The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 115

User Info Menu

And speaking of vintage instruments, does anyone know a source for a rosewood archtop-type bridge saddle that is compensated for a PLAIN G?

The only ones I can find are compensated for a wound G. I've used an aluminum Bigsby saddle on a couple guitars I have, because those are easily found for a plain G and they sound fine, but I'd prefer a rosewood one.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Show Your vintage gear!-dscn2966-jpg Show Your vintage gear!-dscn2968-jpgShow Your vintage gear!-dscn2965-jpg

'64 Fender Vibroverb, '86 PRS CU24; Black Panel Vibro Champ; '52 TV Front Tweed Deluxe, '66 Fender Custom Telecaster

User Info Menu

A few more years and that PRS of yours will be vintage!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythmisking
    A few more years and that PRS of yours will be vintage!
    It has enough gigging hours to qualify!

User Info Menu

Show Your vintage gear!-epiphone-1-jpgShow Your vintage gear!-epiphone-5-jpgShow Your vintage gear!-epiphone-7-jpg

1951 Epiphone Zephyr Regent. I got it in 1970. It had clear plastic knobs with non-original tuners. The wear on the top near the pickup is from where I rest my finger while playing. The inside of the Tone Spectrum pickup was replaced with a custom Lindy Fralin pickup after it died.

User Info Menu

And speaking of vintage instruments, does anyone know a source for a rosewood archtop-type bridge saddle that is compensated for a PLAIN G?
    Sadowsky used to sell saddles compensated wirh standard (Gibson) post spacing for plain G strings (ebony, not rosewood) from their web shop but they are not mentioned there anymore. But can't hurt sending them an e-mail to ask for it.

Sendt fra min SM-T810 med Tapatalk

User Info Menu

The only ones I can find are compensated for a wound G. I've used an aluminum Bigsby saddle on a couple guitars I have, because those are easily found for a plain G and they sound fine, but I'd prefer a rosewood one.
    Not sure if it helps but…

https://shop.rall-online.net/Archtop...plain-G-string

User Info Menu

Some very lovely specimens and wonderful collections! Here's some of mine:

Show Your vintage gear!-125_smi_jaz-jpg
    Gibson ES-125TD early 60s
    Gibson Johnny Smith mid 70s
    Fender Jazzmaster mid 60s

Show Your vintage gear!-sam_yam_ric-jpg
    Yamaha SG-5A late 60s
    Yamaha SG-12 late 60s
    Rickenbacker 456-12 convertible late 60s

Show Your vintage gear!-sit_roc_air-jpg
    Danelectro Electric Sitar late 60s
    Harmony Rocket H59 mid 60s
    Airline Barney Kessel Swingmaster mid 60s

Show Your vintage gear!-amp_efx-jpg
    Gibson Falcon GA-19 RVT early 60s
    Fender VibroChamp mid 60s
    Maestro, UniVibe, Fuzz Face, etc. 60s & 70s

User Info Menu

My blondes from the 1950s
    Show Your vintage gear!-0473c51b-be9f-4785-a68b-04cd3a635b6b-jpg

User Info Menu

1979 ES175CC, (1926 Steinway Baby Grand behind me), 1968 Les Paul Standard

Show Your vintage gear!-175_2457-jpgShow Your vintage gear!-lp-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzPadd

Yamaha SG-5A late 60s
    Yamaha SG-12 late 60s

Wow. This collection ticks sooo many of my boxes!

User Info Menu

OK, I'll play, but modestly.
    My '59 Gibson ES 125 T
    Show Your vintage gear!-dsc_0233-jpg
    And a '60 crappy guitar player (the player, the guitar is not vintage)
    Show Your vintage gear!-bo-jpg

User Info Menu

We have played together for 39 or 40 years. I am the second owner I bought it from Robert Lessey his name in the 17th fret pearl, through dealer in New York. I called Robert after I bought it and he was in his 73 at the time. All original New Yorker even the pickguard, one that was before all the gasing the happens. It is the 3rd New Yorker built according to the ledgers. Robert was giging with Fletcher Henderson and doing well so he wanted a fancy guitar and Benard Addison put him in touch the D'angelico. Made in 1937 the year my mother was born. Both of them still working well today with a commanding voice.

It is 18 inches wide with a wider neck too and plays wonderfully modern by any standards. In fact before the picture i just took I was working on single line bop standards getting them up to speed. Donna Lee plays mighty nice on this neck. It has power in reserve to say the least. In fact Paul Schmidt who wrote the book Acquire of Angels, is a friend and he came to visit and play this guitar. At the time he thought this was the best sounding guitar he had heard.

Show Your vintage gear!-img_2178-jpgShow Your vintage gear!-img_2179-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohanAbrandt
    That's great, thanks!! It's super affordable too.

