The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hey,

I am really interested in acoustic Dangelico archtops. Sadly, they are not produced anymore (and the old ones cost alot), so i was wondering, since the D'Angelico Excel EXL-1 has a floating pickup, would it be possible to just remove it, without it leaving any marks, holes or cavities on the body?

Appreciate the responses.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sure, and it'll be the exact same as if you left the pickup on it; removing it won't effect the acoustics either way. Those guitars are laminated and in that respect, not an optimum acoustic guitar the way the legendary John D'Angelico guitars were.
    I had an Asian Exel (as opposed to a hand built John D'Angelico upon which that D'Angelico reputation was based) and it was OK to play plugged in but though you can hear it acoustically, it didn't have the acoustic, the pure acoustic response that a solid topped instrument would have.
    If you're looking for an acoustic sound and feel, the Asian laminated top instruments may look like a spruce topped acoustic guitar, but the materials will be an impediment to the feel and sound you seem to be hoping for.
    Best thing, try one out. Maybe the differences I hear won't be such a deal breaker to you. Try one with a floating pickup, if it feels good, that's what you'll have whether you choose to keep or remove the pickup.
    Hope this helps.
    Best of luck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kurikz
    Hey,

I am really interested in acoustic Dangelico archtops. Sadly, they are not produced anymore (and the old ones cost alot), so i was wondering, since the D'Angelico Excel EXL-1 has a floating pickup, would it be possible to just remove it, without it leaving any marks, holes or cavities on the body?

There are no holes cut into the top to attach the pickup. Rather, the pickup is attached to the pickguard, which is attached to the body with screws (one on the side via a bracket, and one into the guitar's top near the neck extension). If you leave the pickguard on you won't expose the holes, but if you remove it you will. The pickup rests (slightly) on the top, and there might be a mark there. But the main thing to consider is that it has a laminated top and is not really an acoustic guitar. I've tried a few of them, and to be fair, they're not bad sounding unplugged, but nowhere near as loud and full sounding as a true acoustic instrument.

Thanks, I didnt even think about the materials and construction, i think ill keep looking and go another route then .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Sure, and it'll be the exact same as if you left the pickup on it; removing it won't effect the acoustics either way. Those guitars are laminated and in that respect, not an optimum acoustic guitar the way the legendary John D'Angelico guitars were.
    I had an Asian Exel (as opposed to a hand built John D'Angelico upon which that D'Angelico reputation was based) and it was OK to play plugged in but though you can hear it acoustically, it didn't have the acoustic, the pure acoustic response that a solid topped instrument would have.
    If you're looking for an acoustic sound and feel, the Asian laminated top instruments may look like a spruce topped acoustic guitar, but the materials will be an impediment to the feel and sound you seem to be hoping for.
    Best thing, try one out. Maybe the differences I hear won't be such a deal breaker to you. Try one with a floating pickup, if it feels good, that's what you'll have whether you choose to keep or remove the pickup.
    Hope this helps.
    Best of luck.
    Agree, however, it should be noted that the strings you use will give a more, or less "acoustic" tone...I have Flats on mine and it's not all that acoustic but when I purchased it there were nickel rounds and they sounded more acoustically....If you don't intend using the p.up maybe bronzes would do the trick...But as Jimmy said no where near a "pure" acoustic d'angelico...

User Info Menu

Of course a floating pickup shouldn't affect the acoustic sound but IMHO, if you want to use an electric-acoustic purely acoustically, nothing should be touching the top (nor the back).
    Or at least not lightly. It's been a real quest for me to hunt down all the bits of cable that were in contact with a vibrating surface because I could hear buzzing. Even right next to the top screw of the fingerrest which goes into a part of the top that should hardly vibrate. I've had to make a cotton string loop to keep the output cable from touching the edge of the f-hole. Hardest one to trace was that same cable touching the back (fortunately it had slack enough to loop it using a piece of gaffer tape).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kurikz
    Hey,