The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Grover makes Romotatic Tuners with the one screw mount. These have classic round almost D shaped buttons. They also make Imperial rotomatics with one screw mount. Does anyone know if they are drop in replacements with same footprint on headstock?

There are imperials with 2 screw mounts also but I am not taking about those.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The foot print of those two is identical I have done this 4 or 5 times mickmac

Quote Originally Posted by mickmac
    The foot print of those two is identical I have done this 4 or 5 times mickmac
    Many thanks as I was pretty sure. My vestex Dangelico NY from 2001 has them and just looking at them they look the same.

User Info Menu

I have one guitar with each of them right now, and I have to say I really prefer the Imperials! Makes me think I should change the other one out.

Quote Originally Posted by bluejaybill
    I have one guitar with each of them right now, and I have to say I really prefer the Imperials! Makes me think I should change the other one out.
    Do you like the Imperials because they look better or work better? I am up in the air. At one time I like the Imperials much better but on some guitars the rounded button look better and more natural.

User Info Menu

I keep thinking about the white Imperial tuning buttons that are available, and maybe changing my gold ones to the white ones instead...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Do you like the Imperials because they look better or work better? I am up in the air. At one time I like the Imperials much better but on some guitars the rounded button look better and more natural.
    Because they work better. I actually wasn't sure I would like the ones that came on a guitar that I ordered, but they work great and have a great ratio, it seems finer than the regular Grovers, though I'm not sure? But I get that the round ones look better on some guitars; on the Borys I have I think the Imperials might be a bit much.

Plus I put the regular Grovers on several nice guitars in my life and hated myself for it! But I never particularly was wowed by their performance either.

User Info Menu

The kidney bean shaped ones are now a ratio of 18 to 1 whereas the imperial tuners are only a ratio of 14 to 1
    I have a set of those white pearl imperials on my 18 inch Campellone special
    God it looks pretty

BigMike

User Info Menu

The buttons should be interchangeable. It's easy to change them, one screw each, but as most probably know, the string tension needs to be released before changing, otherwise it's hard to get the proper screw tightness, which controls the position of the threads. I've thought about changing to the Imperial buttons, but my tuners aren't Grovers, so they won't fit because my shafts are smaller. They will go on, but would be very floppy.

User Info Menu

I have Super Rotomatics on my MIK D'Angelico. They look cool and work well as far as tuning goes. But they stick out more than the regular Grover buttons and often get knocked on the way in and out of the case, putting the guitar out of tune.