The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 48

User Info Menu

I’ve been playing acoustic guitar exclusively for over a year now, after playing primary electric for over four decades. There’s a lot that I like about acoustic - no extraneous gear and cables, pick up and play anywhere anytime, shaping the tone with nothing but your bare hands - but there are a couple of things I don’t like, as I’ve listened to myself play over time.

I don’t like any of the twangy, wiry, upper midrange “aannhh” sound that comes from roundwounds on acoustic. I’ve tried phosphor, brass, bronze, steel, nickel-bronze “zebra”, pure nickel, and - what turned out to be the best to my ear so far - monel - specifically the Martin Retros.

I also gradually moved to an even thicker pick and currently use 13-56 gauge, so I pretty sure thinness of material is not an issue.

What I seek is more fundamental tone, a rich, masculine voice - no zing no jangle, just a big warm note. Like a cello or an oud, perhaps, even more like a old school gut, silk and silver classical guitar tone.

The other thing that disturbs me is the finger noise against the string windings, much more pronounced than on electric, where I guess it is reduced by the magnetic nature of pickups.

I have considered trying flatwounds from various brands but they are expensive to experiment with. Have any of you tried and had good results from flatwounds on flattop acoustic guitar? Or have any other suggestions for string types/brands to address the above issues?

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Have you tried TI plectrums? On the 11s only the low E string is wound. I've been going back and forth between the monell's and the plectrums lately on my L7.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nopedals
    Have you tried TI plectrums? On the 11s only the low E string is wound. I've been going back and forth between the monell's and the plectrums lately on my L7.
    As far as I can tell, only the G is flat-wound on the AC111s and AC112s, the rest are round wound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nopedals
    Thanks, I’ve read about those, and I’ve used TI Flats and Bebops on electric in the past, and generally liked the tone, feel, and durability.

From Thomastik’s website, it looks like the wound strings are flats, except for the low E which is roundwound - which seems odd. Maybe they would get the nice warm tone I’m looking for, and if the wraps are pretty small and tight on the low string like on the Bebops, maybe the string noise would be less.

I’m also concerned that the low E string on the 13 set (AC113) is .61! I’m not even sure if that will go through the bridge, nut, and tuning post hole. And I do want to stay with .13s.

Thanks for the suggestion - I may order a set and hope the low string fits.

I’m open to other ideas, folks, thanks!

User Info Menu

Flat wound

Maybe these are worth a try.

User Info Menu

I love flatwound strings but I haven't tried them on any flattop acoustics. One more acoustic set to try are the Martin Silk and Steel, if you haven't already. They definitely have a warmer, mellow tone and less string noise. You lose a little on overall volume but they have a pretty rich and interesting tone. I had a set on a 30's Gibson-made ladder-braced flattop for several years and I think I prefer them to the Martin Retros I have on there now.

User Info Menu

I'm not playing a lot of flattop right now but I once experimented with some D'Addario Chromes, with interesting results. Obviously, the tone is considerably subdued. There's a guy on YouTube who did the same thing and you can judge the results.
    Other than that, you'll have to experiment with different brands, just like we do with electric strings. You may love Magmas, you may not. Good luck!

User Info Menu

Didn’t the Beatles use flatwounds on their acoustics?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    As far as I can tell, only the G is flat-wound on the AC111s and AC112s, the rest are round wound.
    The G, D and A strings on the AC111 are flatwound. I have used the AC111 for years and they give a warm, almost classical sound. The AC112 only has a flatwound G, according to Thomann‘s website.

The gauges are a bit weird. The AC111 set is very light. With the AC112 set, the high E goes up one step, but the lower strings go up considerably in diameter - .59 on the low E, I could hardly fit the string when I tried them last. I can’t begin to think what the 13 set is like.

I wish Thomastik offered a set in between the AC111 and 112. I actually put some TI Spectrums on since they come in the right gauge. The tone is still warm enough, but they are certainly no flatwounds.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

The G, D and A strings on the AC111 are flatwound. I have used the AC111 for years and they give a warm, almost classical sound. The AC112 only has a flatwound G, according to Thomann‘s website.

