The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

I recently purchased an archtop that measures 2.75” at the rims.

But the guitars specs suggest it has a body depth of 3 5/8 inches.

Can the height of the overall body truly raise the height of the body over 1/2” ?

If that’s truly the case it’s difficult to see it visually. And no, it’s not an acoustic archtop, but one with humbuckers.

Thank you!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    I recently purchased an archtop that measures 2.75” at the rims.

But the guitars specs suggest it has a body depth of 3 5/8 inches.

Can the height of the overall body truly raise the height of the body over 1/2” ?

If that’s truly the case it’s difficult to see it visually. And no, it’s not an acoustic archtop, but one with humbuckers.

Thank you!
    When I think of measuring the depth of the body it is at the rim. The height at the bridge is not taken into account. Guitar specs that are off that much are pretty bad in my opinion. I can see maybe 1/8th inch being off but your specs are too much.

User Info Menu

Yes I remember before I got my PM200 thinking that the listed 4.25” depth was a rim measurement. Nope:

Archtop Body Depth Measurements-71fdb01a-d6bf-40c7-8621-1706bba1d5fb-png

• a : Length
      20 "
    • b : Widt
      16 1/2"
    • c : Max Depth
      4 1/4"

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Yes I remember before I got my PM200 thinking that the listed 4.25” depth was a rim measurement. Nope:

Archtop Body Depth Measurements-71fdb01a-d6bf-40c7-8621-1706bba1d5fb-png

20 "
    • b : Widt
      16 1/2"
      4 1/4"
    So the guitar in question is an Ibanez LGB30. Why do the specs suggest it’s 3 5/8” depth, for when you measure the rims they’re 2.75”.

Seems that Ibanez is accounting for the height of the raised back and top, yet I still don’t see a depth of 3 5/8”. What am I missing?

User Info Menu

The LGB30 on the Ibanez site has the same diagram as the PM but as you say 3 5/8” top to bottom not rim.
    Maybe they’re trying to make their thinner hollow body look thicker in specs?)))
    I always thought a ‘real’ rim measurement would be better.

19 1/2"
      • b : Width
        15 3/4"
        3 5/8"

I was simply surprised when the guitar arrived. It’s the actual size of a Heritage 575.

User Info Menu

Half an inch isn't that much on an archtop. A quarter inch rise in both the top and back covers that, and more doesn't seem uncommon. It's rather hard to measure, though. I also prefer measuring at the rims, because that's easy enough. But some archtops have very different rim widths, tapering from the heel out to the endpin. It's complicated.

User Info Menu

They do that to ensure you get a case with the right overall depth for it.

User Info Menu

Ibanez has been playing fast n loose with their product measurements for years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    I was simply surprised when the guitar arrived. It’s the actual size of a Heritage 575.
    is it nice ? the new LGB30

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    is it nice ? the new LGB30
    New 2 me.

User Info Menu

2:
    Gonna do one of your magic photo sessions with her?
    Im hoping)
    jk

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    2:
    Gonna do one of your magic photo sessions with her?
    Im hoping)
    jk
    Ha, thank you. No, not this one. I’m afraid I’d make it look like a $4k instrument.

But it’s tone through the Rivera Suprema was quite the delight. After some setup tweaks, and lowering the action, installing GB 0.14’s, the guitar practically plays itself. The tone with the Chinese Sup 58’s is amazingly good.

This was posted for sale on the forum. I bought it because I was curious, and not expecting much. The guitar definitely exceeded my expectations!

This was an accurate demo of the guitar.

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 06-08-2022 at 02:52 PM.

User Info Menu

I agree that the standard measurement is based on rim depth at the binding. The top and back plates can vary quite a bit depending on the degree of arch, thickness and recurve but billets start out in the 1" to 1-1/4" thick range so they are always less than that. When people refer to a standard 3" deep by 17" (lower bout width) they are speaking of the rim depth.

User Info Menu

All but Ibanez lol

User Info Menu

2B I had a GB30 a while ago, got sold for funding the AF200. In retrospect I do miss it. Very comparable to my LGB300, but much lighter. The 300 seems to weigh close to my L5, which a husky little fella. I recall the neck being a bit more comfy too on the 30. Agree the not-MIJ Super 58’s sound just fine. (the only non-MIJ 58 that disappointed me is the AF95FM, Indonesian build, it seems duller than the rest.)

So I think you’re going to enjoy it! Happy Nu2UGD)