The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Would this amp be too powerful for playing at low volumes at home?

Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Blu SIX - Henriksen Amplifiers

(It has a headphone jack. Can't get much more low volume than that!)

User Info Menu

Just don't turn it up loud.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Just don't turn it up loud.
    But seriously, folks ...

Joking aside, Woody is correct; with certain tube amps, turning them up (above bedroom level) gets the "sweet spot" players enjoy, but with this amp (and probably a lot of SS amps), quiet is good!

User Info Menu

Mine sounds fine at any volume.

User Info Menu

I just bought a Bud 10 to replace a Roland 80X. I anticipate no problem keeping the volume low for practice.

Thanks for your responses.

I don't have a lot of experience with amps so I was concerned that it might not sound good at low volumes. It is good to hear that is not an issue.

User Info Menu

No, it's fine for home playing, although you'll want it on the floor for best bass response and if you're practicing in a small room then ensure you have the tweeter on since you'll be close to it. For home practice I still use my Mambo 8 Wedge which I've had for around 10 years.

User Info Menu

I don't think you'll have any problem playing at low levels in your home, but if that's all you plan to do with the amp you'll be paying a lot of money for an amp that's much more powerful than your needs require.

Everybody says these are great amps and I'm sure that's true, but if you plan to just use it at home you might want to consider lower-cost, less powerful options.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan0996
    I don't think you'll have any problem playing at low levels in your home, but if that's all you plan to do with the amp you'll be paying a lot of money for an amp that's much more powerful than your needs require.
    True enough. I have a Little Jazz and a Blu 6. They both sound wonderful at any volume from a whisper to full output. The Blu is much more powerful than the LJ - but for home and small gig use, the LJ is more than adequate as well as a great backup amp. And I use both as a stereo rig with my Roland guitar synth.

If you wait for a sale on them, you can get a Little Jazz for 1/4 the cost of a Blu 6. Guitar Center and the other big vendors have been discounting them to $250 at least a few times a year.

Thanks. I will check out the little jazz. I was not aware of that one.

User Info Menu

Here is my experience: I only played a DV Mark Jazz once, but I was surprised how much it sounded like my Henriksen Jazz (v2). I was impressed. There are many threads here about the DV Mark Jazz. Worth a read.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    True enough. I have a Little Jazz and a Blu 6. They both sound wonderful at any volume from a whisper to full output. The Blu is much more powerful than the LJ - but for home and small gig use, the LJ is more than adequate as well as a great backup amp. And I use both as a stereo rig with my Roland guitar synth.

If you wait for a sale on them, you can get a Little Jazz for 1/4 the cost of a Blu 6. Guitar Center and the other big vendors have been discounting them to $250 at least a few times a year.
    I agree that the Blu is a bit of overkill, but it does have the tweeter to give it a more naturally crisp sound, if you like that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by st.bede
    Here is my experience: I only played a DV Mark Jazz once, but I was surprised how much it sounded like my Henriksen Jazz (v2). I was impressed. There are many threads here about the DV Mark Jazz. Worth a read.
    I have a Jazz 12 in the backline at the club in which I'm the house band leader, and I keep my Little Jazz and my Blu 6 at home. I've brought both to the club to compare them to our VIbrolux, CS PR, and Jazz 12 in performance. I (and the band) prefer the Blu 6 to any other amp I've used there for jazz. Even before putting a mic on it, it easily filled the club with great sound. But we also all like the sound of my archtops and solid bodies through the Jazz 12 as long as I keep the reverb low.

The electronics on the Jazz 12 and LJ are the same - the Jazz 12 will go a bit louder and will make more bass than the LJ if you turn up the bass EQ. But it's flabby unless I dial it back to about 9 o'clock. Even with my 7, the 8" LJ sounds more natural and is not at all bass shy. Nobody I know likes DVM reverb as much as Henriksen's - as described many times in many threads, DVM reverb gets weirdly chorusey if set above 10 to 11 o'clock. I do occasionally crank it all the way up for a Stern-like effect on selected tunes, but my Alesis Microverb does a better job of that than the DVM.

The LJ would handle 95% of my gigs for the rest of my life. I bought the Blu because I wanted to find out if it was as good as everybody says it is (it is!) and so I could cover another 4% of my remaining lifetime of gigs. It's a few pounds lighter than the LJ and about an inch smaller in every dimension. I used it Monday night on a quintet gig (tenor, keys, bass, drums and me) in center city Philly, so I had to park and walk. Being able to walk any distance with a guitar and amp over my shoulder is so wonderful that I have no words to describe it. The LJ and the Blu 6 are equally portable and either one would have been more than fine for the night. But even that extra inch and 3 pounds make a difference when you pass 70

The DV Little Mark Jazz is on sale for $279 now at MF, so I just bought one. Thanks for the advise.