The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hello guys, the subject line says it all. I'm looking for a dedicated floating pickup for a four-string tenor. I'd rather a humbucker than a single coil and I'd prefer fbd mount to pickguard attachment.

I thought I'd find this easily among the cigar box guitar community but much to my surprise haven't found one. I'll go for a flatpup if I can't get a floater but would definitely prefer the latter.

Best, NP

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'd suggest contacting Kent Armstrong or Pete Biltoft. I believe DeArmond made a tenor guitar version of the Rhythm Chief, if you want to do the vintage hunt.

User Info Menu

A DeArmond Rhythm Chief 1000 should work, even though it's a single coil. It will probably require a fair-sized cutout in the pickguard, if you use one, but it should do the job, mounted to the neck via a rod. It usually needs a pickguard to hold the treble side in place, but putty like Blu-Tack will work as well. Vintage Vibe offers a neck-mount Johnny Smith style humbucker with blades, which should fit a tenor. I bought one and the mounting arms were way too narrow for my 6-string, and it's easier to narrow the spacing than to widen it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    I'd suggest contacting Kent Armstrong or Pete Biltoft. I believe DeArmond made a tenor guitar version of the Rhythm Chief, if you want to do the vintage hunt.
    Yes, the Dearmond 400 is a tenor pickup that is the "monkey on a stick" version. no drilling holes and no adhesives

User Info Menu

Any floating neck-mounted humbucker made for a 6-string guitar will work. Covered polepiece or bar magnet styles will look fine, IMO, just a bit wide.

User Info Menu

I wonder of a mandolin pickup would work?

Sorry! Something went wrong!

User Info Menu

I'm not sure that pickguard would fit a tenor guitar. Wouldn't look right, and probably won't reach the bridge for support.

Thanks everyone. I didn't fancy a Rhythm Chief despite its excellent track record, so I've come up with a radical solution. Don't wanna share it yet in case it doesn't work. I'll post here in a couple of months. Best, NP