The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I just stumbled across the Quilter Frontliner 2x8w cabs. Anyone have any experience?

(They do seem ungodly priced).

My worry is that the Frontliner will be hyper-pushed and have little sense of air.

They look interesting to me. I like 10s a lot more then 8s.

Maybe, I do not have enough experience, but to me 8s seem to lack depth, and become blurry with time based fx that are in front of the preamp. Again, my experiences are limited and I am no expert. Please feel free to share your thoughts.

If you use or have more experience with 8s, please tell me your thoughts.
    Last edited by st.bede; 06-20-2022 at 04:27 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I like 2x8 cabs, and have owned several brands/styles; no experience with the Quilter, though. [Since VBoutique makes cabs for Quilter and others, contact them and ask about a 2x8 -- it will be significantly less than the Quilter!]

The "jazz guitar" 2x8s are often high-power "PA" or even bass speakers, but you can get lower-watt, guitar speakers (i.e., 25W x 2, so 50W total) that still work well, depending on your amp. My main amps are 20W tube amps, so a 50W cab is fine. There are certainly differences between a 400W and a 50W cab, but both still push some air, and all the differences will be subjective, so "it depends" on what you like. The 2x8 will also be significantly lighter than a 2x10, so if you're looking for an easier carry, consider a 2x8!

User Info Menu

Lots and lots of praise on Quilter owners' FB pages. The Quilterites seem to be a happy and growing sect. Ultimately, the question is one of purpose. Home alone, stand alone or monitoring? With the proliferation of decent PA systems at venues, coupled with noise level restrictions, cabs on stage are assuming more of a monitoring role. Even my 6.5" Metros are sufficient as such for a jazz audience of up to 200 people. Rock players hooked to the venue's sound system use them as monitors and/or to induce guitar feedback you won't get with in-ear monitoring. How much air a speaker moves is less important today than in the past. That 12" is still the benchmark caliber for electric guitar makes less an less sense, especially in jazz, where 10" simply sounds better and even smaller speakers do the job.
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 06-21-2022 at 03:52 AM.

User Info Menu

8" speakers are great, but it all depends on what guitar you use, and what amp they are in. Then again one needs to talk about impedance 4 or 8 ohm has a BIG effect.

This is a load on the ampdifferent amp designs respond/react to different loads Polytone were the masters of that, NO question about that.

Newer amps using 6" smaller. Pricing is a factor because 8" 4 ohm speakers are VERY limited choice/manufactorer wise, ( also well in terms of power handling above 75W )

10" are good speakers but conversely less 10" speaker amps out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Durban
    8" speakers are great, but it all depends on what guitar you use, and what amp they are in. Then again one needs to talk about impedance 4 or 8 ohm has a BIG effect.

This is a load on the ampdifferent amp designs respond/react to different loads Polytone were the masters of that, NO question about that.

Newer amps using 6" smaller. Pricing is a factor because 8" 4 ohm speakers are VERY limited choice/manufactorer wise, ( also well in terms of power handling above 75W )

10" are good speakers but conversely less 10" speaker amps out there.
    I was not aware that impedance has effect on the tone. I just always match the required or suggested amp impedance and speaker. What are the effects?