User Info Menu

Yamaha SG-5A late 60s
    Yamaha SG-12 late 60s

That’s like Nels Cline’s stage setup, right there.

Cool stuff—the Rickenbacker is super cool. I assume the Bigsby thing pulls the double strings out of the way to make it 6-string instead of 12-string?

User Info Menu

Of course mine aren’t as nice. Some of you are real collectors!

Show Your vintage gear!-779d7a3e-21be-4271-b562-a6ea1a7c4f97-jpg

A Mexican bandolon from early 1900’s. The top and back are separated from the body, so it wouldn’t be playable without major rehab. It’s just wall art for now.

Show Your vintage gear!-efb0e532-d3eb-46ff-8b6a-54bab95bfc74-jpg

1964 Harmony Brilliant Cutaway. Probably the best thing Harmony ever made. I added the RC1000 reissue pickup. Very nice-sounding and playable guitar, used to belong to a local sportscaster. I’m the second owner after him. The ES135 on the right is not too vintagey…2002, but it’s aging as we speak.

Show Your vintage gear!-1547c0cd-dace-4a86-92f6-b2f249c73e6d-jpg

1970 Electra Gibson bass copy. I found this in the trash and rehabbed it. I sold it to Conor Oberst’s gear tech a few years ago.

Show Your vintage gear!-70a44d18-8d0a-4fc8-afcf-b5f091af4334-jpg

1956 Kay mahogany arch top. It’s got a bit of neck bow, though playable with a really low saddle. I added an Epiphone pickup and set it up for slide.

Show Your vintage gear!-306b384a-3fc7-43f2-9f8d-1b95599f1d33-jpeg

Early 60’s Silvertone arch top, which my daughter currently has. Like the Kay, it has some neck bow, but playable with a modified saddle. Fine for playing along to Beatles songs, as she likes to do.

User Info Menu

Here's my 64 hummingbird
    Show Your vintage gear!-_mg_1697-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    That’s like Nels Cline’s stage setup, right there.

Cool stuff—the Rickenbacker is super cool. I assume the Bigsby thing pulls the double strings out of the way to make it 6-string instead of 12-string?
    Thank you!

The claw arm on the Ric convertible hooks over any or all of the octave or unison strings, which can then be locked down and out of play. So it can make a 12 string into a 6 string, yes, but can also independently lock any combination of strings down. For example, it can lock down the octave strings on 5 and 6. Any combo works.

Show Your vintage gear!-363bdd0c-ad7d-4346-b51f-dfc68ec50a24-jpeg

Show Your vintage gear!-361a48e6-6f0b-40c7-9156-9af01be2b634-jpeg

User Info Menu

Thank you!

The claw arm on the Ric convertible hooks over any or all of the octave or unison strings, which can then be locked down and out of play. So it can make a 12 string into a 6 string, yes, but can also independently lock any combination of strings down. For example, it can lock down the octave strings on 5 and 6. Any combo works.

Show Your vintage gear!-363bdd0c-ad7d-4346-b51f-dfc68ec50a24-jpeg

Show Your vintage gear!-361a48e6-6f0b-40c7-9156-9af01be2b634-jpeg
    That’s crazy, and super cool. I can see someone like Nels Cline or Pat Metheny going to town with that.

Slightly off topic, but in recent years Roger Mcguinn has used a Martin 7-string guitar with a double/octaved G string to replicate the sound of his 12-string Rickenbacker. He says it gets most of the sound he‘s known for, but easier to play and do runs.

User Info Menu

Here’s my contribution to the thread (in order of their pics' appearance):

· 1978 Aria Pro II PE-175 Herb Ellis
    · 198? DJArgus Excel AEX
    · 1941 Gibson J55 (Refinished)
    · 1973 Ibanez 2846
    · 1960s Imperial, which best as I can determine was made by Guyatone for the Imperial Accordion Company of Chicago, hence the branding “Imperial.”

For purposes of this thread, if you consider the dictionary definition of Vintage as “a classic recognized as high quality and lasting appeal” then it may be that the only guitar on my list that would be considered Vintage is the 1941 J55. I guess that makes the others just old guitars, although each with its own individual backstory.

For example, the Imperial was the first guitar I ever bought. It was 1968 and I was 13 years old. I had saved $45 of my baby-sitting money and my father took me to the TSS Department Store on Cross Bay Boulevard in Queens, NY, to buy the guitar. I didn’t have enough money left over for an amp so I used to plug it into my father’s reel-to-reel tape recorder. And then there's the Ibanez 2846, which I bought new from Sam Ash in 1973. It's a true lawsuit era guitar designed to copy the Guild D50, although with its Rosewood back and sides, and spruce top this is no mere copy when it comes to quality construction and tone.

