The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 30

User Info Menu

I picked up this incredible L-7C from Rudy's in NYC this weekend, I'm stunned by it! I've been looking for a high end archtop for a bit, mostly considering Heritage Eagles and Guild Artist Awards. However, after trying it out and comparing to a few other L-7s I knew I had to have it. It's the best acoustic instrument I've played, rich and balanced, full low end, and LOUD, almost enough to make me feel bad for my neighbors playing it here in my Philly row home. It's also insanely clean for a guitar that's almost 60 years old!

1963 Gibson L-7C-16551262713963833599895378691740-jpg
    1963 Gibson L-7C-16551263644176130711541957879701-jpg
    1963 Gibson L-7C-16551264243788052670617262918388-jpg
    1963 Gibson L-7C-16551265412424858803702267768604-jpg
    1963 Gibson L-7C-1655126590961629993042708125135-jpg

Now I need to figure out a pickup to install. Rudy's suggest a DeArmond reissue, and it was something I was considering, but 1. I play through a couple silverface Fenders and a Victoria Club Deluxe that are already fairly bright/scooped and 2. I'd rather something pickgaurd mounted so that I don't have to drill into that guitar. So now I'm considering some of the Kent Armstrong options on archtop.com, either the floating PAF, the Johnny Smith, or even their P90/DeArmond style single coil. I want something full and warm, but I also like to set my amps right on the edge of breakup and too much low end starts to sound a little flubby. I'm leaning toward the PAF, but any recommendations are welcomed!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

DEFINITELY a floater, do not drill into that guitar!

User Info Menu

Benedetto S6

I put a B7 in my gigging 7 string archtop and really love it. The bottom is tight and clean. For the first time on any 7 I've owned since I switched in the early '90s, the 7th is just another string. There's no boom and no bloom unless I dial it in. So the S6 (which is a similar design to the B but floating) should give you exactly what you describe: "...something full and warm, but I also like to set my amps right on the edge of breakup and too much low end starts to sound a little flubby." There's neither flab nor flub unless you do it with EQ

User Info Menu

You will also want to consider getting another pickguard, as you will have to cut out a notch for the pickup. Keep the original uncut.

User Info Menu

I had the KA handmade floating PAF 12-pole and it sounded fantastic. I have heard that the KA handmade floating single coil also is an excellent pick if you want the D'Armond sound. It looks like your L7 has plenty of clearance, but I would measure it just to be sure.

PS - If you contact KA himself, he can send you the pickup with a neck mount bracket instead of the pickguard tab.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BreckerFan
    I picked up this incredible L-7C from Rudy's in NYC this weekend, I'm stunned by it! I've been looking for a high end archtop for a bit, mostly considering Heritage Eagles and Guild Artist Awards. However, after trying it out and comparing to a few other L-7s I knew I had to have it. It's the best acoustic instrument I've played, rich and balanced, full low end, and LOUD, almost enough to make me feel bad for my neighbors playing it here in my Philly row home. It's also insanely clean for a guitar that's almost 60 years old!

1963 Gibson L-7C-1655126590961629993042708125135-jpg

Now I need to figure out a pickup to install. Rudy's suggest a DeArmond reissue, and it was something I was considering, but 1. I play through a couple silverface Fenders and a Victoria Club Deluxe that are already fairly bright/scooped and 2. I'd rather something pickgaurd mounted so that I don't have to drill into that guitar. So now I'm considering some of the Kent Armstrong options on archtop.com, either the floating PAF, the Johnny Smith, or even their P90/DeArmond style single coil. I want something full and warm, but I also like to set my amps right on the edge of breakup and too much low end starts to sound a little flubby. I'm leaning toward the PAF, but any recommendations are welcomed!
    That's a beautiful guitar.

User Info Menu

Also worth considering are the Lollar Johnnie Smith pickguard mount, and the Pete Biltoft floating PAF, also a pickguard mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    You will also want to consider getting another pickguard, as you will have to cut out a notch for the pickup. Keep the original uncut.
    The pickguard is actually already an aftermarket, so no problems cutting into it. It looks like replacements are easy enough to come by from archtop.com, I've considered getting a second and having one with the PAF and one with the single coil that I could swap between, but I think I'll stick with one for the moment.
    Good to hear on the PAF, I've been impressed with the samples I've heard and opinions seem to be generally favorable. Does it work well with bronze strings as advertised?

Quote Originally Posted by bluejaybill
    Also worth considering are the Lollar Johnnie Smith pickguard mount, and the Pete Biltoft floating PAF, also a pickguard mount.
    Good point, I've had good experiences with Pete's pickups.

User Info Menu

Congrats and may she inspire your playing for many years to come! I have played a few acoustic Gibson archtops from the early 60's and have been very impressed.

If Fender Blackface type tube amps are your preference, I would go with a floating humbucker of some sort.

