The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 36 of 36

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    I took the 11 flats off the GJSA and put on a set of 12 half wounds and the guitar totally changed.
    My main observation is that playing it with fingers doesn't do the guitar justice. When you use a pick, the guitar leaps into life.
    I would put it firmly in the acoustic Archtop bracket. It has the bark and bite of a traditional parallel braced pre 60's Archtop but can also become very mellow and responsive if played closer to the neck.
    Put the pick down and it struggles to produce much volume and you are left feeling like it wants to give you more.

It is an exceptionally beautiful Archtop. The shape and carve is beyond what you'll get at Gibson (unless you buy a Citation but even then, I've not seen that level of recurve). Bob clearly took time to making sure the tops and backs perform the way he would demand, of his own guitars. It's a different class of guitar but that doesn't mean it's better and I can tell it is divisive, because it divided opinion in myself.

I wouldn't call it modern but with half wounds, it does sound like a flat top in Archtop form so in this regard, you might be well pleased.

Imo with a few changes the guitar could be a 10 all day. Right now it's a confusing but promising 7

I'll post some sound clips.

It is very interesting how much variation in opinion there is on this topic. I typically play with round-wound 11-48 pure nickel Addario strings on all my guitars (except the flat top ones) which might open up Guild BAA still more.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It sounds really nice and looks fantastic for sure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Bare in mind that was recoded on an iPhone.

I'll get my studio gear out and do and proper recording. I think we'll all be stunned then.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by charleyrich99
    It is very interesting how much variation in opinion there is on this topic. I typically play with round-wound 11-48 pure nickel Addario strings on all my guitars (except the flat top ones) which might open up Guild BAA still more.
    Actually I find this Archtop to go the other way. Perhaps the aded scale length means the top is under more pressure and therefore needs to be driven harder?
    As I said when I took off the 11's and put on the 12's the dynamics in sound jumped up. With 13's on this thing could be quite intense.
    Worth giving it a go, even though I don't play 13's anymore.

User Info Menu

Wow! The sound of that guitar unplugged was terrific! Did you remove the pickup and pickguard or were they not on when you purchased it?

As this has been a long thread, I wasn't sure which year Guild BB JSAA you had. I am wondering how comparable this is to the one currently on Reverb.

Stunning 2000 Guild/Benedetto Artist Award Signature Model | Reverb

There is a video, but the guitar acoustic at the end of the video doesn't sound anything like yours.

User Info Menu

Wow! The sound of that guitar unplugged was terrific! Did you remove the pickup and pickguard or were they not on when you purchased it?

As this has been a long thread, I wasn't sure which year Guild BB JSAA you had. I am wondering how comparable this is to the one currently on Reverb.

There is a video, but the guitar acoustic at the end of the video doesn't sound anything like yours.
    Mines a 2004 I think. Might be 2006. Certainly a later model and made in a different factory.
    I took the pick guard and scratch plate off as I'm cleaning and polishing. I also think the guitar looks much more attractive without them. It needs a De'Armnond RC on there to look right.
    I've never liked the look of these black floating armstrong style pickups.
    I'll have a listen to the video you mention.

User Info Menu

Yeh the guy in the video isn't really playing the guitar, more jabbing it with a finger lol Clearly a classic guitar player.
    The strings are also probably 11's.

If you have a pick and a set of 12's the guitar really kicks in. Anything before that and I found it a little lacking but I've only had mine for a day or two so my impression are initial.
    It's a really interesting guitar but that translates to 'buyer beware'. If you want a safe bet buy something else. If you want to take a gamble, you'll certainly be stunned by how beautiful it is and it's acoustic property, if you play it the right way.

If the price is right do it. A Benedetto Guild will only go up in value. I appreciate String Swinger doesn't think the Benedetto connection will make it out perform in value but Bob was heavily involved in these, they bare his name. For 4-5k I think that's a good investment. On the other hand you don't want an investment and you don't want to have to hang on to something for that sake alone.

User Info Menu

Thanks. I play 13's on an OM guitar so heavier strings aren't a problem. But I do play hybrid Pick and fingers. So a lot to think about.
    The one on Reverb is going for $7,500 which appears to be too much for this guitar.

User Info Menu

Thanks. I play 13's on an OM guitar so heavier strings aren't a problem. But I do play hybrid Pick and fingers. So a lot to think about.
    Yes the string tension makes finger playing hard work. I wouldn't use this guitar for Bossa playing for example.

Of course this is all my opinion and I might have salad fingers.

Guild Benedetto AA vs GBJS?-post-51438-1101259300-3454704977-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Oh my God it sure does!
    Archie, that’s a really beautiful guitar. And the playing was really too.
    I’ve always wanted one of those. I almost bought one many years ago from our esteemed 2B.
    And I played Patrick’s Artist Award. I thought that was his best guitar. No exaggeration. I told him that too. He said, yeah I think you are right.
    You have some real beauties right there.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    I took the 11 flats off the GJSA and put on a set of 12 half wounds and the guitar totally changed.
    My main observation is that playing it with fingers doesn't do the guitar justice. When you use a pick, the guitar leaps into life.
    I would put it firmly in the acoustic Archtop bracket. It has the bark and bite of a traditional parallel braced pre 60's Archtop but can also become very mellow and responsive if played closer to the neck.
    Put the pick down and it struggles to produce much volume and you are left feeling like it wants to give you more.

It is an exceptionally beautiful Archtop. The shape and carve is beyond what you'll get at Gibson (unless you buy a Citation but even then, I've not seen that level of recurve). Bob clearly took time to make sure the tops and backs were designed to his specifications.
    I think Bob's would be more refined however.
    It's a different class of guitar but that doesn't mean it's better and I can tell it is divisive, because it divided opinion in myself.

I wouldn't call it modern but with half wounds, it does sound like a flat top in Archtop form so in this regard, you might be well pleased.

Imo with a few changes the guitar could be a 9 all day. Right now it's a slightly confusing but promising 7.
    I give it an acoustic ratting of 8.5 which is very high.
    Bare in mind I see 9 - 10 as being given to the greatest handful of Archtops ever made.

You'll have to excuse me, I've only played about 10 hours worth of guitar in the last 5 years so pretty out of shape.

Definitely one of the most beautiful guitars. Mine was a signed GBJSA. I enjoyed playing 0.13 TI Bebop rounds on it. Truly a one of a kind too! But the heavy lacquer was crap. I believe Mikey’s blonde version, that’s a refinish, is the 2nd nicest. The finest was Patrick’s, which due to it’s Opulent Brown finish was really rare!

Guild Benedetto AA vs GBJS?-03a31106-a457-4f16-8385-c5d3a52407ad-jpeg
    Guild Benedetto AA vs GBJS?-420b7e41-a297-4e1e-87f1-80517e5319f5-jpeg