The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 50 of 50

User Info Menu

Another vote for the Fender Mustang Micro here. For the size and price it's remarkably feature rich and really sounds quite good.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I still use my old Zoom PS-02, long out of production, but great sound and versatility, if you can find one on eBay.

In the meantime, haven’t tried this, but noticed it a few months back. Looks promising, same small format, but haven’t looked at all the features…

BOSS - Pocket GT | Guitar Effects Processor

User Info Menu

For silent practice, I use a Mooer Hornet 15 watt amp, you can stream your phone into the amp and plug in a headset which makes it silent. It has a decent sounding JC and fender amp in it as well with a few effects. This would obviously double as a small practice amp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by einarcc
    Another vote for the Fender Mustang Micro here. For the size and price it's remarkably feature rich and really sounds quite good.
    Bluetooth input from any device! really plug and play....

Ray

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ukena
    What about the Fender Mustang Micro? It uses bluetooth for audio in, rather than a jack, but it works very well and won't break the bank. It has good modeling capabilities, and I am very happy with the sound I get out of it:

https://www.fender.com/en-US/guitar-...311300000.html
    I just picked up one of these Mustang Micros. It's pretty sweet. Does most of what I want for a great price. Small, portable. All good. Thanks for the tip, Ukena!

User Info Menu

No Aux, just headphone- the Blackstar amPlug2Fly.

Amazing clean and sweetspot tone, great authentic reverb. Fantastic tone via Headphone (rare enough), analogue, cheap.
    I play this thing since 8 months or so for practice. It‘s simple and really great.

User Info Menu

I have a Topping headphone amp that I like a lot. Only one input, but a cheap Y headphone splitter will give you two inputs.

Topping NX1s Portable Headphone Amplifier

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesR
    im surprised an iRig hasn’t been mentioned more in this thread. I am trying to decide between the iRig HD2 and the new NUX Mighty Plug Pro. Are you happy with the jazz sound through your iRig 2 and do you use the AmpliTube app?

cheers,
    mtodd

User Info Menu

What about the Fender Mustang Micro? It uses bluetooth for audio in, rather than a jack, but it works very well and won't break the bank. It has good modeling capabilities, and I am very happy with the sound I get out of it:

https://www.fender.com/en-US/guitar-...311300000.html
    I just bought one this morning and so far I love it. $110 CDN (about $80 US) used.

User Info Menu

NUX Mighty Plug (Pro) is pretty nifty, can connect to your device by bluetooth for backing tracks and has a pretty comprehensive set of amps, effects, speaker simulations, drum tracks etc all accessible from your device of choice (mobile phone, iPad, computer)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    This is great, rechargeable lithium battery, doubles as preamp, excellent sound quality:

Attachment 92244
    Hi pcjazz do you still use your PJB Big Head? I need a headphone amp for travel and having a decent interface would help for zoom lessons too. I’m very keen to get the newer PJB Big Head Pro but there is limited discussion about this unit. The price probably doesn’t help. The Fender Mustang Micro seems to get a lot more love but there is something about the Fender I’m just not sure about.

cheers,
    mtodd

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mtodd
    Hi pcjazz do you still use your PJB Big Head? I need a headphone amp for travel and having a decent interface would help for zoom lessons too. I’m very keen to get the newer PJB Big Head Pro but there is limited discussion about this unit. The price probably doesn’t help. The Fender Mustang Micro seems to get a lot more love but there is something about the Fender I’m just not sure about.

cheers,
    mtodd
    To a great extent, whether a Mustang Micro will fit your needs or you need a real headphone amplifier will depend on your headphones. The PJB is a genuine headphone amplifier – it puts out more power than the Mustang Micro, and will drive headphones that need that extra boost. For example, the iPhone will not put out enough power to drive a really good set of headphones adequately. Maybe a better way to say it is that an actual headphone amp will make a good pair of headphones sound better – more headroom, for example, and better fidelity at lower volumes.

I have been using the Micro with a really good pair of Shure reference cans. I need to turn the volume up on the Micro and on my guitar to get adequate listening volume, but the trade-off is that the modeling of the Micro is very pleasant. With the PJB, you won't be able to change the sound of your guitar direct to your headphones. But you may enjoy the sound of your guitar with no amp coloring.

