks ...wow, many years of joy playing this beauty are coming to you !

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I love it!

User Info Menu

Fred,
    Your new guitar looks beautiful. The attention to detail make the guitar really seem special. I am happy for you. I am so impressed with how Holst can make anything you want. And he tackles endless designs with an extraordinary level of detail. He is not building the same guitar over and over. Nonetheless, every (different) creation I've seen looks so perfectly executed. He is a tremendously talented builder.
    I'll probably never know what its like to get a guitar made to my specific specs. I wouldnt even know where to start! If I ever did, it would probably deliver to me looking exactly like a Gibson Johnny Smith..
    I have a question about the sound hole. Is it what you hoped it would be? Can you elaborate on it a bit more? The only guitar I've played that was remotely close was a Ribbecke Halfling that had the sound hole in the upper bout, bass side. To me, the position of the sound hole was definitely advantageous for the player. I felt it made a real nice difference.

I hope you love your beautiful guitar for the rest of your years.

JD

User Info Menu

What a beautiful guitar! Congratulations on your selection of a luthier as well as the final product. Like the rest of us, I hope to hear some clips of it someday so we can find out how it sounds.

But… a cure for GAS? Bwah ha ha ha ha ha! Mine is an evil laugh.

I am partly joking. Partly.