The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    The specifications on the build sheet for the guitar would be quite interesting to see, specifically, lower bout width, body length, and scale length. How does it balance without a strap?
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Fred
    Some specs: Lower bout width = 14.5", Scale = 24", Body Length = 18", Overall Length = 37.75", Body depth = 2.75", Nut width = 1 11/16", Width at 14th fret = 2 1/8", Neck wood = Mahogany, Fretboard = Black Ebony, Inlays = "Modern Art", Pickup = Bare Knuckles PAF...
    Thanks, that's quite interesting.
    How does it balance without a strap? It looks like it might be neck heavy, in which case plastic tuner buttons would help. On guitars with lightweight bodies, I typically replace those Gotoh metal tuner buttons (which weigh a ton) with Gotoh plastic or wooden buttons.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    I have a question about the sound hole. Is it what you hoped it would be? Can you elaborate on it a bit more? The only guitar I've played that was remotely close was a Ribbecke Halfling that had the sound hole in the upper bout, bass side. To me, the position of the sound hole was definitely advantageous for the player. I felt it made a real nice difference.

I hope you love your beautiful guitar for the rest of your years.

JD
    Thanks, JD.

You know, it's funny how the sound port came about. Steve emailed me and told me he was getting ready to ship it. Then, in a subsequent email, he called it a "fun little guitar," and said he "played it a little this morning to double check the electronics and she sounded so sweet through my stereo rig with some lush reverb. Yummy." At the last moment, he appended, "I think if it were mine I'd put a small sound port on the upper bout shoulder to point some of its sound back at the player. It projects a lot!" He also said, "Honestly I think every acoustic instrument would benefit with a sound port."

So, after a short email exchange I said he'd not led me astray yet, so go for it! "They make the sound that you hear as a player more full and rich. Archtops project a lot so the sound out front is pretty different from the sound the player hears." He concluded by saying, "You can test it at home by having someone cover the hole while you're playing and then uncover it. It's a pretty obvious difference."

Thus, I now have a sound port. It's so unobtrusive that I don't notice it. I haven't tried the test he suggested, but I trust him.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    How does it balance without a strap? It looks like it might be neck heavy, in which case plastic tuner buttons would help. On guitars with lightweight bodies, I typically replace those Gotoh metal tuner buttons (which weigh a ton) with Gotoh plastic or wooden buttons.
    It's a very light guitar (3 lbs., 5.6 oz., according to my scale). It's slightly neck-heavy, but I can balance it with one hand on the back near the neck joint and there isn't any neck dive. Besides, I play seated, and it's just as comfortable as it can be!

User Info Menu

[Wow -- "3 lbs?!" That's crazy light!]

So one of the "a-ha" moments I had with Steve (and his incredibly thorough spec sheet) was when we were going over the neck measurements: of course, we covered the standard nut width, scale length, radius, etc., and then he asked about the "width at the 14th fret." Hmm, I've had a good handful of custom guitars, and no one had asked that before. I've had the subjective experience of liking or not-liking certain necks, and one of my critiques on some was about the neck (fretboard) width throughout the guitar. I've sold some excellent guitars because the "neck felt funny," even though the nut widths were my preferred 1 3/4" (and I'm not talking about "chunky/slim" neck shapes, either). Well, I measured my favorite neck (at the 14th fret), and gave the number to Steve; he said that was different from his standard, but "no problem." When I first received the guitar and played, it fit like an old glove -- all the way past the 14th fret! Probably not a big deal, but again, no other luthier has discussed that measurement, and that little "feel" has been "make or break" with other instruments.

Just another satisfied Holst customer!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy

Is there any other kind?

User Info Menu

Congratulations! That's a beauty! Enjoy the journey with your new guitar and make some music. It looks like it will enjoy being played!

S

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    [Wow -- "3 lbs?!" That's crazy light!]

So one of the "a-ha" moments I had with Steve (and his incredibly thorough spec sheet) was when we were going over the neck measurements: of course, we covered the standard nut width, scale length, radius, etc., and then he asked about the "width at the 14th fret." Hmm, I've had a good handful of custom guitars, and no one had asked that before. I've had the subjective experience of liking or not-liking certain necks, and one of my critiques on some was about the neck (fretboard) width throughout the guitar. I've sold some excellent guitars because the "neck felt funny," even though the nut widths were my preferred 1 3/4" (and I'm not talking about "chunky/slim" neck shapes, either). Well, I measured my favorite neck (at the 14th fret), and gave the number to Steve; he said that was different from his standard, but "no problem." When I first received the guitar and played, it fit like an old glove -- all the way past the 14th fret! Probably not a big deal, but again, no other luthier has discussed that measurement, and that little "feel" has been "make or break" with other instruments.

I'd be curious to know what those measurements were.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluejaybill
    I'd be curious to know what those measurements were.
    Sure! He liked 2 1/4" and I liked 2 1/8".

User Info Menu

congratulations on your new guitar

Holst makes a great guitar I had him custom build me a 17 inch hand carved arch top couple years ago it took about 14 months for him to complete it but it was well worth the wait

enjoy it in good health

I am BigMike and I approve this message

User Info Menu

Gorgeous guitar. Enjoy it in good health.