Show Your vintage gear!-pe-175-5-jpgShow Your vintage gear!-pe-175-6-jpgShow Your vintage gear!-djargus-excel2-jpgShow Your vintage gear!-djargus-excel3-jpgShow Your vintage gear!-j55-4-jpgShow Your vintage gear!-j55-7-jpgShow Your vintage gear!-ibanez-jpgShow Your vintage gear!-ibanez2-jpgShow Your vintage gear!-imperial3-jpg

User Info Menu

Here's a bunch....

Show Your vintage gear!-img_1078-jpg
    1929 Gibson L-0 and 1932 L-3
    Show Your vintage gear!-blackstonezenith-jpg
    1933 Epiphone Blackstone and 1934 Zenith
    Show Your vintage gear!-regent-spartan-jpg
    1949 Epiphone Triumph Regent and 1947 Epiphone Spartan
    Show Your vintage gear!-black-jpg
    1945 Gibson L-7 and 1952 ES-150
    Show Your vintage gear!-img_1903-jpg
    1945 Gibson L-7 and 1949 L-7c
    Show Your vintage gear!-img_0027-jpg
    1953 Guild X-100 and X-150
    Show Your vintage gear!-img_2096-jpg
    1961 Guild CE-100 and CE-100DP

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ARGewirtz
    For example, the Imperial was the first guitar I ever bought. It was 1968 and I was 13 years old. I had saved $45 of my baby-sitting money and my father took me to the TSS Department Store on Cross Bay Boulevard in Queens, NY, to buy the guitar. I didn’t have enough money left over for an amp so I used to plug it into my father’s reel-to-reel tape recorder. And then there's the Ibanez 2846, which I bought new from Sam Ash in 1973. It's a true lawsuit era guitar designed to copy the Guild D50, although with its Rosewood back and sides, and spruce top this is no mere copy when it comes to quality construction and tone.Show Your vintage gear!-imperial3-jpg
    I have a parallel story to yours. In 1968, at the age of 10, I bought my first guitar from a pawn shop in Philadelphia (my mom's mom knew the owner) with money saved from snow shoveling and grass mowing (with a mechanical mower) jobs. It was a Japanese made guitar with a three tone sunburst and three pickups (I do not remember the brand). That guitar had a high action and hampered my playing. It cost me $50. When my first guitar teacher told my mom that I had natural talent but needed a better guitar, she bought me a new Guild M-20 flattop for $90 (which was a great deal ( from the music school that I was taking lessons from in White Plains, New York). That was in 1969. In high school (in suburban Chicago), I traded the Japanese guitar in on a lawsuit SG (The brand name was El Degas). Gary Gand of Gary Gand music gave me $25 trade value applied to the $165 price of the El Degas. This was in 1973. A year later, I sold both the Guild and the El Degas to buy a 1970 Gibson ES-175D. I paid $329 for the 175. That was 1974. The 175 was my only guitar until 1980 when I traded that guitar for a 1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard and a 1979 Fender Stratocaster. I think that trade was a bit in my favor and I had joined a rock band and the 175 was feeding back too much, so I needed the solid bodies. Back in the day, I always had to sell my guitars to get whatever guitars I wanted. It is very cool that you were able to keep them all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zizala
    Here's a bunch....

Show Your vintage gear!-img_1078-jpg
    1929 Gibson L-0 and 1932 L-3
    Show Your vintage gear!-blackstonezenith-jpg
    1933 Epiphone Blackstone and 1934 Zenith
    Show Your vintage gear!-regent-spartan-jpg
    1949 Epiphone Triumph Regent and 1947 Epiphone Spartan
    Show Your vintage gear!-black-jpg
    1945 Gibson L-7 and 1952 ES-150
    Show Your vintage gear!-img_1903-jpg
    1945 Gibson L-7 and 1949 L-7c
    Show Your vintage gear!-img_0027-jpg
    1953 Guild X-100 and X-150
    Show Your vintage gear!-img_2096-jpg
    1961 Guild CE-100 and CE-100DP
    Damn, save a few for the rest of us =)

User Info Menu

Forgot to show this 1956 Dynacord D16/V that sits in a modified 60ies or 70ies Lafayette cabinet:

This is a 2xEL84 amp with a 12” speaker (Fender-branded ceramic, probably 80ies or 90ies Eminence-made). I changed the tonestack of the 2nd channel to the typical AB763 values. A really nice amp for when the volumes stay modest (but it easily stays clean with a drummer, in spite of putting out only 18 watts before distortion).

I refurbished the cab myself with grey vinyl wallpaper :-)

User Info Menu

Show Your vintage gear!-img_1010-jpg

1945 Epi Triumph