The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

NAMM 2022. Just plain fun:
    Attached Images Attached Images A different kind of steel guitar-verso_1568-jpg 

User Info Menu

wow.

User Info Menu

Somebody's been inspired by CBGs, number plate guitars, shovel guitars etc...

User Info Menu

no, definitely no, I don't like this type of instrument. To be honest I think it's ugly.

(sounds good, but no.... but that's me)

User Info Menu

Verso Instruments Germany, they got a bass and a baritone as well.

COSMO - E-Gitarre mit Blechkorpus - Verso Musical instruments

is this the first guitar ever with this pick-up design ?

isn't that an über great idea ?

Beautiful and ugly are in the eye of the beholders. However, I believe that it would not be ergonomic without a strap to play this design for long times. It would definitely require a lap rest of some sort.

User Info Menu

the tin is folded 90° right where the right leg is at ... should be a very comfortable guitar.

without the 8 months waiting list and for a little less money, I'd like to give it a go.

User Info Menu

I don't feel inspired enough to research further. Is it really made of steel? Steel tends to be... heavy. I don't like heavy guitars.

User Info Menu

I don't think I'd want one, but I'd definitely like to *try* one.

User Info Menu

Now is the time to start a rumour that aluminium has better tone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    The same "body" in aluminium could/should be "dead"; aluminium isn't (ferro)magnetic(ally active) so will not cause the same interesting interactions with the PU the sheet of steel does.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    The same "body" in aluminium could/should be "dead"; aluminium isn't (ferro)magnetic(ally active) so will not cause the same interesting interactions with the PU the sheet of steel does.
    Am I dating my aging self if I bring up Travis Bean?

Travis Bean TB1000A Natural 1976 | Reverb

User Info Menu

Why? What's the relevance to my argument? That guitar has a koa body...

Am I giving things about away my cultural awareness if I ask if chili calls for beans?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Everyone knows that a aluminum stop bar sounds best on a les paul

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    Why? What's the relevance to my argument? That guitar has a koa body...

Am I giving things about away my cultural awareness if I ask if chili calls for beans?
    If you look closely, the neck seems to be made of metal.

User Info Menu

Yes, I noticed that, and there are a few other parts that look like they're probably aluminium. But I thought we were discussing how bodies made of different metals affect the sound through their effect on the magnetic field. If the body is ferromagnetic, its vibrations should be picked up by the pickup.

(Heck, you might even get something closer to an acoustic guitar when you put a PU on a resonant metal body instrument strung with non-magnetic strings ... surely someone must have made something like that?)

User Info Menu

There are metal resonator guitars with pickups. But nylon strings aren't likely going to be able to impart much vibration into a metal body. And the pickup would have to be suspended in order to pick up any body vibrations. It it's attached to the top, and moves with it, no voltage would be induced. IMO it's just not worth the trouble. A piezo would work, but works as well if not better on wood, and the sound is not really ideal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    There are metal resonator guitars with pickups. But nylon strings aren't likely going to be able to impart much vibration into a metal body.
    A resonator guitar body has a completely different function than the body of an acoustic; it's supposed to act like a loudspeaker cabinet. And AFAIK that means as little vibration as possible. My wood-body resonator achieves that pretty well, I don't know about metal-body ones - but the PUs are generally surface-mounted on those.

Everybody told me that my resonator wouldn't sound with nylon strings, but it does - it's at least as loud as my Loar.

I get the argument about how a floating PU would be required and it's undoubtedly true if you want a full-range frequency response. But if you watch the demonstrations of Justin Johnson's shovel guitar it seems that body (erm, blade) vibrations are picked up quite well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I don't think I'd want one, but I'd definitely like to *try* one.
    If you got one you'd have to change your tag to "Steely Sound".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Am I dating my aging self if I bring up Travis Bean?

Travis Bean TB1000A Natural 1976 | Reverb
    I remember them well- and not fondly! IIRC the necks were subject to change-of-temperature anomalies.

Hey- and it's only the price of a decent L5!