The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

This is sort of off topic but a while back folks were saying to always use American Express for purchasing guitars because if you get ripped off they will stand behind you. Well, here's an obvious case (not guitar related) where they don't. It's made me re-think whether I want to use american express behind my paypal for future guitar purchases though...

About 2 months ago, we mysteriously started getting people magazine delivered to us. Neither of us subscribed to it and neither of us read it. Last week, i got a $32 charge on my AMX for the subscription. I went to the people magazine website to cancel and because I have no subscription number I was forced to call them. The number listed on the site is not for people magazine and they can't service subscription issues using that number. So I called AMX to dispute the charge. I just received notification today that the dispute was denied.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That's interesting. I've never had an AMX card, but I have had plenty of Visa/MC of various banks... never had a problem disputing a charge... it was always very easy- if they didn't reverse the charges immediately, they took very little time to investigate and then remove.

I was always under the impression AMX was the "best" credit card to have...

User Info Menu

Do you subscribe to anything else from the same publisher? Somehow your address and card details came into their possession.

I'm not surprised the dispute was denied TBH...

User Info Menu

I've had an AmEx card since 1978 and never had a problem with any disputed charge. What reason did they give you for denial? Something's wrong with the soup in Boston! This is highly unusual.
    Marinero

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    I've had an AmEx card since 1978 and never had a problem with any disputed charge. What reason did they give you for denial? Something's wrong with the soup in Boston! This is highly unusual.
    Marinero
    They didn't give a reason. They sent me a message saying the dispute was denied and the charge was going back on my account.

User Info Menu

Last year Amex sent me a promotional 0% interest offer on all purchases until July 2022. They sent me a notice in April stating that the promotion would be over in May. Amex probably reserved the right to end the promotion early, somewhere in the small print.

User Info Menu

Jack: I would try to "yell" louder with AmEx, if you can and/or it's worth your time. I recently received notice from AmEx of a $36 charge to Amazon, which I had not made. Amazon did not want to know anything about it as it was not ordered from my account. I called AmEx, disputed the charge and (a) had a new card issued and received two days later and (b) the charge went away. A primary reason I went back to AmEx, after a delay (in addition to doing some international travel again) was because of their fraud protection. Perfect? None of them are. But better than some other cards, as far as my experience. And I can only note the coincidence that I had two Uber rides in the two days prior to the fraud order, and I had not taken an Uber in a long time. Both Uber and Amazon are tied to my AmEx card.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    Do you subscribe to anything else from the same publisher? Somehow your address and card details came into their possession.

I'm not surprised the dispute was denied TBH...
    They do some weird bundle deals.

I wanted to get a magazine for my daughters but it was cheaper (FOR THE FIRST YEAR) to get it as a bundle with others.

The subscription account number may be in the address label.

I’m a happy Amex “member” but this doesn’t sound great. I would definitely try again.

User Info Menu

Not surprised Jack. My first amex card was 76, went platinum in mid 80’s. I had no end of issues especially with their in house travel services. Even back then deals on no interest that were suddenly cancelled. Finally told them thanks but no thanks. Went to Bank of America and never looked back. Their fraud protection is amazing. YMMV but Id dump them.

User Info Menu

Not sure if this is related, but there is an email scam that's called subscription 'bombing'.
    The target/ subject gets numerous (as in hundreds or thousands) email subscriptions instantaneously, with one buried in their midst that is a serious cyberattack that the criminals hope you trigger. All they need is your email address to start the attack.
    LOL!

User Info Menu

I`ll take a wild guess that it could have gone differently if you had tried to track down and cancel when the first issue arrived. Not reacting could be seen as an implied accept of an agreement, or at least make it harder to claim than none existed

User Info Menu

There should be a sub/acct# on the label. I would contact your State AG's office.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    There should be a sub/acct# on the label. I would contact your State AG's office.
    Not asking for a solution here. Just pointing out that AMX doesn't always have your back...

User Info Menu

With all due respect, those who accept to pay AMX for their services as a payment processor also expect them to have their backs, so I think it's perfectly normal that reversal/dispute requests are not granted without a proper assessment of whether the request is a last resort after all other serious attempts failed (and even then the amount at play probably comes into play).

Not that I don't understand what appears to have been your way of handling this ... if I were to receive a journal I never subscribed to I might also not take action until the 2nd or 3rd issue dropped in my mailbox. And by then I would indeed not be surprised if the editor told me I "consumed" the issues received and required me to pay for those.

User Info Menu

I'm wondering how they got your AMX account info.

User Info Menu

We have AMX but literally never use it. We always use Discover when we're in the US, and whatever is cheapest to use when we're in Ireland. If I argued a charge with a credit card company and they denied me, I'd never use that card again. YMMV

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I'm wondering how they got your AMX account info.
    I got hold of people magazine's tech support today and they said that my subscription to Health Magazine got converted to people magazine when Health Mag went out of business. She refunded my money starting with the first issue of people magazine that they sent and also canceled the recent auto rebill. She also said I had an active subscription to entertainment weekly (which I also never ordered). She canceled and refunded that but said I could keep the Jonas Brothers issue for free.

But...It has shaken my confidence in AMX...

User Info Menu

I don't really know why we are discussing this in the Gizmo forum, and I am not a big fan of Amex, but I will tell a little story.

My wife and I were in Athens and someone stole her wallet. It had all of our credit cards in it except my ATM card.

We called Chase to get a new card sent. Nope. IIRC, Capital One as well. Nope.

Amex sent a new card in two days and delivered it to a really remote island off of Greece.

So I keep an Amex card and rarely use it, just keep it for the odd emergency.

And I don't expect much in the way of customer service from them or any other card.