User Info Menu

To a great extent, whether a Mustang Micro will fit your needs or you need a real headphone amplifier will depend on your headphones. The PJB is a genuine headphone amplifier – it puts out more power than the Mustang Micro, and will drive headphones that need that extra boost. For example, the iPhone will not put out enough power to drive a really good set of headphones adequately. Maybe a better way to say it is that an actual headphone amp will make a good pair of headphones sound better – more headroom, for example, and better fidelity at lower volumes.

I have been using the Micro with a really good pair of Shure reference cans. I need to turn the volume up on the Micro and on my guitar to get adequate listening volume, but the trade-off is that the modeling of the Micro is very pleasant. With the PJB, you won't be able to change the sound of your guitar direct to your headphones. But you may enjoy the sound of your guitar with no amp coloring.
    thank you for the clarification Ukena. I’m probably more inclined to lean more towards some open back Sennheiser or Hifiman headphones so I guess the PJB may suit me a bit better. I guess this may put more emphasis on my pickups and playing technique though. Could be good and not so good

cheers
    mtodd

User Info Menu

With the PJB, you won't be able to change the sound of your guitar direct to your headphones. But you may enjoy the sound of your guitar with no amp coloring.
    You can always put effects between the guitar and the headphone amp. I don't bother.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mtodd

cheers,
    mtodd
    I always take the Big Head when I'm travelling* because it is so small, light and reliable, but at home for nearly silent practice I more often use the Boss WazaAir, not so much for its simulations but because it is wireless and lets me move around freely.

(*Unless I'm taking the Yamaha Silent Guitar with its built-in headphone amp.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    I always take the Big Head when I'm travelling* because it is so small, light and reliable, but at home for nearly silent practice I more often use the Boss WazaAir, not so much for its simulations but because it is wireless and lets me move around freely.

(*Unless I'm taking the Yamaha Silent Guitar with its built-in headphone amp.)
    thank you pcjazz. A good suggestion about adding an effects device if needed although it’s encouraging to know that you don’t bother.

cheers,
    mtodd

User Info Menu

To a great extent, whether a Mustang Micro will fit your needs

I have been using the Micro with a really good pair of Shure reference cans.
    Been using the micro for the last year, got rid of pretty much my other headphone amps, I do use Shure ref or beyer dt770 studio 250 ohms (both are closed ear). Would defeat the purpose to use open cans at home or ,(my new thing ) trying new guitars at the guitar stores :-).....I don't use amp emulations just the clean studio pre amp preset, some verb that's it! it's plenty loud enough for all my guitars even the archtop with Jimmy Smith floater..... The usb direct out to computer for recording sounds super clean too. It's wireless (holds charge for 4 hrs ) plug it in comp to recharge and it's also bluetooth , stream away with your own tracks or youtubes or whatever..... I love it...And yes you can add external fx pedals to the Micro too ..
    with external pedals

S
    Last edited by SOLR; 10-16-2022 at 06:36 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    NUX Mighty Plug (Pro) is pretty nifty, can connect to your device by bluetooth for backing tracks and has a pretty comprehensive set of amps, effects, speaker simulations, drum tracks etc all accessible from your device of choice (mobile phone, iPad, computer)
    MB, leave it up to you buddy.. the methuselah of sound! I checked this one out and this one actually has a 48khz/32bit sampling rate which is plenty for high quality recording.
    Man the tech is off the charts these days with high quality low cost gear. Great time to be a musician.
    Thanks!
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Is it New X or Nucks?

User Info Menu

It is the "NUX Mighty Plug Pro"
    JD

User Info Menu

nothing's better than the helix stomp IMO and you can find them used in the $350 range.

User Info Menu

Have not tried that but it seems to do what you want and some more: Palmer POCKET AMP MK 2 | Guitar Effects | Palmer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    It is the "NUX Mighty Plug Pro"
    JD
    How do you pronounce NUX?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TedBPhx
    How do you pronounce NUX?
    don't know but their products are notoriously buggy and poorly supported.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guavajelly
    Have not tried that but it seems to do what you want and some more: Palmer POCKET AMP MK 2 | Guitar Effects | Palmer
    i love mine