The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 40 of 40

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    Just the Stork STD.

I've been drooling over this for some time.

Seventy Seven Hawk custom Sakura

I think what Seventy Seven are doing in Japan (not the cheaper JT series), is some of the finest 'affordable' guitars, to come out of the country. Their paint jobs are some of the nicest finishes I've seen.

That being said. all the Japanese guitars I've played, post 70's, tend to be a bit bright and quite crisp sounding. They are a different flavour to some degree.
    Is the Stork STD the one that looks like a Les Paul? Cool guitar. I couldn't be happier with my Seventy Seven in terms of looks, sound, or playability. The finish and and other visual elements really do stand out.

I haven't played all that many MIJ archtops so I can't really speak to their collective brightness. But I will say that mine is not as bright as, say, the MIJ D'Aquistos I've tried, or the MIK Comins and MIC Eastmans I've tried.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    So JP.. what do you think about the Westville CC pickup vs the Armstrong in the base model vs. a Gibson 57 HB? Guessing the 'PAF' pickup in the Sadowsky Jim Hall model the Aruba is patterned after is closer to the Gibson.
    I was specifically after the CC rail type pickup sound, and went to Walkin’ last Fall to try out their models with that pIckup. I settled on the Aruba for the 16” body with a cutaway and flame maple. Couldn’t be happier, though I did spend the afternoon playing all the WV and AT. A friend got a 17” AT with the HB/PAF type pickup, closer to the Gibson vibe that he was after, and is very happy with that. In my humble opinion, you couldn’t go wrong with any of them.

User Info Menu

You might also have a listen to YouTube clips of Lage Lund, where he plays his Westville Prospect. He swapped the stock pickup for a Gibson PAF.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Something looks different about the shape of that guitar compared to a 175. Almost smaller, or maybe the f-holes are in a different position.
    Gilpy has it right. It’s an ES-140 sized model. I replaced the original tailpiece (full sized zigzag) and added the bridge pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by stevus
    You might also have a listen to YouTube clips of Lage Lund, where he plays his Westville Prospect. He swapped the stock pickup for a Gibson PAF.
    He is getting a really great tone..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Is the Stork STD the one that looks like a Les Paul? Cool guitar. I couldn't be happier with my Seventy Seven in terms of looks, sound, or playability. The finish and and other visual elements really do stand out.

I haven't played all that many MIJ archtops so I can't really speak to their collective brightness. But I will say that mine is not as bright as, say, the MIJ D'Aquistos I've tried, or the MIK Comins and MIC Eastmans I've tried.
    Sorry I meant to say 'Hawk STD'.
    Yes I too found the 77 to have a deeper tone than anticipated. They're doing good work!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    Sorry I meant to say 'Hawk STD'.
    Yes I too found the 77 to have a deeper tone than anticipated. They're doing good work!
    Cool. I haven't seen one of those in person, but have heard some really good sounding videos of them. One of these days it'd be great to hear all these guitars you've been taking on.

User Info Menu

I used to have a Seventy Seven Hawk Jazz. I sold it, to my regret now. Great guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Cool. I haven't seen one of those in person, but have heard some really good sounding videos of them. One of these days it'd be great to hear all these guitars you've been taking on.

The truth is, I really don't play much anymore at all. Last night was the first time in months.
    Playing music just lost meaning after leaving jazz school some 10 years ago and I've never really found much joy from doing it since.
    One day I will. I'm just having too much fun doing other things.
    Luckily my passion for Jazz guitars is still strong and they keep me around the things I have loved all my life.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stevus
    I used to have a Seventy Seven Hawk Jazz. I sold it, to my regret now. Great guitar.
    Whilst I found them to be really good, a Westerly Guild SF2 (the maple blonde, not the mahogany red one) is even better. Not by much but imo; slightly richer tone, a nicer neck and just as well made.

User Info Menu

Nice guitar, indeed. Always had a sweet spot for Guild guitars. I still have one Seventy Seven, the Exrubato Custom Koa. Even more rare than the Hawk Custom Koa.

User Info Menu

I have a Hawk Jazz Deep-body Custom Koa.

User Info Menu

Nice!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    I have a Hawk Jazz Deep-body Custom Koa.
    Nice.

User Info Menu

I was in Walkin' a couple of weeks ago, they really do fantastic work. The guitars he designs are all made by Terada in Nagoya (who made the D'Aquisto jazz line, Fender D'Aquistos and a number of other hollow bodies). Great quality. I've had a jazz line made by Terada for 20+ years and it just sounds better and better.

There were a couple prototypes they are currently working on sitting there, including some solid bodies. They had some custom pickups made in Nagano they are messing with, and said they are looking to switch to those.