The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 32

User Info Menu

Does anyone here use this stuff for anything? They say it works on metal, plastic, leather, rubber, wood, electronics, almost anything.

Ballistol - The Original CLP - Cleans, Lubricates, Preserves

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yes. I use it for cleaning, lubricating and for conservation. Mainly not for guitars, but for a lot of other stuff. Because it does not dry out and gum.
    For guitar, it is the best for lubricating the thumb wheel for adjusting the bridge height. It is usually a hard work turning the wheel upwards against the string tension. A small drop of Ballistol on the contact area of wheel and bridge will make it more easy. Also for wooden bridge.

User Info Menu

Just how is this different from WD40? Doesn't dry out, does that mean there's silicon oil in it?

User Info Menu

it is advisable to release some string tension, before adjusting the bridge upwards.

really.

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    Just how is this different from WD40? Doesn't dry out, does that mean there's silicon oil in it?
    I don't know, but I found this:

Quote Originally Posted by Filmosound 621
    it is advisable to release some string tension, before adjusting the bridge upwards.

really.

F621, what is your avatar, I can't quite tell. Just curious.

User Info Menu

I use it for all kinds of things, but not yet on guitars. My volume pot is a bit scratchy, might try it out on it.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Just how is this different from WD40?
    WD40 is not a lubricant - it’s a rust prevention compound. The WD stands for “water displacement” and it was created for use by the aerospace industry as a rust preventing solvent and degreaser. I suspect that it’s not the greatest thing to put on wood, since wood needs atmospheric moisture and WD40 blocks it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    My volume pot is a bit scratchy, might try it out on it.
    I'd use contact spray for that. Or indeed WD40 as it does just nicely for dissolving and driving off dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    WD40 is not a lubricant - it’s a rust prevention compound. The WD stands for “water displacement” and it was created for use by the aerospace industry as a rust preventing solvent and degreaser.
    Maybe so, but it works just fine as a lubricant too. Are you certain it was designed as a degreaser, or as a grease dissolvent? AFAICT it helps get rid of old, caked grease but at least part of that action comes from being greasy itselve (grease dissolves in grease). It doesn't degrease completely but leaves a clean, thin oily layer (which if I understand correctly can dry and cake itself).

I use it for all kinds of things, but not yet on guitars. My volume pot is a bit scratchy, might try it out on it.
    Hey I think it comes from Germany.

But, I use DeoxIT D5 for pots and switches. It's specifically made for electronic contacts, and supposedly improves connectivity. One shot and the scratchy pot is smooth and quiet.

User Info Menu

I' Maybe so, but it works just fine as a lubricant too. Are you certain it was designed as a degreaser, or as a grease dissolvent?
    Read the story of WD40 on their own website. It was formulated as a moisture displacer to prevent rust. It may have some lubricity, but it’s not a durable effect. The solvent in it dissolves fats, so it will thin grease and oil and spread it around. But there are far better products available for lubrication.

User Info Menu

A bit OT:  Ballistol?-wd_40-jpg

User Info Menu

You’ve proved the old adage to be true, Jim! We can grow out of adolescence, but it never grows out of us. That poster makes me wonder if GC should start carrying KY

I do hope that our friends around the world understand and appreciate the humor in this. If not, we’re in for one heck of a thread.

User Info Menu

And don’t tell me that wasn’t intended.

Your resident German A bit OT:  Ballistol?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

And don’t tell me that wasn’t intended.
    Hmmm - it could be a good debate topic, Steve. Does our relationship with our guitars justify personal lubricant?

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Hmmm - it could be a good debate topic, Steve. Does our relationship with our guitars justify personal lubricant?

Segovia used to liken guitars to women. The head, the neck, the curvy body with slender waist, and the dulcet voice. Can you imagine if he played an archtop with those cutouts knows as ******.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Segovia used to liken guitars to women. The head, the neck, the curvy body with slender waist, and the dulcet voice. Can you imagine if he played an archtop with those cutouts knows as ******.
    It certainly begs the question of how he came to prefer the style of guitar he used......

A bit OT:  Ballistol?-drumroll_snare1-gif.........RIM SHOT!!!!

User Info Menu

Advertising isnt what it used to be, thats for sure

User Info Menu

Didn't someone tell him not to scratch that most beautiful instrument between his legs?

Oh wait, no, that was Beecham to a female cellist

User Info Menu

Didn't someone tell him not to scratch that most beautiful instrument between his legs? Oh wait, no, that was Beecham to a female cellist
    I heard she got arrested for molesting A Minor.

A bit OT:  Ballistol?-gong-gif

User Info Menu

I thought hairs on her G string were involved?

User Info Menu

Does anyone here use this stuff for anything? They say it works on metal, plastic, leather, rubber, wood, electronics, almost anything.

Ballistol - The Original CLP - Cleans, Lubricates, Preserves
    Yes, I do. I use it for the bearing of my turntable.

User Info Menu

I never heard of Ballistol. WD40 is a wonderful product, with many uses, including as a fish attractant on lures. The world record shark was caught on a bait using it, IIRC. However, lubrication is not one of the uses. It's too thin, and evaporates, leaving no lubricant behind.

User Info Menu

Like most gun clean and lube products, Ballistol is mainly mineral oil, with a few additives. I did a little research and mixed up my own a few years ago:

The Casual Shooter: Search results for Ballistol

I remember a late-1960s interview in Guitar Player with John Cippolina, of Quicksilver Messenger Service, in which he spoke of cleaning his strings with Hoppes #9, a nitro powder solvent popular for cleaning firearms. Remember when we actually cleaned strings to save money? ? The Hoppes left the strings with a slick film of lube and a familiar smell.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I never heard of Ballistol. WD40 is a wonderful product, with many uses, including as a fish attractant on lures. The world record shark was caught on a bait using it, IIRC.
    Many people believe fish oil is an ingredient in WD-40, but that's supposed to be an urban legend.