The gauges are a bit weird. The AC111 set is very light. With the AC112 set, the high E goes up one step, but the lower strings go up considerably in diameter - .59 on the low E, I could hardly fit the string when I tried them last. I can’t begin to think what the 13 set is like.

I wish Thomastik offered a set in between the AC111 and 112. I actually put some TI Spectrums on since they come in the right gauge. The tone is still warm enough, but they are certainly no flatwounds.

User Info Menu

Perhaps it's the guitar though, and not the strings? If your acoustic is the type that has a lot of overtones and a jingly sound (typical Taylor for example), changing strings can only do so much. For a more focused sound, Martins come to mind (to use a known brand). Or mahogany guitars, or even gypsy guitars, but these come with a very specific midrange that not everyone is into.

The dullest strings i 've tried on my Taylors are the Monet brand. To my ears they didn't get along with the guitar's sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by maxsmith
    I’m also concerned that the low E string on the 13 set (AC113) is .61! I’m not even sure if that will go through the bridge, nut, and tuning post hole. And I do want to stay with .13s.

Thanks for the suggestion - I may order a set and hope the low string fits.
    Either order the AC113 with an additional AC56 (I think that's what the low E from the AC112 set is called), order the AC112 and additional E (and B) trebles of the gauge you want. Or simply keep using the ones you already have/use; they'll sound the same anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    Are you still using them? Despite the claims on the TI site there's a notable difference for me in the winding of the G and the other strings. The G is smooth, clearly flatwound. The other strings aren't. I got fretwear on the Gs from the AC111 and AC112 sets but not on any of the other strings and when I replaced the AC111 G with an Earthwood S&S G of almost exactly the same gauge that in fact improved the balance going from D to B to my ears.
    None of that is proof, but I'll have a look through a magnifier glass.

User Info Menu

Those look interesting, thanks, hadn’t seen them before. Bronze flats, interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Flat wound

Maybe these are worth a try.

User Info Menu

Thanks a good point. My acoustic has solid spruce top and solid mahogany back, sides, and neck. I’ve considered looking for a Martin or other all solid mahogany guitar of the small bodies 12-fret type - I like smaller acoustics for the focused tone and reduced volume is not an issue for me. Maybe something like this:

000-15SM | 15 Series | Martin Guitar
    Flatwound strings for acoustic?-img_1232-jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Perhaps it's the guitar though, and not the strings? If your acoustic is the type that has a lot of overtones and a jingly sound (typical Taylor for example), changing strings can only do so much. For a more focused sound, Martins come to mind (to use a known brand). Or mahogany guitars, or even gypsy guitars, but these come with a very specific midrange that not everyone is into.

The dullest strings i 've tried on my Taylors are the Monet brand. To my ears they didn't get along with the guitar's sound.

User Info Menu

Thanks, I couldn’t find the YouTube video you mentioned but I did find this one of Joe Gore demonstrating TI Plectrum flats. In his intro he pretty much describes the same tone I’m looking for, I’ll have to have a close listen when I can get to my nice headphones.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    I'm not playing a lot of flattop right now but I once experimented with some D'Addario Chromes, with interesting results. Obviously, the tone is considerably subdued. There's a guy on YouTube who did the same thing and you can judge the results.
    Other than that, you'll have to experiment with different brands, just like we do with electric strings. You may love Magmas, you may not. Good luck!

User Info Menu

Are you still using them? Despite the claims on the TI site there's a notable difference for me in the winding of the G and the other strings. The G is smooth, clearly flatwound. The other strings aren't. I got fretwear on the Gs from the AC111 and AC112 sets but not on any of the other strings and when I replaced the AC111 G with an Earthwood S&S G of almost exactly the same gauge that in fact improved the balance going from D to B to my ears.
    None of that is proof, but I'll have a look through a magnifier glass.
    I don’t have them on my guitar right now, but I played them long enough to be positive about the AC111. As I said the AC112 are too thick for my taste, therefore I can’t remember whether the D and A were flat wounds.

