The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

I put these strings on my guitar - they sound really great.The guitar is comfortable to play.
    CU-Martino-M Set
    016-018-F26-F36-F48-F56
    Example of the sound:

Box

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    I put these strings on my guitar - they sound really great.The guitar is comfortable to play. CU-Martino-M Set 016-018-F26-F36-F48-F56
    Hmmm - calling a 16-56 set medium takes me back to my childhood, when the strings were fat and the players were skinny They sound great. On what instrument did you put them?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Hmmm - calling a 16-56 set medium takes me back to my childhood, when the strings were fat and the players were skinny They sound great. On what instrument did you put them?
    Thanks.
    Hollow-body "Hamadyk" guitar.

User Info Menu

Did you have to adjust the tr? Seems like the higher strings are much heavier, but as you move down to the low e, not so much.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Did you have to adjust the tr? Seems like the higher strings are much heavier, but as you move down to the low e, not so much.
    I didn't do anything with the guitar settings.
    Before changing the strings on the guitar, I had the standard D'Addario 12 jazz strings.
    These strings are very fun to play ... you can even lower the bridge a little.

User Info Menu

Well good for a serious isometric workout! Lol! Sounds really Good!

User Info Menu

Sounds good. I do not know if goodness is coming from the gear/recording/hand or the strings. It would be great to keep all the very same, and let the only variable the strings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    Sounds good. I do not know if goodness is coming from the gear/recording/hand or the strings. It would be great to keep all the very same, and let the only variable the strings.
    The end result is very good and the strings are recommendable.

User Info Menu

Sets - Pat Martino Flatwounds - GHS Strings

and the 15-52 set is called ‘light’

nearly spat out my coffee ....

i might try some , as long as my friends don’t find out i’m playing
    light guage strings ....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Sets - Pat Martino Flatwounds - GHS Strings

and the 15-52 set is called ‘light’

nearly spat out my coffee ....

i might try some , as long as my friends don’t find out i’m playing
    light guage strings ....
    If you check the Pat Martino Light set, you may drink more good coffee.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

How would you compare the GHS Martino sound and feel-wise to Thomastik Infeld Swings?

Thanks
    Ron

User Info Menu

I put these strings on my guitar - they sound really great.The guitar is comfortable to play.
    CU-Martino-M Set
    016-018-F26-F36-F48-F56
    Example of the sound:

Box
    Lovely... been hesitating in putting the light version 015-052....from d'addario's 011-050 flats on mine as I feared they would be too hard on the aging fingers.....

D'you file the nut?

Thx

Ray

User Info Menu

Just a quick observation: I understand that Pat preferred a beefy E 1st because he was in the habit of popping lighter gauges. The "light" set is pretty much like a standard 12-52 except for that 015. I have tried a 014 there and found it's comfortable if you can get the action down, otherwise a 013 works fine, IME. That said, I believe he also liked a high action, so go figure, as they say. I was lucky enough to see him live once, in Spain.

User Info Menu

It always amazed me how such a small slight guy could get around on super heavy strings w high action like he did.
    He must've had very strong hands.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    It always amazed me how such a small slight guy could get around on super heavy strings w high action like he did.
    He must've had very strong hands.
    That, and how Django got by with 2 fingers - the 2 most confounding mysteries in the history of Jazz guitar.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    That, and how Django got by with 2 fingers - the 2 most confounding mysteries in the history of Jazz guitar.....

Where there's a will.....

User Info Menu

Great playing, as usual, Kris.

I wish it were as easy as just using heavy strings to get your tone, but I know it is not. Take Care.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Considering Freddie Greens high action, make it 3 mysteries

Sendt fra min SM-T810 med Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff
    How would you compare the GHS Martino sound and feel-wise to?

Thanks
    Ron
    I like Thomastik Infeld Swings13s.
    I have to play longer on the GHS Martino ... but after a few days I can say that the GHS Martino are great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RayS
    Lovely... been hesitating in putting the light version 015-052....from d'addario's 011-050 flats on mine as I feared they would be too hard on the aging fingers.....

D'you file the nut?

Thx

Ray
    I do not file nut...before I use 13 Swing THomastic and Daddario jazz 12.

User Info Menu

I think I have better control over the jazz notes using heavy strings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Leif_Olstrup
    Considering Freddie Greens high action, make it 3 mysteries

Sendt fra min SM-T810 med Tapatalk
    OK, I'll see your 3, and raise it to 5, with Wes's thumb, and Charlie Christian's downstrokes...

User Info Menu

I like Thomastik Infeld Swings13s.
    I have to play longer on the GHS Martino ... but after a few days I can say that the GHS Martino are great.
    My own experience with PM GHS 015-052 (Light)

I 've had them on about a month now...at first I liked them a lot..then for the last week or so they've become somewhat "dull" although the sound is still nice but my old fingers are struggling a bit mostly near headstock barré chords ..legatos are harder to do to....on the + side I thought they "intonated" really well and definitely got rid of the "plinky" 1st and 2nd st.and I could lower the action a tad I also preferred a slightly thicker/heavier pick with the Ghs...when compared to my D'addarios 011-048 ECG.

I'll give the Swings13s a go and maybe the pyramid golds....

S

User Info Menu

Update.

I now have the Ti swings 013, very nice and not so hard on my fingers....

It's only been 6 hours so I'll see in a couple of weeks.....They do have the plain E and B sort of gold tinge or brass whatever..they sound ok but we'll see if I replace them with Elixirs.....the other 4 (wound) gauges are quite nice....they intonated perfectly, as did the GHS...

I have to say I was getting really annoyed with the lifeless tone of the GHS PM 015-052 lately , no amount of tone adjustment was right too bright too dark nothing good... I imagine Pat M used to change his strings fairly often.....

I've been a long time D'adds flats user, 011-048, but the high E and B were just too thinny sounding and as bright as the rest of the set was when new, it got too dark too fast ...having said that I've had them on there for 6 mo.....

I also experimented with different pick thicknesses. , with the GHs I went thicker (0.88 dunlop ultex and now back to the .73 dunlops.) I sort of have a light touch although when in the moment I tend to tense up that picking action. ..

Oh and I can play chords again in the first positions (barrés)

S
    Last edited by SOLR; 11-01-2022 at 09:04 PM. Reason: add info

User Info Menu

Playing heavier strings requires a better setup. You need little or no relief in the neck, the nut slots at the height of the first fret, and a low bridge. The vibration excursion is smaller, so there is less buzz with lower action. Lighter strings need higher action because there is more excursion, thus more buzz at the same action height. Heavy strings aren't harder to play, IME, provided the setup is done right.