User Info Menu

L7''s are generally as good as an L5c in sound and some of them clearly better than an L5. It is a wonderful guitar enjoy and play. If you want a KA pickup made by Kent himself let me know. i have one and would sell for $100. No bracket atteched that would need to be made.

User Info Menu

You will need a PU with adjustable polepieces. The Kent Armstrong 12 Pole floater allows for more adjustment of individual string volume than any 6 pole version, so i'd recommend this.

User Info Menu

What pickup is "the best" is an impossible quest - I have been sceptical about the KA single coil/DeArmond model that came with my Trenier Jazz Special but after a few months of trying out different types and gauges of strings, amp settings, action and so forth I found the sweet spot(s) and have been very happy with this combo for the past 3 years now. Same story with my Ibanez GB15 - the original pickup WORKS just fine with the setup I favor and I have no plans to swap it out.
    I guess the guitar was not cheap (coming from THE boutique store in NYC ...) so investing a couple hundred in one or two different pickups should be worth your while. Whether you go for the KA or Lollar or Biltoft model - they will find a new owner fast if you offer them here. Don't forget the effect of the controls you might want to add - each pickup reacts differently to the various pot values ....so keep your soldering iron at the ready and have FUN !!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    DEFINITELY a floater, do not drill into that guitar!
    Yes! I even bought the cheapest cracked L7 I could find in which to put a pickup and still could not bring myself to making the hole (and therefore fitted a McCarty).

User Info Menu

https://m.youtube.com/?gl=GB&hl=en-GB

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    What pickup is "the best" is an impossible quest - I have been sceptical about the KA single coil/DeArmond model that came with my Trenier Jazz Special but after a few months of trying out different types and gauges of strings, amp settings, action and so forth I found the sweet spot(s) and have been very happy with this combo for the past 3 years now. Same story with my Ibanez GB15 - the original pickup WORKS just fine with the setup I favor and I have no plans to swap it out.
    I guess the guitar was not cheap (coming from THE boutique store in NYC ...) so investing a couple hundred in one or two different pickups should be worth your while. Whether you go for the KA or Lollar or Biltoft model - they will find a new owner fast if you offer them here. Don't forget the effect of the controls you might want to add - each pickup reacts differently to the various pot values ....so keep your soldering iron at the ready and have FUN !!!
    While it was not the most expensive guitar they had by far, I don't think cheap is the right word either

Quote Originally Posted by icr
    Yes! I even bought the cheapest cracked L7 I could find in which to put a pickup and still could not bring myself to making the hole (and therefore fitted a McCarty).
    The McCarty is tempting, but they're going for around $1000 used right now. I've seen some things to suggest that Lollar will build them but I'm not sure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BreckerFan
    While it was not the most expensive guitar they had by far, I don't think cheap is the right word either
    At least not at Rudy's.
    Enjoy that one....

User Info Menu

I know you're not leaning towards a DeArmond, but there's a guy who makes reissues of the monkey-on-a-stick and even of the control boxes. With that you wouldn't need to alter anything on/in the guitar.

User Info Menu

Rotated for you, because this beauty deserves to be seen vertically! Congrats on a beautiful L7. Lollar makes a repro McCarty pickup which is what I have on mine, along with a reproduction guard:Lollar McCarty Style Pickup for Archtop Guitar | Lollar Pickups Blog

User Info Menu

A real beauty! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    I know you're not leaning towards a DeArmond, but there's a guy who makes reissues of the monkey-on-a-stick and even of the control boxes. With that you wouldn't need to alter anything on/in the guitar.
    I considered those as well, but I tend to anchor my picking hand at the bridge and I wonder if it would feel in the way. Plus, and maybe this is superficial, I've never been a fan of how they look

User Info Menu

I am fortunate enough to have 3 L7Cs - all very different. My 71/72 has a Lollar Johnny Smith. It is a warm, although not a particularly loud floater. Unlike most L7s, this one was ordered with an ebony board - which to my ear is brighter than the standard Rosewood.

I have 68 with a floater of some kind - might be a Kent A. It was on the guitar when I got it years ago. But it is much warmer and louder than the 71 Lollar.

Late last year, I scored a 64, completely acoustic. I put a 1956 Dearmond RC 1000 - by far the best sounding of all three. I really like 60s L7CS. If I were you, I would either try to find an original Dearmond Or a modern day replica. I have heard good things about the newer ones.

Good luck with your new guitar. They are great guitars and in some ways I actually prefer them to L5s.

User Info Menu

Beautiful! Much prefer the understated elegance of an L-7C to an L-5C.

How about just miking it with a mini-condenser like a Bartlett Audio Guitar Mike instead of a magnetic pickup?

You could look into a Krivo magnetic pickup.
    KRIVO PICKUPS - Home

User Info Menu