ATM I am happy with the Spectrums SB111 roundwounds. I guess I just needed a little more zing.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    I don’t have them on my guitar right now, but I played them long enough to be positive about the AC111.
    Just checked with a new set I had lying around: the envelopes indeed say "flat wound" and at 8x magnification that's clearly the case (only checked the D, TBH). I must have remembered wrong, or the feeling I had was due to the beveled edges of the winding "tape" that I could feel on the D and A (and now see) but not on the G.

User Info Menu

Anyway, I installed a set of Plectrum AC111s on my mini-jumbo last year, and was quickly taken away by how much she opened up with those strings and the lowest tension I'd ever had on. The low E didn't really like drop-D though.

And then I got my Loar, and put a set of AC112s on it. After playing on that guitar for a while, going back to the jumbo she sounded flat & dull. Since then I've tried the Spectrums on her (probably the best PB steel strings I tried but still not my taste) and now have a set of monel silk & steels on. That set is interesting, at least.

User Info Menu

Which goes to show that there is not a best set of strings, but just a best set of strings for a given guitar at a given point in time.

User Info Menu

Who makes the monel silk and steel set?

Anyway, I installed a set of Plectrum AC111s on my mini-jumbo last year, and was quickly taken away by how much she opened up with those strings and the lowest tension I'd ever had on. The low E didn't really like drop-D though.

And then I got my Loar, and put a set of AC112s on it. After playing on that guitar for a while, going back to the jumbo she sounded flat & dull. Since then I've tried the Spectrums on her (probably the best PB steel strings I tried but still not my taste) and now have a set of monel silk & steels on. That set is interesting, at least.

User Info Menu

Here you go.
    Joe Gore sounded good.

User Info Menu

Plectrum user here. I think it does the trick, but you could go one weirder with the Thomastik KR 116, or the KF 110 to avoid having to file the nut. They're designed for classical guitars, but they've got ball ends, so why not? In fact, if no one else does it I'll do it myself as soon as I decide upon what steel string guitar to buy.

User Info Menu

Who makes the monel silk and steel set?
    Pyramid, by custom order. They can also make monel-wound classical strings, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by mr quick
    you could go one weirder with the Thomastik KR 116, or the KF 110 to avoid having to file the nut. They're designed for classical guitars
    If the KR set is the one with tape-wound rope-core trebles: I've used those (B & E) on my jumbo without having filed the nut. It works, but you have to be very careful bringing them up to tension (maybe I did that outside of the nut slots). The E broke for me because I wasn't careful enough, but fortunately between nut and tuner so I could use a double fisherman's knot to tie the 2 pieces together again.

However, as you said these are strings for classical guitar. They're OK'ish for fingerpicking on a steel-string acoustic but don't expect to get a lot of volume out of them and they may feel like rubber bands.

One weirder would also be a set of nylon tape-wounds (Pyramid, La Bella or Galli make them).

User Info Menu

Happy to see this thread.
    I've been wondering the same thing.
    I'm writing more things on acoustic guitar lately but I don't like the squeak. (I use flatwounds on my Tele and PRE SE Custom; not just to end the squeak, either: I prefer that tone.) But I hadn't tried flats on my acoustic (Eastman E10M).
    Now I have a lot to think about...

User Info Menu

What I seek is more fundamental tone, a rich, masculine voice - no zing no jangle, just a big warm note. Like a cello or an oud, perhaps, even more like a old school gut, silk and silver classical guitar tone.
    I have been using silk and steel strings on my Seagull Coastline Grand, a small steel-string parlor guitar. They give me a smooth, easy playability and a mellow tone reminiscent of gut/nylon classical strings. Martin and D'Addario both make nice string sets. The largest gauge available seem to be 11s, but the lighter strings seem to go well with the small guitar.

Martin Retro Monels go well with my Martin 00-15M all-mahogany guitar. They don't "shimmer" or squeak as much as phosphor-bronze strings. I use 12s, my normal gauge, on the Martin.