The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Which guitar tonight for a solo gig?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1973 Gibson L-5CES

15 41.67%
  • 1953 Gibson L-7C

6 16.67%
  • Benedetto Bravo

5 13.89%
  • Trenier Custom RW

10 27.78%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

Can't decide myself, leaving it up to you guys (though in full disclosure I voted for the L-5). I have a 2 hour solo guitar gig, bringing one guitar to play through my DV Mark Jazz.

Poll Decides: Which Archtop to play tonight?-img-4875-jpg
    Poll Decides: Which Archtop to play tonight?-img-4876-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Poll Decides: Which Archtop to play tonight?-img-4874-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Leave them at home at take your ibby af55.

User Info Menu

An enviable position to be in! Just from the standpoint of (God forbid) replacement, I'd go with the L-5CES.

Also, L5-CES!

User Info Menu

Depends on the venue I guess.

Poll Decides: Which Archtop to play tonight?-9845c6fb-c051-45f0-b110-758fdf696c1c-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Depends on the venue I guess.

Poll Decides: Which Archtop to play tonight?-9845c6fb-c051-45f0-b110-758fdf696c1c-jpeg
    Ha fair point. Unfortunately no Good ole Boys, no country, and no western. Playing cocktail event at an upscale space, so no worries on any of the gear surviving.

User Info Menu

L5 opening up a commanding lead. I thought that would be the case, but I assumed the L7 and the Trenier might give it a run for the money.

Very, VERY fortunate to be in a place to choose from these fine instruments. Lots of years of hard work, gigs, trades, teaching, sales, etc to get to this spot. Any of these guitars would be great and up to the task.

User Info Menu

If you need to decide this way... you have too many (too good) guitars)))

User Info Menu

No brainer I have a jazz guitar gig and I pull out my L5.

User Info Menu

i vote the L7 .... cos it looks the best

User Info Menu

If the Trenier has an airier more acoustic sound I would pick that for a solo gig, since there is probably not going to be a feedback problem.

L5 for a group gig.

All bets off if you don't play them equally well!

User Info Menu

Your Trenier looks like it came from about the time as mine. Mine is #1058. What is yours?

User Info Menu

So I have the same issue to consider in about two weeks.
    Choices: 71 Gibson L7 C with a Lollar floater or a 74 Gibson Johnny Smith with the standard floater.
    Solo guitar, quick 1 hr gig, after dinner entertainment at a church meeting. Probably will run it through a newly purchased Bud 10 - if it arrives in time.
    At this point, leaning to the L7 because its incredibly light, has a quick neck, and an acceptable sound with the Lollar. But the JS has a richer, warmer sound. It will be interesting to hear how each sounds through a Bud 10
    shreddin

User Info Menu

What are these grandpa guitars? Why they are all brown? How can you play with only six strings?

Sell them and get a Strandberg.

User Info Menu

I guess it depends on how large a place and how loud you will need to play. Is that an original McCarty? The knobs are different.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I guess it depends on how large a place and how loud you will need to play. Is that an original McCarty? The knobs are different.
    It is not, repro McCarty with a Lollar pickup.

User Info Menu

FWIW, the sunburst L5-CES is worth automatic jazz guitarist cred as soon as you pull it out of the case. People simply assume that you belong at the gig when they see it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    If you need to decide this way... you have too many (too good) guitars)))
    "Too many" and "guitars" in a sentence. Does not compute! Danger, Will Robinson!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M.
    Your Trenier looks like it came from about the time as mine. Mine is #1058. What is yours?
    Poll Decides: Which Archtop to play tonight?-img-4883-jpg

Hard to make out, but it appears that it is either #1027 or #1037. I couldn't really get a better view of it. He calls it a "Broadway Custom" on the handwriting on the top.

I messaged Bryant and he confirmed it was a one off custom build for a customer compelted in 2006.

User Info Menu

Democracy wins, L-5CES was on the gig last night. Here's some proof:

Poll Decides: Which Archtop to play tonight?-img-4877-2-jpg
    Last edited by Paulie2; 06-02-2022 at 03:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    FWIW, the sunburst L5-CES is worth automatic jazz guitarist cred as soon as you pull it out of the case. People simply assume that you belong at the gig when they see it.
    I would doubt that he would have any problem with that Trenier either!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie2

Looks and I'm sure sounds great! Do you always gig with a backup guitar strap?

User Info Menu

No offense, but the clip on tuner kind of mess up the aesthetics…

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie2

That's a really beautiful guitar. Is the tuner safe on the nitro? I have felt pads on mine!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    That's a really beautiful guitar. Is the tuner safe on the nitro? I have felt pads on mine!
    I mentioned this before, but a friend has a beautiful 50s Gibson archtop and when visiting I asked him to take the snark off it's headstock and sure enough it left an impression in the lacquer.
    I use headstock clip ons at home but they go on and come right off.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohanAbrandt
    No offense, but the clip on tuner kind of mess up the aesthetics…
    Ha fair enough. I thought to grab a pic last minute before I started and didn't think of the tuner aesthetics. Some people might be into a royal blue snark look, I'm not really one myself. But at least I was in tune!